|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Catherine's mother?
(a) She went crazy.
(b) She died.
(c) She moved away.
(d) She was seriously injured.
2. From whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The Hall home.
(b) The Shipman home.
(c) The Shroyer home.
(d) The M. home.
3. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
(a) The day he married her mother.
(b) The day she was baptized.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) The day she was born.
4. What blocks passage on the roads?
(b) Deep snow.
(c) Fallen trees.
5. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
(a) The last day of school.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) April Fool's Day.
(d) Easter Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cassie's brother?
2. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
3. In what format is the story written?
4. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
5. What does Asa feel is unfair at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
2. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
3. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
4. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
5. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
6. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
7. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
8. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
9. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
10. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)