Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Demerec summing up by the words, "Ten years ago they were visualized as fixed units with precise boundaries?"
2. When was Barbara's obvious occasion to present the full account of her work?
(a) The next scientist's convention at Rutgers University.
(b) The gathering of the national Academy of Sciences.
(c) The publication of Recent Advances in Cytology.
(d) The next annual Cold Spring Harbor Symposium.
3. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
(a) A deep emotional investment on the part of the scientist.
(b) A openness to change.
(c) A willingness to accept a different solution than what you were hoping for.
(d) A good scientist.
4. Who was quoted as saying, "By God, that woman is either crazy or a genius."?
(a) George Beadle.
(b) Esther Parker.
(c) Joshua Lederberg.
(d) Evelyn Witkin.
5. Barbara McClintock sent off a paper entitled "Some Parallels Between Gene Control Systems in Maize and in Bacteria" to where?
(a) The Chicago Journal.
(b) American Scientist.
(c) American Naturalist.
(d) Naturalism in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Evelyn Keller talks about scientists that set out to understand a new principle of order. What does she say is one of the first things that the scientists do?
2. What is Neurospora?
3. In Chapter 11, Evelyn Keller states that molecular biology rescued the gene from decades of ambiguity and what?
4. In Chapter 10, who did Stadler quote to support one of his arguments?
5. How many scientists are mentioned in the quote by Einstein when he talks about the deep longing that has to be present in scientists?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)