|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the pronoun that Pete uses in order to refer to Jesus?
2. What does Rufus say that Pete looks like after having met the Preacher Man?
3. What did Pete think about Rufus when he hears what the coach says about his friend? He thinks Rufus is _________.
4. Where does Pete go in order to wait for the Preacher Man to talk to him again?
5. What was the Preacher Man doing when the boy first saw him come toward the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pete want to leave the revival service on the first night it occurs in the story?
2. What does Pete feel about going to church the next night, after seeing his father's reaction to the news of being saved?
3. What does Pete feel about the man that comes into town, according to the story?
4. What happened, according to Pete, to the congregation when the service was over with the Preacher Man?
5. What was Pete's mother's reaction to the fact that Pete had been saved by the Preacher Man?
6. What comes off of the pieces of the item that has been kept in the drawer for nearly a year?
7. What does Pete feel about the night before at the revival service, according to the story?
8. What happens when Rufus asks the Preacher Man if he has saved Pete, according to the story?
9. What stuns Pete when he is in the revival service with the others, according to the story?
10. Why did Pete like being friends with Rufus, even though they were completely different in many ways?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walt encouraged Pete to become a doctor so that he could help others in need, since there were many people who needed help.
Part 1: Do you think Walt and Pete have a good relationship?
Part 2: Why do you think Pete admires his father so much?
Part 3: How do you think Walt might be able to relate to Pete and his newfound faith?
Essay Topic 2
Pete notes that by the end of the sermon everyone in the room 'belongs' to the Preacher Man.
Part 1: Do you think that one person should ever belong to another person?
Part 2: Why do you think the Preacher Man tries to get everyone to adore him?
Part 3: How do you think one person can make everyone like them?
Essay Topic 3
Being saved helps Pete feel inspired and joyful, which makes him wish that he could be saved again.
Part 1: Why do you think being saved is such a joyful experience?
Part 2: Do you think that being saved might fill you with joy?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change once they were saved?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)