|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Holt courting?
(a) Miss Mumson.
(b) Aunt Lucy.
(c) Miss Hallowell.
(d) Mrs. Lowell.
2. What comparison does Catherine make of herself and the new teacher?
(a) They have the same middle name.
(b) They are almost the same age.
(c) They have the same color eyes.
(d) They are nearly the same height.
3. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
4. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
5. What does Catherine receive in the mail?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A package.
(c) A letter.
(d) A trunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Hall go to trade wares and make purchases?
2. What is the name of Ann's son?
3. What brings joy to Matty?
4. The preacher tells of an entire family killed _______________.
5. Who supervises Catherine's project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
2. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
3. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
4. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
5. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
6. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
7. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
10. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)