|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine receive in the mail?
(a) A trunk.
(b) A package.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A letter.
2. What is the profession of the Jewish man that Catherine meets?
3. Who supervises Catherine's project?
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
4. Catherine helps Asa write a verse to ___________.
5. What does Catherine make for the new baby?
(a) A blanket.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A cap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the new Hall family go where they are on display for the community?
2. How long is Mr. Hall gone on his business trip?
3. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
4. What does Ann ban from the Hall household?
5. With whom has Daniel made friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
2. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
3. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
4. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
5. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
6. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
7. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
8. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
9. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
10. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)