|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
2. What items of Ann's does Mr. Hall share with Catherine?
3. What is the name of Ann's son?
4. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
5. What ailment does Cassie develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
2. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
3. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
4. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
5. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
6. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
7. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
8. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
9. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
10. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)