|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine see that Ann is doing when Catherine cries?
(a) She is ready to spank her.
(b) She is stirring the kettle.
(c) She has left the room.
(d) She cries too.
2. What ailment does Cassie develop?
(a) A fever.
(c) A cold.
(d) Poison ivy.
3. What has Mr. Hall had made for his trip to Boston?
(a) A new pair of boots.
(b) A new coat.
(c) A new wardrobe.
(d) A new carriage.
4. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
(a) Horseback riding.
(b) Singing around a campfire.
(c) Swimming in the pond.
(d) Making pies.
5. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Uncle Jack.
(b) Mr. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
2. Where does the new Hall family go where they are on display for the community?
3. What does Catherine make for the new baby?
4. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
5. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
2. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
4. What is the irony related to judging in the church?
5. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
6. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
7. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
8. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
10. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)