|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
2. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) the barn's distance from the house.
(b) Mr. Hall's mother.
(c) helping the phantom.
(d) wearing red.
3. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(a) Health and hygiene.
4. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
5. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
(a) It stomps on her foot.
(b) It kicks her in the shins.
(c) It knocks her into the water trough.
(d) It jerks and sends a horn through her cheek.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
2. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
3. What is the last name of the runaway boy who becomes a Russian Count?
4. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
5. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
2. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
3. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
4. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
5. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
6. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
7. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
8. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
9. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
10. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)