|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the word that describes a chromosome that has two centromeres?
2. What date was Barbara McClintock born?
(a) June 30, 1903.
(b) June 16, 1902.
(c) June 1, 1901.
(d) June 21, 1908.
3. In what year did Richard B. Goldschmidt die?
4. Where are chromosomes found?
(a) In a cell's spindle.
(b) On a cell's centrosome.
(c) In a cell's nucleolus.
(d) In a cell's nucleous.
5. What was the name of the science that was born in T. H. Morgan's lab?
(b) Radiation genetics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
2. In A Short History of Genetics, the decade preceding World War II was described as what decade of classical genetics?
3. Who described Barbara as having a "green thumb" because everything she did turned into something big?
4. Who said, "I've known a lot of famous scientists. But the only one I thought really was a genius was McClintock"?
5. What was the name of the book that was published by Morgan, Sturtevant, Muller, and Bridges?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Barbara's position at Missouri not work out, according to Barbara herself?
2. What happened with Sara Handy and Thomas McClintock after Thomas graduated from Boston University Medical school?
3. What were Barbara's "personality difficulties" as described by T. H. Morgan?
4. Describe Barbara's temperament as a child and what happened because of it.
5. Who was the person that came to Cornell to get his PhD in genetics, why did he come to Cornell, and what was his previous experience?
6. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
7. What was the difference of studying genetics in maize versus Drosophilia?
8. What did T.H. Morgan tell a disappointed reader who confronted him about his book, Embryology and Genetics?
9. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
10. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)