|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
2. What does Ann ban from the Hall household?
3. What brings joy to Matty?
4. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
5. What ailment does Cassie develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
2. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
3. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
4. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
5. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
6. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
7. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
8. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
9. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
10. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)