|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine's last name?
2. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
(b) Runaway slaves.
(d) Child rearing.
3. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) The schoolyard.
(b) Behind the church.
(c) By the stream.
(d) Piper's Woods.
4. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
5. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(b) Spelling and penmanship.
(d) Canning fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cassie's brother?
2. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
3. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
4. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
5. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall lose his temper when the question of his marrying Aunt Lucy arises?
2. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
3. Describe the story of the rock slide that killed the Wiley family and the moral that can be told from it.
4. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
5. How do the Shipman and Hall families hold up in the aftermath of Cassie's death?
6. What is the emotional turning point for Ann and Catherine's relationship?
7. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
8. What mystery takes place regarding Catherine's writing book?
9. How do the characters begin to find joy again after Cassie's death?
10. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)