|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hall suggest that Catherine send with him when he returns to Boston to marry Ann?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A letter answering Ann's questions.
(d) Handmade lace.
2. What ailment does Cassie develop?
(a) A cold.
(b) Poison ivy.
(d) A fever.
3. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
(a) a metaphor.
(c) an analogy.
(d) a flashback.
4. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
(a) Killer hurricanes.
(b) A Negro revolt.
(c) Widespread flooding.
(d) Swarms of locusts destroying crops.
5. What does Catherine procure from the Jewish man?
(a) Hebrew lessons.
(d) Sewing items.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
2. With whom has Daniel made friends?
3. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
4. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
5. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
2. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
3. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
4. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
5. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
6. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
7. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
8. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
9. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)