|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann ban from the Hall household?
2. Who gets married in Chapter 17?
3. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
4. What big change does Cassie point out that Ann has to make?
5. What is in the package that Catherine receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
2. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
3. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
5. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
6. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
7. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
8. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
9. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
10. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)