|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of boat do the campers get to try?
2. Kissel thinks that the emblem on the Beavers' jackets looks like a squirrel holding _________________.
3. Who is the scholarly one in the narrator's dorm?
4. Why is Big Al unable to play in the big football game the day after the contest?
5. Who is the first boy to leave the contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the misfortunes that happened to the boys as they tried to engage in camp activities.
2. What happened to Big Al during the contest and what does the narrator realize about Umbaugh's actions years later?
3. Why was forestcraft so boring to the narrator and his friends?
4. Name some New Jersey characteristics that make it the butt of comedians' jokes.
5. What is the premise of A FISTFUL OF FIG NEWTONS?
6. What does the narrator think about the New Jersey traffic circles?
7. Describe some of the projects created in leathercraft.
8. How were the boys initiated into camp life upon their arrival?
9. How is the narrator--as an observer of life--typically different from people like Umbaugh and Skunk?
10. How did Proust and Balzac block out the world and what does that same thing for the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Shepherd use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Shepherd have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of the narrator. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Shepherd was masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Shepherd was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)