|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
(a) Mr. Hallowell.
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mr. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Hall.
2. In what room was Catherine born?
(c) Borning room.
3. What happens when the weather is cold one day and hot the next?
(a) The locusts swarm in.
(b) The sap stops flowing.
(c) The kids get bad colds.
(d) The old people get pneumonia.
4. What does Catherine see Mr. Holt doing with a group of boys one day?
(a) Practicing penmanship.
(b) Reading from The Liberator newspaper.
(c) Playing baseball.
(d) Rehearsing a play.
5. Who does Catherine tell about the phantom?
(a) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Catherine's mother?
2. Which of Catherine's classmates must leave home to work?
3. Who wipes away Catherine's tears when she cries about the quilt?
4. Who is Cassie's brother?
5. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
2. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
3. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
4. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
5. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
6. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
7. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
8. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
9. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
10. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)