|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Hall's position on runaway slaves?
(a) They should be ignored.
(b) They should be turned in.
(c) They should be given sanctuary for as long as needed.
(d) They should be given food and sent on their way.
2. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
(a) right and wrong.
(b) a headless woman.
(c) his childhood.
3. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
4. Which of Catherine's classmates must leave home to work?
5. In what format is the story written?
6. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
(a) He gets permission from their parents.
(b) He disguises it as current events lessons.
(c) He gets permission from the minister.
(d) He does it after class hours.
7. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
(a) Barn raising.
(d) New Year's.
8. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
(a) An apparition.
(b) An owl.
(c) A rustling noise.
(d) A deer.
9. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To get a leather strap repaired.
(b) To offer to home school the girls.
(c) To bring him a pie.
(d) To borrow some tea.
10. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
(a) The phantom.
11. Who is Cassie's brother?
12. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
(a) Produce a play.
(b) Start a sewing club.
(c) Bring her writing book home.
(d) Give a graduation speech.
13. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) come to the woods at midnight.
(b) read a love letter.
(c) write a poem.
(d) meet someone at the stone.
14. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(b) They are frightened too.
(c) They tease her.
(d) They believe her.
15. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) Footprints in the snow.
(b) A glimpse of the true offender.
(c) A reflection in a mirror.
(d) A big shadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
2. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
3. Who is Catherine's friend?
4. According to Asa, the skin cools __________________.
5. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)