|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine's last name?
2. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) She must help at home.
(c) A snowstorm.
(d) The flu.
3. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
(a) The Halls.
(b) The Shipmans.
(c) The Millers.
(d) The Lenoxes.
4. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
(a) It kicks her in the shins.
(b) It knocks her into the water trough.
(c) It stomps on her foot.
(d) It jerks and sends a horn through her cheek.
5. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
(a) right and wrong.
(c) his childhood.
(d) a headless woman.
6. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(c) Canning fruit.
(d) Spelling and penmanship.
7. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) Behind the church.
(b) By the stream.
(c) The schoolyard.
(d) Piper's Woods.
8. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
9. Why does Catherine miss school in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She broke her leg.
(c) She has a toothache.
(d) She has to help with the harvest.
10. Who is Cassie's brother?
11. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
(a) Very large boot prints.
(b) Markings on trees.
(c) An abandoned shack.
(d) A hat.
12. What is the last name of the runaway boy who becomes a Russian Count?
13. What is made from the tree sap?
14. What is Mr. Hall's position on runaway slaves?
(a) They should be turned in.
(b) They should be given sanctuary for as long as needed.
(c) They should be given food and sent on their way.
(d) They should be ignored.
15. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
(a) Garments and sewing accessories.
(c) Pots and pans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine tells her father about boys who ________________________.
2. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
3. What is for sale in the Southern newspaper ad Mr. Holt shows?
4. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
5. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)