|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
2. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
3. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
4. With whom has Daniel made friends?
5. What happens to Cassie after she gets a fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
2. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
3. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
4. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
5. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
6. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
7. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
8. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
9. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
10. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)