|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: “1954: Applause and Acclaim” — “Adulthood”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The director of what theatre lured Anna Ubanova back to the stage in 1948?
(a) The Kiev Theatre.
(b) The Maly Theatre.
(c) The Lortel Theatre.
(d) The Alton Theatre.
2. In Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim," the Count tells Sofia, "For what matters in life is not whether we receive a round of applause; what matters is" what?
(a) "Whether we have the courage to venture forth despite the uncertainty of acclaim."
(b) "Whether or not we tried."
(c) "Whether or not our voices were heard amidst the din of civilization."
(d) "Whether or not we gave our efforts toward the noble cause."
3. By what affectionate name does the Count refer to the grand dining room off the lobby at the Hotel Metropole?
(a) The Shalyapin.
(b) The Boyarsky.
(c) The Idlehour.
(d) The Piazza.
4. In Book 3: "Arachne's Art," the narrator asserts, "History is the business of identifying momentous events from the comfort of" what?
(a) "A great wealth."
(b) "A perception of thought."
(c) "A throne."
(d) "A high-back chair."
5. Who is the fruit seller that Count Rostov calls out to when he is escorted from the Kremlin onto Red Square in Book 1: "1922: An Ambassador"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is holding their second meeting while the Count and Nina spy from the ballroom balcony in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
2. Whose musical composition does Sofia play in the competition in Book 4: "1953: Apostles and Apostates"?
3. What word is repeatedly used to describe Sofia's demeanor in Book 4: "1950: Adagio, Andante, Allegro"?
4. Who rushes up to the Count and tells him that he must convince Sofia to perform overseas in Book 5: "1954: Applause and Acclaim"?
5. The Count tells Nina in Book 1: "Anyway..." "Manners are not like" what?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)