|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does Catherine live?
(b) New Hampshire.
(c) New York.
2. In what room was Catherine born?
(a) Borning room.
3. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(b) Fourth of July.
4. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) The flu.
(c) She must help at home.
(d) A snowstorm.
5. Catherine tells her father about boys who ________________________.
(a) throw small children onto the thin ice.
(b) refuse to go skating because the ice is too thin.
(c) skate in pairs over thin ice.
(d) lean over thin ice to catch a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does Catherine turn in Chapter 8?
2. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
3. Who is accused of aiding the runaway slave?
4. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
5. What blocks passage on the roads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
2. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
3. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
4. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
5. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
6. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
7. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
8. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
9. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
10. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)