|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what room was Catherine born?
(c) Borning room.
2. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
(a) An owl.
(b) An apparition.
(c) A rustling noise.
(d) A deer.
3. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
(b) Mr. Hall.
4. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To borrow some tea.
(b) To offer to home school the girls.
(c) To bring him a pie.
(d) To get a leather strap repaired.
5. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
(a) Mr. Shipman.
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mr. Hall.
(d) Mr. Hallowell.
6. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
(a) The Lenoxes.
(b) The Shipmans.
(c) The Millers.
(d) The Halls.
7. What issue does Mr. Garrison's newspaper address?
(c) Voting rights.
(d) Religious freedom.
8. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
(a) Herbs for medicines.
(b) A black girl.
(c) A plow.
(d) A team of oxen.
9. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) Behind the church.
(b) Piper's Woods.
(c) The schoolyard.
(d) By the stream.
10. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
(a) Child rearing.
(b) Runaway slaves.
11. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
(a) The phantom.
12. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
(a) Read important literatures.
(b) Sew accessories onto their old clothes.
(c) Learn to make poultices and medicines.
(d) Learn to cook different dishes.
13. What did Mr. Holt's friend, Mr. Garrison, find?
(a) A hospital.
(b) The American Red Cross.
(c) A church.
(d) A newspaper.
14. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
(a) He will think about it in a couple years.
(b) No plans.
(c) He is thinking about it.
(d) He wants to propose this month.
15. What is Mr. Hall's position on runaway slaves?
(a) They should be ignored.
(b) They should be turned in.
(c) They should be given food and sent on their way.
(d) They should be given sanctuary for as long as needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Asa feel is unfair at school?
2. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
3. How old is Catherine at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Catherine work on while at home?
5. In what state does Catherine live?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)