|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the incident at school?
(a) Daniel was expelled.
(b) Daniel is sent to the army.
(c) Catherine and Matty will change schools.
(d) Catherine and Matty will be home schooled.
2. Who supervises Catherine's project?
(a) Mr. Hall.
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Holt.
3. What brings joy to Matty?
(a) Playing with her dolls.
(b) Going swimming.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Making candy.
4. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
(a) Who Catherine should marry.
(b) Where to send Daniel to school.
(c) How to care for a sick child.
(d) Where to plant the herb garden.
5. Why does Catherine complain about her project?
(a) She is making too big a mess.
(b) She doesn't like the colors she chose.
(c) She thinks she is too slow.
(d) She would rather play outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
2. Where will Mr. Holt and Aunt Lucy live after their marriage?
3. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
4. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
5. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
2. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
3. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
4. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
5. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
6. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
7. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
8. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
9. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
10. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)