|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wipes away Catherine's tears when she cries about the quilt?
2. Which of Catherine's classmates must leave home to work?
3. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
4. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
5. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
2. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
3. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
4. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
5. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
6. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
7. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
8. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
9. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
10. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)