|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Hall and Uncle Jack disagree about what topic?
(a) Child rearing.
(d) Runaway slaves.
2. Who becomes ill when the temperature drops?
(b) Mr. Hall.
3. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(a) Canning fruit.
(b) Spelling and penmanship.
4. What does Mrs. Shipman send to Mrs. Nelson?
5. What technique does the author use to provide information about what happened in the past?
6. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A new boy in school.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The phantom and his journey.
7. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
(a) Bring her writing book home.
(b) Produce a play.
(c) Give a graduation speech.
(d) Start a sewing club.
8. What are Mr. Hall's plans to marry Sophy?
(a) He will think about it in a couple years.
(b) He wants to propose this month.
(c) No plans.
(d) He is thinking about it.
9. What does Catherine long to do as Chapter 2 ends?
(a) Host a gathering.
(b) Get married.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Learn to ski.
10. Chapter 8 addresses a heated debate between ______________ and the townspeople.
(a) Mr. Holt.
(b) Aunt Lucy.
(c) Mr. Hall.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
11. What suffers as a result of Catherine's preoccupation with the phantom?
(a) Baking and cooking.
(b) School work.
(c) Outside chores.
12. What does Asa want to do with the runaway slave?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Turn him in.
(c) Help him.
(d) Shoot him.
13. Who teaches Catherine and her sister housekeeping techniques?
(a) Mr. Hall.
(b) Her aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
14. Who takes care of Matty when she falls ill?
15. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
(a) The Hallowell family.
(b) The M. family.
(c) The Hall family.
(d) The Shipman family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
2. What is Catherine's last name?
3. Who is Mrs. Shipman's sister?
4. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
5. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)