|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine work on while at home?
2. What is Mr. Hall's position on runaway slaves?
3. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
4. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
5. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
2. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
3. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
4. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
5. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
6. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
7. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
10. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding quilts. What do quilts symbolize for Catherine? Cite two examples of symbolism regarding quilts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the phantom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating the phantom in the story?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)