|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new person does Ann employ?
2. Who is Mr. Holt courting?
(a) Miss Hallowell.
(b) Aunt Lucy.
(c) Mrs. Lowell.
(d) Miss Mumson.
3. What do Catherine and Cassie do at the Shipman house?
(d) The laundry.
4. What does Ann require that Catherine and Matty do?
(a) Making jams and preserves.
(b) Spring planting.
(c) Churning butter.
(d) Spring cleaning.
5. Cassie invites Catherine to her home to see ___________________.
(a) her new baby brother.
(b) her new bedroom furniture.
(c) her new dresses.
(d) a new mural.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ann is sensitive to Catherine's feelings regarding what?
2. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
3. What task does Catherine object to doing?
4. Whose pregnancy is announced in Chapter 18?
5. What is the name the Hall children now use for Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
2. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
3. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
4. How does the author use flashbacks to help communicate Catherine's feelings about the death of her mother and baby brother?
5. Describe the arrival of Ann and Daniel.
6. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
7. What name does Catherine feel comfortable calling Ann?
8. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
9. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
10. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)