|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who supervises Catherine's project?
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mr. Hall.
2. What does Uncle Jack do that Ann finds offensive?
(a) Wipes his nose on his shirt sleeve.
(b) Tells a joke.
(c) Talks with his mouth full.
(d) Tracks mud on the floor.
3. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Dyes them black.
(d) Gives them away.
4. Who leaves flowers on a note for Catherine?
5. Catherine helps Asa write a verse to ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
2. The preacher tells of an entire family killed _______________.
3. Whose pregnancy is announced in Chapter 18?
4. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
5. Who is Cassie's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
2. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
3. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
4. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
5. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
6. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
7. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
8. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
10. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)