|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Catherine turn in Chapter 8?
2. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
3. What is made from the tree sap?
4. What does Catherine vow to do about the apparition?
5. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
2. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
3. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
4. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
5. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
6. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
7. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
8. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
9. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
10. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery takes on a human persona in this story in the form of the phantom. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in the 1830s in New England. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)