|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aunt Lucy visit Mr. Hall?
(a) To bring him a pie.
(b) To borrow some tea.
(c) To offer to home school the girls.
(d) To get a leather strap repaired.
2. Who is Catherine's friend?
3. What do the men have to keep constant in the camp while tapping the trees?
(a) Water level.
(b) Cooling temperatures.
(c) Humidity level.
4. What do Cassie and Catherine eventually decide to do regarding the phantom?
(a) Turn him in.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Give him food and a quilt.
(d) Trap him.
5. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
(a) Mr. Hall.
6. What does Mr. Holt attempt to teach the children in addition to the fundamental subjects?
(a) Culinary arts.
(b) Art history.
(c) Moral education.
(d) Sex education.
7. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Ignore him.
(c) Help him.
(d) Turn him in.
8. Which of the following is not a subject taught by Mr. Holt?
(d) Health and hygiene.
9. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
(a) He wants to know their names.
(b) He talks to the boys about the dangers.
(c) He tells her not to worry.
(d) He contacts the boys' parents.
10. What blocks passage on the roads?
(b) Fallen trees.
(c) Deep snow.
11. Which of the children complains about school?
12. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
(a) He gets permission from their parents.
(b) He does it after class hours.
(c) He disguises it as current events lessons.
(d) He gets permission from the minister.
13. What is Catherine's last name?
14. What is Mr. Holt's profession?
15. Catherine believes that _____________ has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) The phantom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the children doing as Chapter 6 begins?
2. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
3. Mrs. Hall is remembered as a woman of _______________.
4. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
5. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)