Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the word or words that Barbara used in the book to describe a plant that was part dominant and part recessive?
2. What instrument did Barbara play in a jazz improvisation group?
3. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
4. What is another word for the process of synapsis?
5. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the fundamental questions of genetics during the time of the early 1930s?
2. in the late 1950s, what was the new option that materialized for Barbara?
3. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
4. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
5. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
6. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
7. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
8. What is the final stage of mitosis and what happens during this phase?
9. When C.D. Darlington was describing the views of colleagues in different types of sciences, which type of scientist does he compare to the naturalist and how does a naturalist see chromosomes?
10. What did James A. Peters say about the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote?
Essay Topic 1
Describe your favorite section or chapter of the book. What people from this section did you like? Were there any individuals you didn't like? Why or why not? What appealed to you about this particular chapter or section? Are there any words of wisdom that you found in this section?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book we learn and read about times in science when there were surprises because the implied ideas weren't met. What were some of these surprises that Barbara or others met? How did these surprises help Barbara's work? Did some of these surprises hinder Barbara's progression in her work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what mitosis is and also describe the stages in mitosis and what happens during those phases.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)