|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Preacher Man talks about how many people fall to his feet, as though he was ___________.
2. What did Darlene's dad supposedly have ready in order to get his daughter back?
3. Where does the Preacher Man go, leaving Pete feeling as though he is all alone?
4. How long was it before Darlene returned to town amidst all of the rumors?
5. Where did the rumors say that the car was left during the journey out of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pete give up when he goes to wait outside for the Preacher Man?
2. What does Pete remember feeling about his father when he was younger, according to the story?
3. What does Pete say that the Preacher Man will do for him when he is away?
4. Why does Pete think it's a good idea for him to leave with the Preacher Man, according to the story?
5. What does Rufus tell Pete about how the Preacher Man is affecting Pete, according to the story?
6. What does Pete decide to give to Rufus after he leaves, according to the letter he'd written?
7. What did Pete do to help thank Rufus for being there when he needed him the night at the filling station?
8. What is Pete's initial reaction to what Rufus tells him about the Preacher Man and what had happened the previous night?
9. What does Pete do in response to the guilt he feels for leaving behind his family?
10. What did Pete's mother do when Pete was upset and feeling like he had lost his faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pete is torn when he begins to get ready to leave town with the Preacher Man, and he has a number of emotions come up before he leaves.
Part 1: Why do you think Pete feels badly about leaving his parents behind?
Part 2: Do you think that Pete is making the right decision to head off with the Preacher Man?
Part 3: How do you think Pete might be able to leave without feeling badly?
Essay Topic 2
The Preacher Man talks to Pete about his wilder past, but Pete doesn't want to talk about that.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea for the Preacher Man to be so honest with Pete?
Part 2: Would you want to know about the negative things in the past of a person you admire?
Part 3: Why do you think the Preacher Man decided to tell Pete about his past?
Essay Topic 3
Rufus decided that he was a confirmed atheist, which was completely different from Pete's point of view on life.
Part 1: Do you think a Christian and a non-Christian can get along?
Part 2: Why do you think Rufus considers himself an atheist at such a young age?
Part 3: How do you think religion factors into a friendship?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)