|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hall suggest that Catherine send with him when he returns to Boston to marry Ann?
(a) Handmade lace.
(b) A Bible.
(d) A letter answering Ann's questions.
2. Catherine helps Asa write a verse to ___________.
3. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
4. Where does Mr. Hall go to trade wares and make purchases?
(c) New York.
5. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
(a) The weather is too hot to go to school.
(b) A swarm of locusts invades the town.
(c) The rains cause flooding in the town.
(d) The new teacher arrives late.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
2. Where will Mr. Holt and Aunt Lucy live after their marriage?
3. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
5. What brings joy to Matty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
2. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
3. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
4. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
5. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
6. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
7. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
8. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
9. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
10. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)