|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
2. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
3. What do the men believe regarding the girls learning math?
4. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
5. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
2. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
3. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
4. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
5. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
6. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
7. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
8. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
9. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
10. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)