|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Mr. Hall to be married?
2. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
3. Who leaves flowers on a note for Catherine?
4. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
5. What does Ann ban from the Hall household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
2. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
3. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
4. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
5. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
6. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
9. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
10. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)