|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
2. Who takes care of Matty when she falls ill?
3. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
4. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
5. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
2. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
3. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
4. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
5. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
6. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
7. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
8. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
9. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
10. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 3
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)