|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann ban from the Hall household?
2. Which student surprisingly admits to wanting more schooling?
3. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
4. Why does Catherine complain about her project?
5. How long is Mr. Hall gone on his business trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
6. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
10. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)