|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and Cassie do at the Shipman house?
(a) The laundry.
2. What is the name of Ann's son?
3. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
(a) Church camp.
(b) Aunt Lucy's house.
(c) Private school.
4. What does Sophy pin on her dress?
(a) A nosegay.
(b) A brooch.
(c) A braided lock of Asa's hair.
(d) A ribbon.
5. What task does Catherine object to doing?
(a) Making syrup.
(b) Churning butter.
(c) Making a quilt.
(d) Sewing aprons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
2. With whom has Daniel made friends?
3. Who is Mr. Holt courting?
4. What is the name the Hall children now use for Ann?
5. Who is Cassie's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
2. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
3. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
4. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
5. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
6. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
8. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
9. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)