|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Help him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Ignore him.
(d) Turn him in.
2. What does Mrs. Shipman send to Mrs. Nelson?
3. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
(a) He wants to set a good example.
(b) He is saving the phantom's life.
(c) He wants to defy his father.
(d) He is helping Catherine.
4. Who continues to receive punishment for stealing food?
(c) The phantom.
5. What type of feast do the Halls have at their home?
(a) New Year's.
(d) Barn raising.
6. Who is Mrs. Shipman's sister?
7. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
(a) He gets permission from the minister.
(b) He gets permission from their parents.
(c) He does it after class hours.
(d) He disguises it as current events lessons.
8. What is the name of Catherine's infant brother who died?
9. What is made from the tree sap?
10. Which of the following does Catherine not love?
11. Who had made the quilt given to the phantom?
(a) Mrs. Shipman.
(b) Mrs. Shipman and Lucy.
(c) Catherine and Cassie.
(d) Catherine and her mother.
12. Whose mother has an accident with a cow?
(a) Joshua Nelson's.
(b) Mr. Hall's.
(c) James Hallowell's.
(d) Asa Sampson's.
13. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
(a) He wants to know their names.
(b) He contacts the boys' parents.
(c) He talks to the boys about the dangers.
(d) He tells her not to worry.
14. What keeps Catherine home from school?
(a) A snowstorm.
(b) Scarlet fever.
(c) The flu.
(d) She must help at home.
15. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
(a) Mrs. Shipman.
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine see the apparition again?
2. Who makes a surprise visit to the Halls' home?
3. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
4. What job are the men doing as Chapter 9 begins?
5. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)