|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
(a) He wants to know their names.
(b) He talks to the boys about the dangers.
(c) He contacts the boys' parents.
(d) He tells her not to worry.
2. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To get a leather strap repaired.
(b) To borrow some tea.
(c) To offer to home school the girls.
(d) To bring him a pie.
3. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
(a) The M. family.
(b) The Shipman family.
(c) The Hallowell family.
(d) The Hall family.
4. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(c) Fourth of July.
5. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
(a) In public notices.
(b) In a letter.
(c) In a telegram.
(d) In a speech.
6. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
(a) Mr. Holden.
(b) Mr. Hallowell.
(c) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mr. Shipman.
7. What do the men believe regarding the girls learning math?
(a) They grasp match concepts quicker than the boys do.
(b) They don't need to know all the math that boys need to know.
(c) They like math more than the boys do.
(d) They can't possibly comprehend the math.
8. What does Mrs. Shipman send to Mrs. Nelson?
9. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
(a) He is thinking about it.
(b) No plans.
(c) He wants to propose this month.
(d) He will think about it in a couple years.
10. What special day does Mr. Hall tell Catherine about?
(a) The day she was baptized.
(b) The day she was born.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) The day he married her mother.
11. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
(a) A plow.
(b) A black girl.
(c) Herbs for medicines.
(d) A team of oxen.
12. Which of Catherine's classmates must leave home to work?
13. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
(a) The name of the midwife.
(b) What the family owned.
(c) The heavy snowfall the night before.
(d) How new their house was.
14. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) meet someone at the stone.
(b) come to the woods at midnight.
(c) read a love letter.
(d) write a poem.
15. Which of the following does Asa not discover missing?
(a) Phantom's tracks.
(b) The phantom.
(d) The quilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
2. Catherine, Cassie and Asa wonder if the phantom has found _________________.
3. What rules does the teacher change for boys and girls?
4. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
5. What is different about the writing book when Catherine finds it?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)