|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what format is the story written?
2. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) Behind the church.
(b) The schoolyard.
(c) Piper's Woods.
(d) By the stream.
3. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(a) Fourth of July.
4. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
(a) The phantom and his journey.
(b) A new dress.
(c) A new boy in school.
(d) Her mother.
5. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
(a) He lets her go sledding.
(b) He writes a note.
(c) He strokes her hair.
(d) He buys her candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
2. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
3. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
4. Who had made the quilt given to the phantom?
5. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
2. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
3. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
4. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
5. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
6. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
7. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
8. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
9. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
10. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)