|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Dean at the University of Missouri tell Barbara would happen if something happened to Stadler?
2. The differences that were studied in fruit flies had to do with their eye color and what else?
3. What is the word that describes a chromosome that has two centromeres?
4. What was the name of T.H. Morgan's single laboratory at Columbia University?
5. How many kinds of nuclear division do cells undergo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote in 1931?
2. What two people did Barbara McClintock invite to Cold Spring Harbor to outline the parallels with her own work and how was their work different from McClintock's?
3. What are the different stages of mitosis?
4. Why did Barbara experience long-term consequences because of the absence of a professional niche?
5. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
6. When Ross Harrison gave his retirement speech from the vice presidency of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937, what did he state the embryologist was more concerned with?
7. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
8. What are some things that were described in Chapter 5 that Barbara did that "irk the authorities" at Missouri?
9. What were the fundamental questions of genetics during the time of the early 1930s?
10. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Barbara McClintock. What were some of her strengths and weaknesses? How do you picture Barbara from descriptions in the book? What kind of inner qualities did Barbara possess that made her a good scientist? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sara McClintock (Barbara's mother). What struggles did Sara McClintock have to face while raising her family? Compare and contrast Sara McClintock and her daughter, Barbara McClintock.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Barbara's parents had an influence on her growing up and as an adult. Where do you think Barbara got her independence and scientific mind from?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)