|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
(a) Collecting tree sap.
(b) Raising a barn.
(c) Planting corn.
(d) Building a fence.
2. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(c) Health and hygiene.
3. In what state does Catherine live?
(b) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
4. Catherine believes that _____________ has taken the item from the storeroom?
(b) The phantom.
5. Mr. Hall believes Negroes should ___________________.
(a) be returned to Africa.
(b) pay taxes.
(c) be sent to school.
(d) become American citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
2. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
3. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
4. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
5. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
2. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
3. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
4. How do Cassie and Asa react to Catherine's spotting of an apparition?
5. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
6. How does a big snowstorm impact Catherine and her family?
7. How is Mrs. Hall remembered at a New Year's celebration?
8. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
9. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
10. Why does Asa take the punishment for something he didn't do?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)