|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
(a) Cooling temperatures.
(b) Water level.
(c) Humidity level.
2. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
(a) He will think about it in a couple years.
(b) No plans.
(c) He is thinking about it.
(d) He wants to propose this month.
3. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
(a) Planting corn.
(b) Raising a barn.
(c) Collecting tree sap.
(d) Building a fence.
4. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
(a) Let him sleep in the barn.
(b) Give him some clothes.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Turn him in.
5. Who makes a surprise visit to the Halls' home?
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mr. Formsby.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
2. Who is Catherine's friend?
3. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
4. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
5. Which of the children complains about school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Cassie getting cold after swimming?
3. Explain why spring is a metaphor for the new dynamics of the Hall family.
4. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
5. How is trust exhibited between Mr. Hall and Mr. Shipman?
6. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
7. What are the circumstances that precipitate Catherine's leaving home?
8. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
9. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
10. Cite examples that support the theme of loss in Chapter 17.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)