|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Catherine's mother is referenced in a conversation?
2. Where does the new Hall family go where they are on display for the community?
3. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
4. Who is Cassie's older brother?
5. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
2. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
3. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
4. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
7. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
8. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
9. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
10. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Catherine, Mr. Hall and Ann. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)