|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: “Adjustments” — “Addendum”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Halecki call the Count to his office in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
(a) To tell him that the KGB has been asking for him.
(b) To tell him that he is being evicted from the hotel.
(c) To tell him that he is being fired as headwaiter at the Boyarsky.
(d) To tell him that the staff has been instructed not to use honorifics when addressing him.
2. What activity does the narrator describe the Count doing in detail in Book 3: "1930"?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Making coffee.
(d) Taking a shower.
3. What color is the smoking jacket that the Count wears to celebrate his anniversary of confinement at the Hotel Metropole in Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
4. On what date do the Count and Nina sneak into the balcony in Book 1: "An Assembly"?
(a) March 12.
(b) June 3.
(c) August 2.
(d) June 21.
5. In Book 3: "An Afternoon Assignation," the narrator states, "But art is the most unnatural minion of the state. Not only is it created by fanciful people who tire of repetition even more quickly than they tire of being told what to do, it is also vexingly" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count do in order to stop the actress's dogs from chasing the cat in Book 2: "1923: An Actress, an Apparition, an Apiary"?
2. What is the name of Dr. Stahlbaum's children?
3. When the Count is in Halecki's office in Book 1: "An Assembly," he finds a hidden compartment two panels beyond what etching?
4. In Book 3: "Arachne's Art," the narrator asserts, "History is the business of identifying momentous events from the comfort of" what?
5. When did the Count's father have his clock commissioned?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)