|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Catherine tell about the phantom?
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Mrs. Shipman.
2. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Trap him.
(c) Turn him in.
(d) Give him food and a quilt.
3. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
(a) Jeremy Preston.
(b) James Presnall.
(c) Joshua Holt.
(d) Matthew Hallowell.
4. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(b) Spelling and penmanship.
(d) Canning fruit.
5. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(d) Health and hygiene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
2. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
3. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
4. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
5. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
2. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
3. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
4. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
5. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
6. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
7. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
8. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
9. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
10. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)