|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
(a) The Shipmans.
(b) The Lenoxes.
(c) The Halls.
(d) The Millers.
2. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
(a) He gets permission from the minister.
(b) He gets permission from their parents.
(c) He does it after class hours.
(d) He disguises it as current events lessons.
3. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
4. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
(b) his childhood.
(c) a headless woman.
(d) right and wrong.
5. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
(a) Sex education.
(b) Culinary arts.
(c) Art history.
(d) Moral education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
2. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
3. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
4. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
5. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
2. How does Catherine experience change related to the addition of the two new family members?
3. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
4. How is the theme of trust exhibited between Asa and Catherine regarding his poem for Sophy?
5. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
6. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing related to Catherine's comments about quilts?
8. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
9. Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall are both against slavery but have different views on how to address it. What are their conflicting views on a solution?
10. How does the theme of trust extend to Mr. Hall and Ann?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)