|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
(a) Becoming a teenager.
(b) A new beau.
(c) Missing Sophy.
(d) Grief for her mother.
2. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
3. What did Mr. Holt's friend, Mr. Garrison, find?
(a) A church.
(b) The American Red Cross.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A newspaper.
4. What do the men believe regarding the girls learning math?
(a) They grasp match concepts quicker than the boys do.
(b) They don't need to know all the math that boys need to know.
(c) They can't possibly comprehend the math.
(d) They like math more than the boys do.
5. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
(a) It jerks and sends a horn through her cheek.
(b) It kicks her in the shins.
(c) It stomps on her foot.
(d) It knocks her into the water trough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
2. What does Catherine vow to do about the apparition?
3. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
4. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
5. What are the children doing as Chapter 6 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the blue bonnet that Catherine wears in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
3. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
4. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
5. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
6. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
7. What is the reason for Mr. Hall's delayed return from Boston?
8. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
9. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
10. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)