|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
2. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
3. What is the profession of the Jewish man that Catherine meets?
4. Whose pregnancy is announced in Chapter 18?
5. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
2. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
3. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
4. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
8. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)