|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
2. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
3. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
4. To whose home does Mr. Holt move?
5. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
2. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
3. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
4. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
5. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
6. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
7. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
10. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine begins to show signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Catherine is growing up and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)