|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
2. Who was the French intellectual who was mentioned in Chapter 11 that broke with the Communist Party in 1945?
3. Evelyn Keller mentioned that Barbara told "us" that one must have the time to do what?
4. Why did Barbara feel bad every time she walked on grass?
5. In what year did Evelyn Witkin come to Cold Spring Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the time of the 1960s and 1970s what new honors did Barbara recieve from the larger world of biology?
2. After a decade of total frustration in her efforts, what happened to make Barbara think that the resistance would be weakened that she had encountered?
3. In Chapter 7, when it was mentioned that Barbara was in private upheaval, what significant event happened during that time and why was she in private upheaval?
4. How did Barbara arrange to get an invitation to Cold Spring Harbor?
5. What happened after Barbara delivered her talk at the Cold Spring Harbor Symposium?
6. What did Barbara feel was an organism that was especially unappreciated and why?
7. What were the three critical factors in Millikan's style of research that Holton cited?
8. In the early twentieth century what kind of science did biology transform into and what kind of science had it been before that?
9. Why did it take Barbara six years before she could present the scientific world with her ideas on transposition?
10. Why did Freeman Dyson state that Richard Feynman was unable to communicate and hard to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Barbara's parents had an influence on her growing up and as an adult. Where do you think Barbara got her independence and scientific mind from?
Essay Topic 2
When Barbara visited Germany, she was faced with much sadness and turmoil because it was during the time of World War II and Hitler's reign. How do you think this experience affected Barbara and influenced her over the course of her life? Do you think this experience made her a better person? A better scientist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Watson and Crick's research, what they were famous for, and what their answer was to the question in Chapter 11, "how do genes make exact copies of themselves?"
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)