|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
2. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
(a) The phantom.
3. What does Mrs. Shipman send to Mrs. Nelson?
4. What blocks passage on the roads?
(b) Deep snow.
(c) Fallen trees.
5. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine see Mr. Holt doing with a group of boys one day?
2. Catherine, Cassie and Asa wonder if the phantom has found _________________.
3. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
4. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
5. What are the children doing as Chapter 6 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the metaphor of a growing infant to indicate the change in seasons?
2. What two instances of flashback are used in Chapter 8?
3. What does Catherine tell about her life as she begins her journal?
4. Why does Catherine feel so much stress about helping the phantom?
5. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
6. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
7. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
8. What is Asa's philosophical stance on continuing to take punishment for things he did not do?
9. How is Mr. Hall's crafting of a chair an element of foreshadowing for the story?
10. What job are men involved in as Chapter 9 begins?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)