Opening and A Fistful of Fig Newtons or the Shoot-Out in Room 303
• A FISTFUL OF FIG NEWTONS are memories of a man named Ralph Parker who is stuck in a traffic jam in the Lincoln Tunnel as he tries to return to New Jersey from New York City.
• The narrator's car radio is broken so he distracts himself with memories beginning with college days as he sees some college kids in the car ahead of him.
• In the flashback, the narrator is in his apartment when he sees a former college friend named Umbaugh speaking on a public television program.
• Seeing Umbaugh on TV made the narrator think back to a particular night in college when the narrator was going to spend the weekend studying but was interrupted when he opened a pack of Fig Newtons, his favorite snack.
• The narrator was soon joined by two others in...
This section contains 2,214 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)