|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
2. What is the last name of the runaway boy who becomes a Russian Count?
3. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
5. What did Mr. Holt's friend, Mr. Garrison, find?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
2. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
3. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
4. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
5. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
6. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
7. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
8. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
9. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
10. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the discord between Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall on the topic of runaway slaves. What were their opposing positions? How does Catherine get caught between what she believes and what her father believes on the topic?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Slavery takes on a human persona in this story in the form of the phantom. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)