|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
(a) He contacts the boys' parents.
(b) He talks to the boys about the dangers.
(c) He tells her not to worry.
(d) He wants to know their names.
2. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
(a) The last day of school.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) April Fool's Day.
(d) Easter Day.
3. What does Asa feel is unfair at school?
(a) The hours are too long.
(b) The way the teacher changes the rules for boys and girls.
(c) They go too long in the summer.
(d) They start too early in the fall.
4. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
(a) Pots and pans.
(d) Garments and sewing accessories.
5. What is made from the tree sap?
6. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) A big shadow.
(b) A glimpse of the true offender.
(c) A reflection in a mirror.
(d) Footprints in the snow.
7. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
(a) On the doorstep.
(b) Under a door mat.
(c) Under a stone.
(d) In the mailbox.
8. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
(a) Turn him in.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Let him sleep in the barn.
(d) Give him some clothes.
9. Who makes a surprise visit to the Halls' home?
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Holt.
(d) Mr. Formsby.
10. Mrs. Hall is remembered as a woman of _______________.
(a) small stature.
(b) great girth.
(c) rotund appearance.
(d) statuesque height.
11. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
12. Who is accused of aiding the runaway slave?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Mrs. Shipman.
(c) Mr. Hall.
13. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
(b) Runaway slaves.
(c) Child rearing.
14. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
(a) Asa Sampson's.
(b) Joshua Nelson's.
(c) James Hallowell's.
(d) Mr. Hall's.
15. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) The schoolyard.
(b) By the stream.
(c) Piper's Woods.
(d) Behind the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
2. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
3. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
4. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
5. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)