|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
2. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
3. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
4. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
5. What items of Ann's does Mr. Hall share with Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
2. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
3. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
4. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
7. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
8. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
9. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Catherine, Mr. Hall and Ann. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)