|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
2. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
3. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
4. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
5. Mrs. Hall is remembered as a woman of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
2. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
3. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
4. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
5. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
6. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
7. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
8. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
9. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
10. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)