|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
(a) He buys her candy.
(b) He lets her go sledding.
(c) He strokes her hair.
(d) He writes a note.
2. Which of the children complains about school?
3. Who is Catherine's friend?
4. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
(a) Mr. Hall.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
5. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
(a) He is thinking about it.
(b) He wants to propose this month.
(c) No plans.
(d) He will think about it in a couple years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
2. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
3. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
4. What is different about the writing book when Catherine finds it?
5. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
2. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
3. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
4. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
5. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
6. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
7. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
8. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
9. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
10. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)