|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Barbara how she could have worked "for two years without knowing what was going to come out?"
2. In the mutant seedlings that Barbara had grown, what could be seen that didn't belong?
3. Why did Barbara feel bad every time she walked on grass?
4. Who was the theoretical physicist who was trained by Niels Bohr?
5. Who was quoted in the book as saying, "You let the material tell you where to go, and it tells you at every step what the next has to be?"
Essay Topic 1
Describe Barbara McClintock. What were some of her strengths and weaknesses? How do you picture Barbara from descriptions in the book? What kind of inner qualities did Barbara possess that made her a good scientist? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What happened when the author of the book, Evelyn Keller, set out to get on tape and on paper the "recollections and musings" of Barbara McClintock? Describe the experience that Keller had with Barbara and what her impression was of her.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Barbara McClintock to the world of science. Describe McClintock's importance to women in science. How did individuals benefit from knowing and working with McClintock?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)