Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Demerec summing up by the words, "Ten years ago they were visualized as fixed units with precise boundaries?"
2. When was Barbara's obvious occasion to present the full account of her work?
3. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
4. Who was quoted as saying, "By God, that woman is either crazy or a genius."?
5. Barbara McClintock sent off a paper entitled "Some Parallels Between Gene Control Systems in Maize and in Bacteria" to where?
Essay Topic 1
How is it evident in the book that scientists and we, as a society, underestimate the flexibility of living organisms? Are humans becoming better at accepting and understanding what living organisms can do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Rudolf Arnheim's words he wrote in Art and Visual Perception saying, "the realm of the unconscious could never enter our experience without the reflection of perceivable things." How does this quote relate to the life of Barbara McClintock?
Essay Topic 3
During the course of her life, Barbara McClintock had to deal with a lot of prejudices just because she was a woman. How would her life have been different had she been a man? Do you think she ever regretted the fact that she was a woman? Why or why not? Do you think women today still face certain barriers and "glass ceilings"? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)