Lesson 1 (from Chapter 1: Dust)
The broken cross is the first image that arrives in the story, but a reader doesn't understand its significance until much later in the story. Today's objective is to discuss the possible meanings of the broken cross, and why it might be necessary to throw it away.
1. Have each student list the five most important things they own.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss why they think it might be difficult to throw away sentimental items.
3. As a class, have the students discuss the possible meanings of the broken cross and why Pete might have troubles throwing it away. Do students think that by throwing something away, one can throw away memories too? Why or why not?
4. Homework: Have each student write about a time when they had troubles throwing something away.
5. Homework: Have students decide whether they think the broken cross is something that...
This section contains 5,081 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)