|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
2. What about Catherine's mother is referenced in a conversation?
3. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
4. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
5. What items of Ann's does Mr. Hall share with Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
2. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
3. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
4. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
8. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
9. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
10. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)