|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(a) Fourth of July.
2. In what format is the story written?
3. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Turn him in.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Help him.
(d) Ignore him.
4. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
(a) Mrs. Shipman.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Mr. Hall.
5. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
(a) Collecting tree sap.
(b) Planting corn.
(c) Raising a barn.
(d) Building a fence.
6. In what state does Catherine live?
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) New York.
7. What did Mr. Holt's friend, Mr. Garrison, find?
(a) The American Red Cross.
(b) A church.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A hospital.
8. What does Asa feel is unfair at school?
(a) They go too long in the summer.
(b) The hours are too long.
(c) The way the teacher changes the rules for boys and girls.
(d) They start too early in the fall.
9. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
(a) Piper's Woods.
(b) The schoolyard.
(c) By the stream.
(d) Behind the church.
10. What does Catherine vow to do about the apparition?
(a) Investigate the location further.
(b) Pray that the apparition will go away.
(c) Stay away from the woods.
(d) Ask her father to go with her into the woods.
11. Mrs. Hall is remembered as a woman of _______________.
(a) small stature.
(b) rotund appearance.
(c) statuesque height.
(d) great girth.
12. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
(a) In a letter.
(b) In public notices.
(c) In a telegram.
(d) In a speech.
13. Why does Catherine miss school in Chapter 7?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She has a toothache.
(c) She has to help with the harvest.
(d) She broke her leg.
14. What is Catherine's last name?
15. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
2. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
3. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
4. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
5. Who does Catherine tell about the phantom?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)