|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine believes that _____________ has taken the item from the storeroom?
2. What does Catherine work on while at home?
3. Who is Cassie's brother?
4. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
5. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
2. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
3. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
4. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
5. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
6. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
7. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
8. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
9. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
Essay Topic 1
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 2
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story A GATHERING OF DAYS? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)