|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
2. To what does Mr. Holt agree?
(a) To teach the students who pay him.
(b) To teach only what the town's elect group has approved.
(c) To teach what the state requires.
(d) To teach only the brightest children.
3. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(b) Health and hygiene.
4. Who is Catherine's friend?
5. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Mr. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Holden.
(d) Mr. Hallowell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
2. Why does Catherine miss school in Chapter 7?
3. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
4. Which of the children complains about school?
5. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
2. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
3. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
4. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
5. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
6. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
7. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
8. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
9. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
10. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)