|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
2. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
3. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
5. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
2. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
3. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
4. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
5. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
6. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
7. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
8. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
9. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
10. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)