|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassie complain of after swimming in the pond?
2. Where does Mr. Hall go to trade wares and make purchases?
3. What is the name the Hall children now use for Ann?
4. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
5. Who helps the Shipman family after Cassie's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
2. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
3. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
4. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
7. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
8. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
9. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
10. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)