|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the girls have exceptions regarding learning arithmetic?
(a) Because they are better at other subjects.
(b) Because they can't comprehend it.
(c) Because they won't stay in school very long.
(d) Because they are girls.
2. What blocks passage on the roads?
(b) Fallen trees.
(c) Deep snow.
3. What happens when the weather is cold one day and hot the next?
(a) The sap stops flowing.
(b) The old people get pneumonia.
(c) The kids get bad colds.
(d) The locusts swarm in.
4. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
(a) How new their house was.
(b) The name of the midwife.
(c) The heavy snowfall the night before.
(d) What the family owned.
5. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
(a) Very large boot prints.
(b) An abandoned shack.
(c) A hat.
(d) Markings on trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
2. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
3. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
4. Why are Catherine and Cassie out of school?
5. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
2. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
3. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
4. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
5. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
6. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
7. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
8. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
9. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
10. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)