|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
2. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
3. What is the result of the incident at school?
4. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
5. What do Catherine and Cassie do at the Shipman house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
2. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
3. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
7. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
8. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)