|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine, Cassie and Asa wonder if the phantom has found _________________.
(a) his way north.
(b) a place to stay.
(c) the quilt.
(d) his family.
2. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
(a) Jeremy Preston.
(b) Joshua Holt.
(c) James Presnall.
(d) Matthew Hallowell.
3. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(c) Fourth of July.
5. Which of Catherine's classmates must leave home to work?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the writing book when Catherine finds it?
2. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
3. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
4. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
5. What keeps Catherine home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
2. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
3. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
4. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
5. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
6. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
7. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
8. What do Asa and Catherine decide to do when they determine that the phantom is a runaway slave?
9. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
10. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)