|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
2. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
3. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
4. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
5. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
2. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
3. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
4. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
5. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
6. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
7. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
8. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
9. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
10. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Catherine's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us understand the past?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)