|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new items do the Hall girls need when spring comes?
2. What blocks passage on the roads?
3. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
4. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
5. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
2. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
3. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
4. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
5. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
6. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
7. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
8. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
9. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
10. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)