|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did McClintock and her student, Harriet Creighton, publish a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences?
2. Who was the Vice President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937?
(a) George Beadle.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) T.H. Morgan.
(d) Ross Harrison.
3. What were the names of the flies that were used in studying genetics?
4. In what year did Cornell appoint its first woman assistant professor in something other than home economics?
5. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
(a) T. Painter.
(b) J. Lenderberg.
(c) G. Beadle.
(d) M. Rhoades.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position was Barbara McClintock elected to in 1939?
2. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
3. What was the name of Edward Tatum and George Beadle's hypothesis?
4. In what year was the First Oxford Chromosome Conference held?
5. What is the word that describes a chromosome that has two centromeres?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
2. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
3. What was the difference of studying genetics in maize versus Drosophilia?
4. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
5. What did Barbara do when she heard of people that were being hired as associate professors that didn't have the same credentials as herself, yet she remained an assistant professor?
6. What are some things that were described in Chapter 5 that Barbara did that "irk the authorities" at Missouri?
7. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
8. What was the subject of the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote in 1931?
9. What were Barbara's "personality difficulties" as described by T. H. Morgan?
10. After Barbara received her PhD in botany and was appointed as an instructor, she knew what her next task would be. What was that task?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)