|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Shipmans accuse of taking the item from the storeroom?
2. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
3. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
4. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
5. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
2. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
3. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
4. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
5. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
6. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
7. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
8. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
9. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
10. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)