|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Evelyn Keller quotes Einstein. He said, "To these elementary laws there leads no logical path, but only" what?
2. In Drosophila a bacterium divide in two every how many minutes?
3. Barbara felt like above all, one must have what?
4. What did Barbara think when she found that Drosophila that were affected by radiation were more vigorous than the standard Drosophila?
5. Evelyn Keller mentioned that Barbara told "us" that one must have the time to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the time of the 1960s and 1970s what new honors did Barbara recieve from the larger world of biology?
2. in the late 1950s, what was the new option that materialized for Barbara?
3. How did Max Delbruck put Cold Spring Harbor on the map and for whom?
4. What difference did Milislav Demerec observe about the symposium papers from 1941 compared to the papers from 1951?
5. What did George Beadle tell Warren Weaver of the Rockefeller Foundation about Barbara's visit to Stanford?
6. How did Milislav Demerec describe what the view of genes was in 1941?
7. In the early twentieth century what kind of science did biology transform into and what kind of science had it been before that?
8. After a decade of total frustration in her efforts, what happened to make Barbara think that the resistance would be weakened that she had encountered?
9. What happened after Barbara delivered her talk at the Cold Spring Harbor Symposium?
10. What did Barbara feel was an organism that was especially unappreciated and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Evelyn Keller did a good job in describing what type of person Barbara McClintock was? How did Keller do at describing scientific jargon or vocabulary to the average reader? How did Keller touch each part of McClintock's life in her book? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your explanations.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what mitosis is and also describe the stages in mitosis and what happens during those phases.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what transposition is. What was the importance of Barbara's discovery of transposition in maize? How did this discovery affect the scientific world and Barbara's life?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)