|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The M. home.
(b) The Shipman home.
(c) The Hall home.
(d) The Voiles home.
2. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
3. Who makes a surprise visit to the Halls' home?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Formsby.
4. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
(a) The day she was baptized.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) The day he married her mother.
(d) The day she was born.
5. Who visits the Hall family and brings stories in a newspaper?
(a) Uncle Jack.
(b) Mr. Standish.
(c) Mr. Hooper.
(d) Reverend Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
2. What does Mrs. Shipman send to Mrs. Nelson?
3. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
4. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
5. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
2. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
3. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
4. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
5. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
6. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
7. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
8. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
9. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
10. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)