|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Asa not discover missing?
2. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
3. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
4. Who makes a surprise visit to the Halls' home?
5. What is different about the writing book when Catherine finds it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
2. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
3. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
4. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
5. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
6. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
7. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
8. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
9. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
10. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Catherine, Mr. Hall and Ann. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)