|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What does Mr. Hall suggest that Catherine send with him when he returns to Boston to marry Ann?
3. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
4. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
5. What do the girls wear on their dresses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
2. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
3. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
4. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
5. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
6. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
7. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
8. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
9. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
10. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)