|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Catherine and Cassie out of school?
(a) A weekend.
(b) A parent teacher conference day.
(c) A snowstorm.
(d) A holiday.
2. What issue does Mr. Garrison's newspaper address?
(a) Religious freedom.
(c) Voting rights.
3. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
(a) A deer.
(b) An apparition.
(c) An owl.
(d) A rustling noise.
4. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Turn him in.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Help him.
5. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
2. What does Catherine vow to do about the apparition?
3. Asa tells Catherine that he has information about what?
4. Who do the Shipmans accuse of taking the item from the storeroom?
5. What does Catherine work on while at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
2. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
3. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
4. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
5. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
6. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
7. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
8. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
9. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
10. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)