|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ann is sensitive to Catherine's feelings regarding what?
(d) Household matters.
2. What ailment does Cassie develop?
(b) A cold.
(c) Poison ivy.
(d) A fever.
3. In what month is Mr. Hall to be married?
4. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
(a) How to care for a sick child.
(b) Where to plant the herb garden.
(c) Where to send Daniel to school.
(d) Who Catherine should marry.
5. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) A new wardrobe.
(d) A new pair of boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings joy to Matty?
2. What about Catherine's mother is referenced in a conversation?
3. What does Sophy pin on her dress?
4. Whose pregnancy is announced in Chapter 18?
5. Who is Cassie's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
2. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
3. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
4. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
5. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
7. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
8. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
9. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
10. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)