|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) The flu.
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) She must help at home.
(d) A snowstorm.
2. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
(a) He wants to know their names.
(b) He contacts the boys' parents.
(c) He talks to the boys about the dangers.
(d) He tells her not to worry.
3. From whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The M. home.
(b) The Shroyer home.
(c) The Shipman home.
(d) The Hall home.
4. On what day do Catherine and Matty play a trick on their father?
(a) Easter Day.
(b) Christmas Day.
(c) The last day of school.
(d) April Fool's Day.
5. What issue does Mr. Garrison's newspaper address?
(c) Religious freedom.
(d) Voting rights.
6. What is Mr. Hall's position on runaway slaves?
(a) They should be ignored.
(b) They should be given food and sent on their way.
(c) They should be given sanctuary for as long as needed.
(d) They should be turned in.
7. What has happened to Catherine's mother?
(a) She was seriously injured.
(b) She moved away.
(c) She died.
(d) She went crazy.
8. What has been taken from the Shipmans' storeroom?
9. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) the barn's distance from the house.
(b) helping the phantom.
(c) wearing red.
(d) Mr. Hall's mother.
10. What does Mr. Hall think is the source of Catherine's distraction?
(a) Becoming a teenager.
(b) Grief for her mother.
(c) Missing Sophy.
(d) A new beau.
11. Why are Catherine and Cassie out of school?
(a) A weekend.
(b) A snowstorm.
(c) A holiday.
(d) A parent teacher conference day.
12. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
(a) Fourth of July.
13. What accident does Mrs. Nelson have with the cow?
(a) It stomps on her foot.
(b) It jerks and sends a horn through her cheek.
(c) It kicks her in the shins.
(d) It knocks her into the water trough.
14. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
(a) In a speech.
(b) In public notices.
(c) In a telegram.
(d) In a letter.
15. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They tease her.
(b) They believe her.
(c) They are frightened too.
(d) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hall not tell Catherine about the day she was born?
2. Which of the children complains about school?
3. What is made from the tree sap?
4. Who is Catherine's school teacher?
5. Catherine believes that _____________ has taken the item from the storeroom?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)