|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete tell Rufus that leaves Rufus feeling baffled by the comment, according to the book?
2. People would ask for the Preacher Man as they had heard of him through ___________ and wanted him to talk to their congregations.
3. Who seems almost like a stranger to Pete when he arrives to talk with him?
4. When the Preacher Man began to talk, Pete felt as though he already knew the __________.
5. During this particular summer in the book, Pete was feeling especially ___________ in his life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has been kept in the drawer since the beginning of seventh grade, according to the story?
2. Why did Pete want to leave the revival service on the first night it occurs in the story?
3. What was Pete doing in the drugstore when he didn't want the Preacher Man to see him?
4. What did Pete and Rufus arrange to do when they saw each other at the drugstore one day?
5. What comes off of the pieces of the item that has been kept in the drawer for nearly a year?
6. What happened, according to Pete, to the congregation when the service was over with the Preacher Man?
7. Why did Pete like being friends with Rufus, even though they were completely different in many ways?
8. What does Pete tell his parents about the fact that they never go to church together when they are sitting together eating breakfast?
9. What will make getting rid of the item in the drawer much easier, according to the story?
10. What would happen on Sundays at church, according to Pete as he tells the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator in the story really enjoys the idea of church, even though his parents do not.
Part 1: Why do you think the narrator enjoys church so much?
Part 2: Do you think it would be difficult to enjoy church if your parents did not?
Part 3: How do you think having more supportive parents might have helped Pete in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Rufus thinks that Pete has seemed a little dopey ever since he'd been saved.
Part 1: What do you think Rufus thinks about Pete's religious way of life?
Part 2: Do you think that Pete is being dopey in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think Pete is offended when Rufus tells him that he is being dopey?
Essay Topic 3
Rufus decided that he was a confirmed atheist, which was completely different from Pete's point of view on life.
Part 1: Do you think a Christian and a non-Christian can get along?
Part 2: Why do you think Rufus considers himself an atheist at such a young age?
Part 3: How do you think religion factors into a friendship?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)