|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Catherine turn in Chapter 8?
2. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
3. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
4. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
5. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
2. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
3. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
4. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
5. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
6. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
7. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
10. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Catherine, Mr. Hall and Ann. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)