|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine vow not to call Ann?
2. Who does Mr. Hall plan to marry?
3. What is the name of Ann's son?
4. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
5. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
2. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
3. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
4. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
5. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
6. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
9. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
10. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)