|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the incident at school?
2. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
3. Ann is sensitive to Catherine's feelings regarding what?
4. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
5. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
2. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
3. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
4. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
5. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
6. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
9. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
10. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery takes on a human persona in this story in the form of the phantom. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 3
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)