|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
(a) Church camp.
(b) Private school.
(c) Aunt Lucy's house.
2. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
(a) a metaphor.
(c) an analogy.
(d) a flashback.
3. What time of year is it when Chapter 10 begins?
(a) The beginning of the school year.
(b) Christmas vacation.
(c) The end of the school year.
4. Who supervises Catherine's project?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Hall.
5. How long is Mr. Hall gone on his business trip?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
6. Where does Sophy go in Chapter 17?
(a) She visits her grandmother.
(b) She goes away to school.
(c) She moves to Providence.
(d) She leaves to work in the mills.
7. Cassie invites Catherine to her home to see ___________________.
(a) a new mural.
(b) her new baby brother.
(c) her new bedroom furniture.
(d) her new dresses.
8. What big change does Cassie point out that Ann has to make?
(a) Planting vegetables.
(b) Sewing more dresses.
(c) Living on a farm.
(d) Raising daughters.
9. Where does the new Hall family go where they are on display for the community?
(c) Barn raising.
10. What comparison does Catherine make of herself and the new teacher?
(a) They have the same middle name.
(b) They are nearly the same height.
(c) They have the same color eyes.
(d) They are almost the same age.
11. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
(a) It is not the person the family has used in the past.
(b) The person is too rude.
(c) The person is too slovenly.
(d) The person is too young.
12. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
(a) Hope chest.
(d) Collars and cuffs.
13. What brings joy to Matty?
(a) Going swimming.
(b) Playing with her dolls.
(c) Picking flowers.
(d) Making candy.
14. Who gets married in Chapter 17?
(a) Mr. Hallowell and Aunt Lucy.
(b) Mr. Holt and Aunt Lucy.
(c) Mr. Holt and Miss Lowell.
(d) Mr. Holt and Martha Ballard.
15. Who does Mr. Hall plan to marry?
(a) Ann Hallowell.
(b) Ann Higham.
(c) Lucy Currin.
(d) Isabella Evans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls wear on their dresses?
2. Who is Cassie's older brother?
3. Which student surprisingly admits to wanting more schooling?
4. Why is the new school year delayed for a day?
5. Who helps the Shipman family after Cassie's death?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)