|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joan's role in the church, according to Pete, as she walks by Pete as he waits?
2. Some people in town began to wonder if the Preacher Man was a __________ in disguise.
3. How many more nights would the Preacher Man be in town at this point of the story?
4. Pete was surprised that he was slightly _________ at the idea of leaving home and of leaving his family.
5. Pete worried about what he might say in ____________ to his parents, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pete ask of his parents in the letter he had written to them, expecting to leave?
2. Why does Pete have absolute faith in the Preacher Man, despite all of the worries that Pete has?
3. What does Rufus tell Pete about how the Preacher Man is affecting Pete, according to the story?
4. What had Walter encouraged Pete to become when he was much younger?
5. What are the things that Pete worries about when he is getting ready to leave with the Preacher Man?
6. What does Pete ask Rufus when Rufus comes to visit him, according to the story?
7. What does Pete remember feeling about his father when he was younger, according to the story?
8. What does Pete do in response to the guilt he feels for leaving behind his family?
9. What does Pete picture when he is sitting near the front row at the revival that night?
10. Why does Pete think it's a good idea for him to leave with the Preacher Man, according to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pete is torn when he begins to get ready to leave town with the Preacher Man, and he has a number of emotions come up before he leaves.
Part 1: Why do you think Pete feels badly about leaving his parents behind?
Part 2: Do you think that Pete is making the right decision to head off with the Preacher Man?
Part 3: How do you think Pete might be able to leave without feeling badly?
Essay Topic 2
Rufus doesn't seem to be affected by the preachers' warning about going to hell, and even looks the Preacher Man straight in the eye as he says he has not been saved.
Part 1: Do you think the Preacher Man has the power to send someone to hell?
Part 2: Why isn't Rufus intimidated by the Preacher Man?
Part 3: How do you think you would respond if someone told you that you were going to burn in hell?
Essay Topic 3
The Preacher Man talks to Pete about his wilder past, but Pete doesn't want to talk about that.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea for the Preacher Man to be so honest with Pete?
Part 2: Would you want to know about the negative things in the past of a person you admire?
Part 3: Why do you think the Preacher Man decided to tell Pete about his past?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)