|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year is it when Chapter 10 begins?
2. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
3. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
4. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
5. What happens to Cassie after she gets a fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
2. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
4. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
5. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
6. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
7. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
8. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
9. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
10. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)