|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Vice President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937?
2. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
3. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
4. In what year was Barbara McClintock born?
5. What is the usual process by which cells duplicate themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
2. What did T.H. Morgan tell a disappointed reader who confronted him about his book, Embryology and Genetics?
3. When C.D. Darlington was describing the views of colleagues in different types of sciences, which type of scientist does he compare to the naturalist and how does a naturalist see chromosomes?
4. What did Barbara do when she heard of people that were being hired as associate professors that didn't have the same credentials as herself, yet she remained an assistant professor?
5. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
6. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
7. What happened to Barbara a little more than a year after her brother, Tom, was born?
8. What did James A. Peters say about the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote?
9. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
10. What was the subject of the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote in 1931?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Barbara's parents had an influence on her growing up and as an adult. Where do you think Barbara got her independence and scientific mind from?
Essay Topic 2
What happened when the author of the book, Evelyn Keller, set out to get on tape and on paper the "recollections and musings" of Barbara McClintock? Describe the experience that Keller had with Barbara and what her impression was of her.
Essay Topic 3
Describe your favorite section or chapter of the book. What people from this section did you like? Were there any individuals you didn't like? Why or why not? What appealed to you about this particular chapter or section? Are there any words of wisdom that you found in this section?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)