|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many papers did McClintock publish between the years of 1929 and 1931?
2. What did Cornell geneticists study instead of fruit flies?
3. The cytology professor that helped Barbara on Saturdays also did what for her?
4. Barbara McClintock worked in Cold Spring Harbor since what year?
5. What year was it that Barbara requested a leave of absence without pay and left Missouri?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ross Harrison gave his retirement speech from the vice presidency of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937, what did he state the embryologist was more concerned with?
2. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
3. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
4. What are the different stages of mitosis?
5. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
6. In the mid-1930's and when she left Missouri what had she considered doing because of her jobless status?
7. What award did Brandeis University give McClintock and what was the award for?
8. When C.D. Darlington was describing the views of colleagues in different types of sciences, which type of scientist does he compare to the naturalist and how does a naturalist see chromosomes?
9. What happened the time that Barbara was out playing basketball or volleyball in the neighborhood and a woman called her over to her house?
10. What were Barbara's "personality difficulties" as described by T. H. Morgan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Barbara McClintock. What were some of her strengths and weaknesses? How do you picture Barbara from descriptions in the book? What kind of inner qualities did Barbara possess that made her a good scientist? Explain your answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what mitosis is and also describe the stages in mitosis and what happens during those phases.
Essay Topic 3
When Barbara visited Germany, she was faced with much sadness and turmoil because it was during the time of World War II and Hitler's reign. How do you think this experience affected Barbara and influenced her over the course of her life? Do you think this experience made her a better person? A better scientist? Why or why not?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)