|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
2. Why do the girls have exceptions regarding learning arithmetic?
3. In what state does Catherine live?
4. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
5. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
2. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
3. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
4. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
5. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
6. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
7. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
8. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
9. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
10. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A GATHERING OF DAYS is a classic coming of age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Slavery takes on a human persona in this story in the form of the phantom. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)