|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the weather is cold one day and hot the next?
(a) The locusts swarm in.
(b) The kids get bad colds.
(c) The sap stops flowing.
(d) The old people get pneumonia.
2. What type of animals are used to clear the road?
3. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
(a) He lets her go sledding.
(b) He buys her candy.
(c) He writes a note.
(d) He strokes her hair.
4. Catherine tells her father about boys who ________________________.
(a) lean over thin ice to catch a drink.
(b) skate in pairs over thin ice.
(c) throw small children onto the thin ice.
(d) refuse to go skating because the ice is too thin.
5. What do the men believe regarding the girls learning math?
(a) They grasp match concepts quicker than the boys do.
(b) They like math more than the boys do.
(c) They don't need to know all the math that boys need to know.
(d) They can't possibly comprehend the math.
6. To what does Mr. Holt agree?
(a) To teach what the state requires.
(b) To teach only what the town's elect group has approved.
(c) To teach the students who pay him.
(d) To teach only the brightest children.
7. How does Mr. Holt communicate his request to retain his position?
(a) In public notices.
(b) In a telegram.
(c) In a speech.
(d) In a letter.
8. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They believe her.
(b) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(c) They are frightened too.
(d) They tease her.
9. From whose home does Mr. Holt move?
(a) The Shipman home.
(b) The Hall home.
(c) The Shroyer home.
(d) The M. home.
10. What do Catherine and Cassie do with the items Lucy has brought?
(a) Sew accessories onto their old clothes.
(b) Learn to cook different dishes.
(c) Read important literatures.
(d) Learn to make poultices and medicines.
11. What is made from the tree sap?
12. What does Mr. Holt give Catherine permission to do?
(a) Bring her writing book home.
(b) Produce a play.
(c) Give a graduation speech.
(d) Start a sewing club.
13. Who is Aunt Lucy seen kissing one night?
(a) Mr. Hallowell.
(b) Mr. Holt.
(c) Mr. Hall.
(d) Mr. Shipman.
14. What does Catherine work on while at home?
(a) Spelling and penmanship.
(c) Canning fruit.
15. The Hall family discusses Mrs. Hall's opinion on _______________________.
(a) the barn's distance from the house.
(b) wearing red.
(c) Mr. Hall's mother.
(d) helping the phantom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Holt get away with reading The Liberator to the students?
2. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
3. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
4. To what do Catherine's thoughts wander in school?
5. What has Asa seen that leads him to believe he has information about the apparition?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)