|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
2. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
3. From whose home does Mr. Holt move?
4. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
5. Asa tells Catherine that he has information about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
2. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
3. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
4. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
6. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
9. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
10. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)