|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Demerec summing up by the words, "Ten years ago they were visualized as fixed units with precise boundaries?"
2. When was Barbara's obvious occasion to present the full account of her work?
3. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
4. Who was quoted as saying, "By God, that woman is either crazy or a genius."?
5. Barbara McClintock sent off a paper entitled "Some Parallels Between Gene Control Systems in Maize and in Bacteria" to where?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sara McClintock (Barbara's mother). What struggles did Sara McClintock have to face while raising her family? Compare and contrast Sara McClintock and her daughter, Barbara McClintock.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Barbara McClintock broke free "of the hidden constraints of tacit assumptions" and allowed "the results of [her] experiments to speak for themselves."
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of Barbara McClintock to the world of science. Describe McClintock's importance to women in science. How did individuals benefit from knowing and working with McClintock?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)