|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mr. Hall and Ann have an argument?
(a) Uncle Jack leaves early because Ann doesn't like a joke he told.
(b) Ann refuses to help at the farm.
(c) Ann keeps burning every meal.
(d) Ann spends too much money.
2. Who is Mr. Holt courting?
(a) Aunt Lucy.
(b) Miss Mumson.
(c) Miss Hallowell.
(d) Mrs. Lowell.
3. What is the profession of the Jewish man that Catherine meets?
4. How long has Catherine kept her journal?
(a) One month.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
5. Who helps the Shipman family after Cassie's death?
(a) Mama Holt.
(c) Mama Pierce.
(d) Mother Brody.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine helps Asa write a verse to ___________.
2. How long is Mr. Hall gone on his business trip?
3. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
4. What does Catherine vow not to call Ann?
5. What about Catherine's mother is referenced in a conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
2. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
3. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
4. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
5. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
6. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
7. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
8. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
9. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
10. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)