|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits the Hall family and brings stories in a newspaper?
(a) Mr. Standish.
(b) Reverend Milton.
(c) Uncle Jack.
(d) Mr. Hooper.
2. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
(a) A new beau.
(b) Missing Sophy.
(c) Grief for her mother.
(d) Becoming a teenager.
3. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They believe her.
(b) They tease her.
(c) They are frightened too.
(d) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
4. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Help him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Turn him in.
(d) Shoot him.
5. What is Catherine's last name?
6. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
7. Mrs. Hall is remembered as a woman of _______________.
(a) statuesque height.
(b) rotund appearance.
(c) great girth.
(d) small stature.
8. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Mr. Holden.
(c) Mr. Hallowell.
(d) Mr. Shipman.
9. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
(a) Raising a barn.
(b) Collecting tree sap.
(c) Building a fence.
(d) Planting corn.
10. To whom does the Russian Count repay his debt?
(a) Matthew Hallowell.
(b) Joshua Holt.
(c) James Presnall.
(d) Jeremy Preston.
11. Who wipes away Catherine's tears when she cries about the quilt?
(b) Mr. Hall.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
12. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) Mr. Hall's mother.
(b) wearing red.
(c) the barn's distance from the house.
(d) helping the phantom.
13. To whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The Voiles home.
(b) The M. home.
(c) The Hall home.
(d) The Shipman home.
14. In what format is the story written?
15. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) Footprints in the snow.
(b) A reflection in a mirror.
(c) A big shadow.
(d) A glimpse of the true offender.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
2. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
3. What does Catherine vow to do about the apparition?
4. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
5. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)