|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Turn him in.
(d) Help him.
2. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Mr. Hallowell.
(c) Mr. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Hall.
3. What new items do the Hall girls need when spring comes?
4. Who do the Shipmans accuse of taking the item from the storeroom?
(b) Mr. Hall.
5. What happens when the weather is cold one day and hot the next?
(a) The old people get pneumonia.
(b) The locusts swarm in.
(c) The sap stops flowing.
(d) The kids get bad colds.
6. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
(a) He disguises it as current events lessons.
(b) He does it after class hours.
(c) He gets permission from their parents.
(d) He gets permission from the minister.
7. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
(a) Matthew Hallowell.
(b) Joshua Holt.
(c) Jeremy Preston.
(d) James Presnall.
8. Why are Catherine and Cassie out of school?
(a) A holiday.
(b) A parent teacher conference day.
(c) A snowstorm.
(d) A weekend.
9. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
(a) Moral education.
(b) Art history.
(c) Culinary arts.
(d) Sex education.
10. Who is accused of aiding the runaway slave?
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mrs. Shipman.
(d) Mr. Hall.
11. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
(b) Barn raising.
(c) New Year's.
12. What is different about the writing book when Catherine finds it?
(a) All the pages have been written on.
(b) All the inside pages are missing.
(c) Someone has written a note inside the cover.
(d) The front and back covers are ripped off.
13. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
14. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) meet someone at the stone.
(b) come to the woods at midnight.
(c) read a love letter.
(d) write a poem.
15. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
(a) Asa Sampson's.
(b) Mr. Hall's.
(c) Joshua Nelson's.
(d) James Hallowell's.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
2. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
3. Who wipes away Catherine's tears when she cries about the quilt?
4. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
5. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)