|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
2. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
3. Who is Catherine's friend?
4. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
5. What new items do the Hall girls need when spring comes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
2. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
3. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
4. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
5. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
6. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
7. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
10. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)