|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
2. Mr. Hall believes Negroes should ___________________.
3. In what format is the story written?
4. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
5. How old does Catherine turn in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
2. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
3. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
4. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
5. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
6. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
7. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
8. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
9. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
10. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)