|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many winters did Barbara spend in Central and South America?
2. In 1941, how many geneticists did Cold Spring Harbor draw?
3. Who was the President of the Carnegie Institution that Demerec urged Barbara to go talk to?
4. It is mentioned in Chapter 7 that in hindsight, most historians would say that the molecular revolution began at what time?
5. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lewis Stadler point out about the knowledge of genes and who else made this point with him?
2. In the early twentieth century what kind of science did biology transform into and what kind of science had it been before that?
3. Why did Freeman Dyson state that Richard Feynman was unable to communicate and hard to understand?
4. In Chapter 7, when it was mentioned that Barbara was in private upheaval, what significant event happened during that time and why was she in private upheaval?
5. During the time of the 1960s and 1970s what new honors did Barbara recieve from the larger world of biology?
6. How did Barbara arrange to get an invitation to Cold Spring Harbor?
7. What did Barbara feel was an organism that was especially unappreciated and why?
8. What were some of the reasons that Cold Spring Harbor was appealing to scientists during the summer?
9. Describe how the information or data that Barbara had collected filled her office.
10. What is the answer to Eveyln Keller's question when she asks, "What enabled McClintock to see further and deeper into the mysteries of genetics than her colleagues?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Barbara McClintock. What were some of her strengths and weaknesses? How do you picture Barbara from descriptions in the book? What kind of inner qualities did Barbara possess that made her a good scientist? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what mitosis is and also describe the stages in mitosis and what happens during those phases.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sara McClintock (Barbara's mother). What struggles did Sara McClintock have to face while raising her family? Compare and contrast Sara McClintock and her daughter, Barbara McClintock.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)