|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
2. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
3. What does Catherine see Mr. Holt doing with a group of boys one day?
4. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
5. Why do the girls have exceptions regarding learning arithmetic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
2. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
4. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
7. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
8. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
9. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
10. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)