|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rufus and Pete sit after they gone done with their trip to the truck stop?
2. Where did Pete and his family sit after they were done with their meal during this chapter?
3. Pete loved the ________ for as long as he could remember, even though his parents never did.
4. Walt tells Pete that he will go to _________ as much as he wants to go, end of discussion.
5. What was Pete looking at when he saw the man standing near the soda fountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rufus asks the Preacher Man if he has saved Pete, according to the story?
2. What is the warning that the Preacher Man gives to Pete about Rufus in his life?
3. What happened, according to Pete, to the congregation when the service was over with the Preacher Man?
4. What does Pete want his father's reaction to be after Pete announces that he has been saved?
5. Why did Pete's grandfather not want to take his glasses off when he was baptized?
6. What stuns Pete when he is in the revival service with the others, according to the story?
7. Why did Pete want to leave the revival service on the first night it occurs in the story?
8. What will make getting rid of the item in the drawer much easier, according to the story?
9. What does Pete feel about going to church the next night, after seeing his father's reaction to the news of being saved?
10. What happened when the Preacher Man takes Pete's hand after the service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Preacher Man doesn't come to leave with Pete, as he had said he would, leaving Pete to stay at the filling station until 1 in the morning.
Part 1: Why do you think that the Preacher Man invited Pete to go with him?
Part 2: Do you think that Pete made the right decision in deciding to go with the Preacher Man?
Part 3: What do you think happened to the Preacher Man and Darlene?
Essay Topic 2
Pete had learned at a young age that he needed to be careful with saying the wrong things to his parents.
Part 1: Why do you think Pete doesn't believe he can say certain things to his parents?
Part 2: How do you think Pete is held back in life by being careful about how he talks to his parents?
Part 3: Do you think children should be afraid of saying the wrong things around their parents?
Essay Topic 3
Walt tells his son that it's not his job to try to save their souls and is clear about how he feels about Pete's being saved.
Part 1: Why is Walt so defensive about the idea of church?
Part 2: Do you think that Walt is being as supportive as he should be for Pete?
Part 3: How do you think Pete needs to be supported by his parents?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)