|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) A snowstorm.
(b) She must help at home.
(c) Scarlet fever.
(d) The flu.
2. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(b) They are frightened too.
(c) They believe her.
(d) They tease her.
3. Who is Mrs. Shipman's sister?
4. How old does Catherine turn in Chapter 8?
5. Asa tells Catherine that he has information about what?
(a) Lucy's background.
(b) Birthday gifts.
(c) Matty's illness.
(d) The apparition.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mr. Holt agree?
2. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
3. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
4. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
5. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
2. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
3. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
4. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
5. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
6. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
7. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
8. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
9. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
10. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)