|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Ann give to Catherine?
(b) Hope chest.
(d) Collars and cuffs.
2. What horrible event has occurred in the Southern states?
(a) Widespread flooding.
(b) Swarms of locusts destroying crops.
(c) A Negro revolt.
(d) Killer hurricanes.
3. Where does Catherine prepare to go in the spring?
(a) Aunt Lucy's house.
(c) Church camp.
(d) Private school.
4. What do Catherine and Cassie do at the Shipman house?
(b) The laundry.
5. The preacher tells of an entire family killed _______________.
(a) in a flood.
(b) in a rockslide.
(c) in a house fire.
(d) in a tornado.
6. Who does Mr. Hall plan to marry?
(a) Ann Hallowell.
(b) Lucy Currin.
(c) Ann Higham.
(d) Isabella Evans.
7. What is in the package that Catherine receives?
(a) Two books.
(b) Two pieces of chocolate and a ribbon.
(c) Two pieces of lace and a note.
(d) Two apples.
8. Which of the following does Catherine enjoy after picking berries?
(a) Swimming in the pond.
(b) Singing around a campfire.
(c) Making pies.
(d) Horseback riding.
9. Catherine's memories of her mother and brother's deaths is called ________________.
(a) a metaphor.
(c) a flashback.
(d) an analogy.
10. What time of year is it when Chapter 10 begins?
(b) Christmas vacation.
(c) The beginning of the school year.
(d) The end of the school year.
11. What do the girls and women pick in the summer?
12. Which student surprisingly admits to wanting more schooling?
13. What gift did Mammann give to Catherine that she wears to church for the first time?
(a) A blue bonnet.
(b) A yellow ribbon.
(c) A pink dress.
(d) A gray cape.
14. Why is Catherine upset about the person Ann hires?
(a) It is not the person the family has used in the past.
(b) The person is too slovenly.
(c) The person is too young.
(d) The person is too rude.
15. What does Aunt Lucy do with her beautiful city dresses?
(a) Dyes them black.
(b) Gives them away.
(c) Burns them.
(d) Throws them away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cassie complain of after swimming in the pond?
2. What news does Mr. Hall bring on his return?
3. What ailment does Cassie develop?
4. With whom has Daniel made friends?
5. What color dresses do Catherine and the other girls wear to Cassie's funeral?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)