|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
2. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
3. What new person does Ann employ?
4. What does Sophy pin on her dress?
5. What brings joy to Matty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
2. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
3. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
4. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
9. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)