|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To borrow some tea.
(b) To get a leather strap repaired.
(c) To bring him a pie.
(d) To offer to home school the girls.
2. Who does Catherine tell about the phantom?
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Hall.
3. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
(a) Bring her writing book home.
(b) Produce a play.
(c) Start a sewing club.
(d) Give a graduation speech.
4. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
(b) Mr. Hall.
5. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) read a love letter.
(b) write a poem.
(c) meet someone at the stone.
(d) come to the woods at midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
2. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
3. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
4. In what state does Catherine live?
5. Who visits the Hall family and brings stories in a newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
2. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
3. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
4. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
5. How does sexism surface again in the story--this time regarding math studies?
6. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
7. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
8. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
9. Why does Catherine believe her father responded in a sexist manner when she told him about the boys near the thin ice?
10. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)