|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's last name?
2. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
3. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
4. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
5. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
2. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
3. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
4. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
5. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
6. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
7. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
10. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the first Mrs Hall and the second Mrs. Hall. How are they different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery takes on a human persona in this story in the form of the phantom. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)