Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
(a) He wants to defy his father.
(b) He wants to set a good example.
(c) He is helping Catherine.
(d) He is saving the phantom's life.
2. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
(a) Cooling temperatures.
(b) Humidity level.
(d) Water level.
3. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
(a) in the icehouse.
(b) in the woods.
(c) after a bath.
(d) after thrashings.
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They are frightened too.
(b) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(c) They tease her.
(d) They believe her.
5. What is made from the tree sap?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
2. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
3. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
4. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
5. What keeps Catherine home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
2. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
3. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
4. Describe how Ann is becoming both physically and emotionally stronger since her arrival at the Hall household.
5. Describe how the boys in the class revolt against the new teacher's severe punishment measures.
6. Describe the transition dynamic within the Hall household by this point in time.
7. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
8. How does Ann alienate Uncle Jack when he comes for a visit and how does Mr. Hall react?
9. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
10. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)