|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comparison does Catherine make of herself and the new teacher?
2. Why do Mr. Hall and Ann have an argument?
3. What is the name the Hall children now use for Ann?
4. Who is the first person to welcome Ann as a neighbor?
5. Who gets married in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
2. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
3. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
4. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
5. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
6. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
8. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
9. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
10. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)