|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
2. What time of year is it when Chapter 10 begins?
(a) The end of the school year.
(b) The beginning of the school year.
(d) Christmas vacation.
3. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
(a) Aunt Lucy.
(b) The first Mrs. Hall.
(c) Mrs. Hanson.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
4. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
(a) She moves to Providence.
(b) She visits her grandmother.
(c) She leaves to work in the mills.
(d) She goes away to school.
5. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets married in Chapter 17?
2. Who leaves flowers on a note for Catherine?
3. Who is the package from?
4. Who does Mr. Hall plan to marry?
5. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
2. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
3. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
4. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
9. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
10. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)