|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of year is it when Chapter 10 begins?
(a) The end of the school year.
(c) Christmas vacation.
(d) The beginning of the school year.
2. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
(a) It is not the person the family has used in the past.
(b) The person is too rude.
(c) The person is too young.
(d) The person is too slovenly.
3. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
(b) Hope chest.
(d) Collars and cuffs.
4. Who is Mr. Holt courting?
(a) Mrs. Lowell.
(b) Miss Hallowell.
(c) Aunt Lucy.
(d) Miss Mumson.
5. What does Mr. Hall suggest that Catherine send with him when he returns to Boston to marry Ann?
(b) A Bible.
(c) A letter answering Ann's questions.
(d) Handmade lace.
6. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
(a) A swarm of locusts invades the town.
(b) The weather is too hot to go to school.
(c) The rains cause flooding in the town.
(d) The new teacher arrives late.
7. Where is Mr. Hall's wedding to take place?
8. What happens to Cassie after she gets a fever?
(a) She has to stay home from school.
(b) She dies.
(c) She gets the flu.
(d) She gets better after a week.
9. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
(a) She leaves to work in the mills.
(b) She goes away to school.
(c) She visits her grandmother.
(d) She moves to Providence.
10. Where does Mr. Hall go to trade wares and make purchases?
(c) New York.
11. What does Uncle Jack do that Ann finds offensive?
(a) Wipes his nose on his shirt sleeve.
(b) Talks with his mouth full.
(c) Tracks mud on the floor.
(d) Tells a joke.
12. What brings joy to Matty?
(a) Playing with her dolls.
(b) Making candy.
(c) Going swimming.
(d) Picking flowers.
13. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
(a) A Negro revolt.
(b) Swarms of locusts destroying crops.
(c) Killer hurricanes.
(d) Widespread flooding.
14. How long is Mr. Hall gone on his business trip?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One day.
15. What is the result of the incident at school?
(a) Daniel was expelled.
(b) Daniel is sent to the army.
(c) Catherine and Matty will be home schooled.
(d) Catherine and Matty will change schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project is Catherine working on at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. To whom is the new Mrs. Hall compared?
3. Who visits the Hall family at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
5. Who leaves flowers on a note for Catherine?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)