|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator expect to wipe away from his hands after the story is done?
2. What color are the Preacher Man's eyes in the story, according to Pete?
3. Who does the Preacher Man say saved Pete when Rufus asks him about it?
4. Who is Pete disappointed to see when he is waiting for the Preacher Man to arrive?
5. Pete's father is openly disappointed about the fact that Pete was ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen on Sundays at church, according to Pete as he tells the story?
2. What happens when Rufus asks the Preacher Man if he has saved Pete, according to the story?
3. What does Pete want his father's reaction to be after Pete announces that he has been saved?
4. What did Pete feel when he had awoken from fainting and saw the Preacher Man's eyes on him?
5. What is the warning that the Preacher Man gives to Pete about Rufus in his life?
6. What was the reaction that Pete had to the Preacher Man, the more that he listened to him?
7. When was the first time that Pete saw the Preacher Man come into town, according to the story?
8. When was the second time that Pete saw the Preacher Man in his life, according to the story?
9. What has been kept in the drawer since the beginning of seventh grade, according to the story?
10. What comes off of the pieces of the item that has been kept in the drawer for nearly a year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The revival setting is designed to stimulate the emotions of those who attend the meetings.
Part 1: What do you think happens at revivals?
Part 2: Would you ever want to attend or participate in a revival?
Part 3: Why do you think Pete is so keen to attend a revival, even if no one else he knows is interested?
Essay Topic 2
The Preacher Man talks to Pete about his wilder past, but Pete doesn't want to talk about that.
Part 1: Do you think it was a good idea for the Preacher Man to be so honest with Pete?
Part 2: Would you want to know about the negative things in the past of a person you admire?
Part 3: Why do you think the Preacher Man decided to tell Pete about his past?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator in the story really enjoys the idea of church, even though his parents do not.
Part 1: Why do you think the narrator enjoys church so much?
Part 2: Do you think it would be difficult to enjoy church if your parents did not?
Part 3: How do you think having more supportive parents might have helped Pete in the story?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)