|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
2. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
3. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
4. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
5. What new items do the Hall girls need when spring comes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
2. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
3. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
4. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
5. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
6. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
7. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
8. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
9. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
10. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophy has been sent to Lowell, Massachusetts to work in the mills. Explain the mills. What did they manufacture? Why were children sent to work at them? Why is Sophy so distraught at being forced to go?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)