|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
(a) Learn to cook different dishes.
(b) Learn to make poultices and medicines.
(c) Sew accessories onto their old clothes.
(d) Read important literatures.
2. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
(b) New Year's.
(c) Barn raising.
3. In what room was Catherine born?
(c) Borning room.
4. From whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The M. home.
(b) The Shipman home.
(c) The Shroyer home.
(d) The Hall home.
5. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
6. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) Mr. Hall's mother.
(b) wearing red.
(c) helping the phantom.
(d) the barn's distance from the house.
7. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
(a) Mr. Shipman.
(b) Mr. Hallowell.
(c) Mr. Holden.
(d) Mr. Holt.
8. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) read a love letter.
(b) come to the woods at midnight.
(c) meet someone at the stone.
(d) write a poem.
9. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
(a) Mr. Hall.
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Aunt Lucy.
10. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They tease her.
(b) They are frightened too.
(c) They believe her.
(d) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
11. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) She must help at home.
(c) The flu.
(d) A snowstorm.
12. Who is Cassie's brother?
13. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) A big shadow.
(b) A reflection in a mirror.
(c) A glimpse of the true offender.
(d) Footprints in the snow.
14. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(b) Spelling and penmanship.
(d) Canning fruit.
15. Who has a birthday in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
2. How is the weather in Chapter 5?
3. What does Catherine see Mr. Holt doing with a group of boys one day?
4. Asa tells Catherine that he has information about what?
5. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)