|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
2. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
3. Who is Mrs. Shipman's sister?
4. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
5. Who takes care of Matty when she falls ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
2. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
3. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
4. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
5. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
6. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
7. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
8. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
9. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
10. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Hall. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)