|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Catherine miss school in Chapter 7?
(a) She has a toothache.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She has to help with the harvest.
(d) She broke her leg.
2. What is Catherine's last name?
3. What blocks passage on the roads?
(b) Deep snow.
(c) Fallen trees.
4. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) wearing red.
(b) helping the phantom.
(c) the barn's distance from the house.
(d) Mr. Hall's mother.
5. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
(a) Water level.
(b) Cooling temperatures.
(c) Humidity level.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
2. Who had made the quilt given to the phantom?
3. Asa tells Catherine that he has information about what?
4. What does Asa feel is unfair at school?
5. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
2. How do Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack differ on their opinions of runaway slaves?
3. Who becomes ill in the Hall household and who cares for this person?
4. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
5. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
6. What is Asa's complaint regarding math studies at school?
7. What spooky story does Mr. Hall tell that foreshadows events in the woods?
8. Who arrives for a visit at the Shipman house and how do Catherine and Cassie enjoy this person's visit?
9. How does the author use a flashback to give a glimpse into the Halls' life before Mrs. Hall died?
10. Explain the theme of redemption regarding the Count of Zincheroff.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)