|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
(a) New Year's.
(c) Barn raising.
2. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(a) Health and hygiene.
3. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
4. Why do the girls have exceptions regarding learning arithmetic?
(a) Because they won't stay in school very long.
(b) Because they are girls.
(c) Because they can't comprehend it.
(d) Because they are better at other subjects.
5. Who is Catherine's friend?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
2. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
3. Mr. Hall believes Negroes should ___________________.
4. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
5. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
2. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
3. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
4. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
5. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
6. What changes must Mr. Holt make in order to appease the townspeople related to his moral teachings?
7. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
8. Describe the story of the runaway Williams boy becoming a Russian Count.
9. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
10. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)