|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comparison does Catherine make of herself and the new teacher?
2. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
3. What is the name of Ann's son?
4. What task does Catherine object to doing?
5. What do the girls wear on their dresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
2. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
3. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
4. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
5. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
6. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
7. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
8. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
9. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
10. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)