|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
2. What has happened to Catherine's mother?
3. Catherine tells her father about boys who ________________________.
4. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
5. To what does Mr. Holt agree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
2. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
3. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
4. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
5. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
6. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
7. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
8. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
9. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
10. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)