|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is made from the tree sap?
2. Catherine tells her father about boys who ________________________.
(a) lean over thin ice to catch a drink.
(b) refuse to go skating because the ice is too thin.
(c) skate in pairs over thin ice.
(d) throw small children onto the thin ice.
3. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
4. What has happened to Catherine's mother?
(a) She moved away.
(b) She died.
(c) She was seriously injured.
(d) She went crazy.
5. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) The flu.
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) She must help at home.
(d) A snowstorm.
6. Which of the following does Asa not discover missing?
(a) The phantom.
(b) Phantom's tracks.
(d) The quilt.
7. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
(b) a headless woman.
(c) his childhood.
(d) right and wrong.
8. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To offer to home school the girls.
(b) To get a leather strap repaired.
(c) To borrow some tea.
(d) To bring him a pie.
9. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
10. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) write a poem.
(b) come to the woods at midnight.
(c) meet someone at the stone.
(d) read a love letter.
11. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
(a) The phantom and his journey.
(b) A new boy in school.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A new dress.
12. Why does Catherine miss school in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She has to help with the harvest.
(c) She has a toothache.
(d) She broke her leg.
13. Catherine, Cassie and Asa wonder if the phantom has found _________________.
(a) his family.
(b) a place to stay.
(c) the quilt.
(d) his way north.
14. What does Cassie want to do about the runaway slave?
(a) Give him some clothes.
(b) Turn him in.
(c) Let him sleep in the barn.
(d) Shoot him.
15. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
(a) Give him food and a quilt.
(b) Trap him.
(c) Turn him in.
(d) Shoot him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
2. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
3. Who do the Shipmans accuse of taking the item from the storeroom?
4. To whose home does Mr. Holt move?
5. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)