|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine vow not to call Ann?
2. What is in the package that Catherine receives?
3. What task does Catherine object to doing?
4. What project is Catherine working on at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. The preacher tells of an entire family killed _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
2. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
3. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
4. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
5. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
6. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
8. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
9. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
10. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)