|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy wanted someone to tell him that they would save him from __________.
2. The more that Pete listened to the sermon, the more that he hungered for ____________, according to the book.
3. What happens after Pete's parents go back inside the house?
4. What did Rufus decide he was when they went into fifth grade together?
5. During what season did the Man come into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pete feel about the night before at the revival service, according to the story?
2. What was the difference that Rufus noticed in Pete when he was waiting at the drugstore?
3. What stuns Pete when he is in the revival service with the others, according to the story?
4. What is the warning that the Preacher Man gives to Pete about Rufus in his life?
5. Why did Pete's grandfather not want to take his glasses off when he was baptized?
6. What comes off of the pieces of the item that has been kept in the drawer for nearly a year?
7. When was the first time that Pete saw the Preacher Man come into town, according to the story?
8. Why did Pete want to leave the revival service on the first night it occurs in the story?
9. What does Pete feel about the man that comes into town, according to the story?
10. What was Pete's mother's reaction to the fact that Pete had been saved by the Preacher Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Preacher Man doesn't come to leave with Pete, as he had said he would, leaving Pete to stay at the filling station until 1 in the morning.
Part 1: Why do you think that the Preacher Man invited Pete to go with him?
Part 2: Do you think that Pete made the right decision in deciding to go with the Preacher Man?
Part 3: What do you think happened to the Preacher Man and Darlene?
Essay Topic 2
Rufus doesn't seem to be affected by the preachers' warning about going to hell, and even looks the Preacher Man straight in the eye as he says he has not been saved.
Part 1: Do you think the Preacher Man has the power to send someone to hell?
Part 2: Why isn't Rufus intimidated by the Preacher Man?
Part 3: How do you think you would respond if someone told you that you were going to burn in hell?
Essay Topic 3
Walt tells his son that it's not his job to try to save their souls and is clear about how he feels about Pete's being saved.
Part 1: Why is Walt so defensive about the idea of church?
Part 2: Do you think that Walt is being as supportive as he should be for Pete?
Part 3: How do you think Pete needs to be supported by his parents?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)