|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
(a) She goes away to school.
(b) She moves to Providence.
(c) She leaves to work in the mills.
(d) She visits her grandmother.
2. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
(b) Collars and cuffs.
(d) Hope chest.
3. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
(a) Church camp.
(c) Aunt Lucy's house.
(d) Private school.
4. Which student surprisingly admits to wanting more schooling?
5. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
(a) Throws them away.
(b) Dyes them black.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Gives them away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
2. What does Catherine vow not to call Ann?
3. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
4. What is in the package that Catherine receives?
5. Who is Cassie's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
2. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
3. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
4. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
5. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
6. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
7. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
8. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
9. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)