|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Jack do that Ann finds offensive?
(a) Tracks mud on the floor.
(b) Talks with his mouth full.
(c) Wipes his nose on his shirt sleeve.
(d) Tells a joke.
2. Who supervises Catherine's project?
(a) Mr. Hall.
(b) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
3. What type of flowers are left on a note for Catherine?
4. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
(a) Dyes them black.
(b) Throws them away.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Gives them away.
5. Who is Cassie's older brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Cassie invites Catherine to her home to see ___________________.
2. What ailment does Cassie develop?
3. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
4. What task does Catherine object to doing?
5. What do Catherine and Cassie do at the Shipman house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
2. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
3. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
4. How does Cassie help Catherine get a new perspective on Ann's arrival?
5. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
7. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
8. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
9. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
10. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)