|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pete see when he attends the revival again, though they are near the back?
2. Where had Pete been waiting for the Preacher Man and Rufus had watched him the whole time?
3. What does Pete do because he feels guilty about his plans to go off with the Preacher Man?
4. What does Pete help his mother with when she comes home from her errands?
5. What does the Preacher Man call Pete when they are talking to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing that Pete does the morning after he doesn't meet up with the Preacher Man?
2. What are the things that Pete worries about when he is getting ready to leave with the Preacher Man?
3. What does Pete ask Rufus when Rufus comes to visit him, according to the story?
4. What had Walter encouraged Pete to become when he was much younger?
5. What did Pete's mother do when Pete was upset and feeling like he had lost his faith?
6. What does Pete remember feeling about his father when he was younger, according to the story?
7. What does Pete picture when he is sitting near the front row at the revival that night?
8. What does Pete ask of his parents in the letter he had written to them, expecting to leave?
9. What makes Pete feel bad when his mother comes in with the groceries after she has run errands?
10. What does Pete tell his parents will happen after he attends the revival event that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rufus decided that he was a confirmed atheist, which was completely different from Pete's point of view on life.
Part 1: Do you think a Christian and a non-Christian can get along?
Part 2: Why do you think Rufus considers himself an atheist at such a young age?
Part 3: How do you think religion factors into a friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Pete feels that the Preacher Man is speaking directly to him when he goes to the revival.
Part 1: Why do you think Pete is so affected by the Preacher Man?
Part 2: Do you think that the Preacher Man is speaking directly to Pete?
Part 3: How do you think you might react in a revival setting?
Essay Topic 3
Rufus points out that when Pete is around the Preacher Man he acts like a robot and that he seems a bit dopey and taken by this man.
Part 1: Do you think that Pete is taken by the Preacher Man?
Part 2: Do you agree or disagree with the way that Rufus feels about the situation? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that Pete might not be thinking clearly when he's with the Preacher Man?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)