Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
2. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
3. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
5. What is made from the tree sap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)