|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Maneck's roommate's body found?
(a) Floating in the water.
(b) On the streets.
(c) On the train tracks.
(d) In a burnt slum.
2. What part of the goonda's bodies were broken in their "accident" orchestrated by the Beggarmaster?
(a) Their arms.
(b) Their necks.
(c) Their fingers.
(d) Their legs.
3. Who comes to cut Shankar's hair in Chapter 14?
(c) The Beggarmaster.
4. What article of Om's clothing does Maneck tear during their fight?
(a) His pants.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His hat.
5. What type of weather keeps Maneck and Om from leaving the house during their vacation?
6. What article of clothing does Ashraf wish to buy for the tailors?
7. How does Nusswan feel about having Dina back in his home at the end of the novel?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is happy.
8. What has Maneck gotten a job repairing in Chapter 16?
(a) Sewing machines.
(b) Air conditioners.
(d) Car motors.
9. What type of occupation does Rajaram wish to hold?
(a) A barber.
(b) A doctor.
(c) An athlete.
(d) A teacher.
10. In Chapter 15, what family member does Ashraf tell the tailors has died?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His daughter.
11. What is the last thing that Dina hears the men breaking in her apartment?
(a) The sewing machines.
(b) The veranda.
(c) The quilt.
(d) The dinner table.
12. Whose home does the Beggarmaster bring Ishvar and Om to on their first night of freedom?
(d) His own.
13. What does Om spit in Thakur's face?
14. When Maneck's mother falls down the hill, what part of her body is injured?
(a) Her knee.
(b) Her elbow.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her back.
15. Who does the Beggarmaster say is in charge of deciding the fate of the slums?
(a) The police.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) The people.
(d) The goverment body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Maneck hope to return to his college roommate?
2. Whose idea was it that all four characters eat dinner together in Chapter 10?
3. For whose funeral does Maneck return to the mountains?
4. In his letter to Dina, when does Maneck say that he will be returning?
5. Who does Dina visit to ask for money in Chapter 9?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)