|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comparison does Catherine make of herself and the new teacher?
(a) They have the same middle name.
(b) They have the same color eyes.
(c) They are nearly the same height.
(d) They are almost the same age.
2. What is the result of the incident at school?
(a) Catherine and Matty will change schools.
(b) Daniel was expelled.
(c) Daniel is sent to the army.
(d) Catherine and Matty will be home schooled.
3. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
4. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
5. Where is Mr. Hall's wedding to take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
2. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
3. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
4. On what do Ann and Mr. Hall disagree?
5. What big change does Cassie point out that Ann has to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
2. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
3. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
4. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
5. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
6. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
7. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
8. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
9. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
10. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)