Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
2. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
3. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
5. What is made from the tree sap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 2
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)