|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
3. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
4. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
5. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
2. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
3. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
4. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
5. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
6. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
7. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
8. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
9. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 2
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)