|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
2. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
3. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
5. What is made from the tree sap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,602 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)