* A GATHERING OF DAYS is a journal written by Catherine Cabot Hall, who is thirteen years old when she begins in 1830.
* Catherine lives with her father and sister, Matty, in Meredith, New Hampshire.
* Catherine's mother and baby brother both died in childbirth.
* A neighbor woman, Mrs. Shipman, teaches Catherine and Matty fundamental household tasks.
* Catherine's best friends are Cassie Shipman and her brother, Asa.
* Catherine sees an apparition in the woods and tells Cassie and Asa about it.
* Catherine's Uncle Jack visits and relates newspaper stories about runaway slaves.
* Uncle Jack and Mr. Hall disagree on what should happen to runaways.
* Uncle Jack believes that runaways deserve freedom and kindness while Mr. Hall believes that runaways should be turned in to the authorities.
* Mrs. Shipman helps Catherine and Matty with preparation of food that can be stored for Thanksgiving.
* Mrs. Shipman's unmarried sister, Lucy, is coming for...
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)