|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who hosts the Thanksgiving meal?
(a) The Shipmans.
(b) The Halls.
(c) The Millers.
(d) The Lenoxes.
2. What did Mr. Holt's friend, Mr. Garrison, find?
(a) A church.
(b) The American Red Cross.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A hospital.
3. Catherine finds a note that tells her to ________________________.
(a) read a love letter.
(b) write a poem.
(c) come to the woods at midnight.
(d) meet someone at the stone.
4. What does Lucy bring with her in trunks?
(a) Garments and sewing accessories.
(d) Pots and pans.
5. Mr. Hall tells his daughters a story about ___________________.
(a) right and wrong.
(b) his childhood.
(d) a headless woman.
6. What suffers as a result of Catherine's preoccupation with the phantom?
(a) Outside chores.
(b) Baking and cooking.
(d) School work.
7. How do Cassie and Asa respond to Catherine's sighting of an apparition?
(a) They tease her.
(b) They threaten to tell the minister about it.
(c) They believe her.
(d) They are frightened too.
8. Catherine believes that _____________ has taken the item from the storeroom?
(a) The phantom.
9. Why does Asa continue to take punishment for something he did not do?
(a) He is saving the phantom's life.
(b) He wants to set a good example.
(c) He wants to defy his father.
(d) He is helping Catherine.
10. Why are Catherine and Cassie out of school?
(a) A snowstorm.
(b) A parent teacher conference day.
(c) A holiday.
(d) A weekend.
11. How does Mr. Hall apologize to Catherine?
(a) He buys her candy.
(b) He lets her go sledding.
(c) He strokes her hair.
(d) He writes a note.
12. What frightens Catherine in the woods one day?
(a) An owl.
(b) A deer.
(c) A rustling noise.
(d) An apparition.
13. Who does Catherine tell about the phantom?
(a) Mrs. Shipman.
(b) Mr. Hall.
14. Which family was the first and loudest to condemn Mr. Holt?
(a) The Hall family.
(b) The Shipman family.
(c) The Hallowell family.
(d) The M. family.
15. Who had made the quilt given to the phantom?
(a) Catherine and Cassie.
(b) Mrs. Shipman and Lucy.
(c) Catherine and her mother.
(d) Mrs. Shipman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine see that leads her to her decision on who has taken the item from the storeroom?
2. To whose home does Mr. Holt move?
3. For what upcoming holiday does Mrs. Shipman help Catherine and Mary Martha prepare?
4. Where does Catherine's writing book appear after she loses it?
5. How does Mr. Hall react when Catherine tells him about the boys on the thin ice?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)