|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ann's son?
2. What items of Ann's does Mr. Hall share with Catherine?
3. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
4. Who gets married in Chapter 17?
5. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
2. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
3. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
4. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
5. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
7. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
8. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
9. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
10. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)