|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Barbara's father made an unofficial visit Frank Hanson concerning his daughter, he was currently working for what company as an industrial surgeon?
2. How often did fruit flies give geneticists a new generation to study?
3. Darlington described that in an adaptive hierarchy the chromosomes always come first. What comes second?
4. The subject of cytogenetics is about the relationship between the chromosomes and what?
5. In 1944, a paper was published demonstrating that what provided the material basis for inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ross Harrison gave his retirement speech from the vice presidency of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937, what did he state the embryologist was more concerned with?
2. What did Barbara do when she heard of people that were being hired as associate professors that didn't have the same credentials as herself, yet she remained an assistant professor?
3. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
4. What does C.D. Darlington remind his colleagues of in the opening pages of Recent Advances in Cytology?
5. What did James A. Peters say about the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote?
6. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
7. After Barbara received her PhD in botany and was appointed as an instructor, she knew what her next task would be. What was that task?
8. Describe Barbara's temperament as a child and what happened because of it.
9. What happened the time that Barbara was out playing basketball or volleyball in the neighborhood and a woman called her over to her house?
10. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what mitosis is and also describe the stages in mitosis and what happens during those phases.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Barbara McClintock. What were some of her strengths and weaknesses? How do you picture Barbara from descriptions in the book? What kind of inner qualities did Barbara possess that made her a good scientist? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
When Barbara visited Germany, she was faced with much sadness and turmoil because it was during the time of World War II and Hitler's reign. How do you think this experience affected Barbara and influenced her over the course of her life? Do you think this experience made her a better person? A better scientist? Why or why not?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)