|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Hall go to trade wares and make purchases?
2. How long has Catherine kept her journal?
3. Who is the package from?
4. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
5. What does Uncle Jack do that Ann finds offensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
4. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
5. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
6. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
7. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
8. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
9. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
10. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 3
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)