|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
2. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
3. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
4. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
5. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
2. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
3. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
4. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
5. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
6. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
7. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
8. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
9. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
10. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Catherine, Mr. Hall and Ann. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)