|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task does Catherine object to doing?
2. What does Catherine make for the new baby?
3. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
4. What is the name of Ann's son?
5. What is in the package that Catherine receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
2. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
3. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
4. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
7. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
8. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
9. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
10. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)