|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
(a) Let him sleep in the barn.
(b) Give him some clothes.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Turn him in.
2. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
(b) Garments and sewing accessories.
(d) Pots and pans.
3. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
(a) Bring her writing book home.
(b) Produce a play.
(c) Give a graduation speech.
(d) Start a sewing club.
4. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They believe her.
(b) They are frightened too.
(c) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(d) They tease her.
5. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
(a) The Hallowell family.
(b) The M. family.
(c) The Shipman family.
(d) The Hall family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Hall family and brings stories in a newspaper?
2. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
3. Who is accused of aiding the runaway slave?
4. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
5. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been stolen from the Shipmans' storeroom and who is accused of the theft?
2. How is Mr. Holt able to sidestep the rules and still teach his moral teachings?
3. What memories and feelings are stirred up as Matty turns 8?
4. What incident regarding some boys and the thin ice does Catherine tell her father and what is his response?
5. What news does Sophy tell her friends about where she will be going and why she is going there?
6. What does Catherine see in one of Mr. Holt's newspapers that particularly upsets her?
7. How does the Hall family spend its first Thanksgiving since the death of Mrs. Hall?
8. What is the first journal entry in the book and by whom is it written?
9. How does Mr. Holt's style of teaching put him in trouble with the townspeople?
10. What does the quilt left for the phantom symbolize?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)