|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the grant that the Rockefeller Foundation gave to Stadler in the mid-1930's?
2. There was a gap that appeared in Barbara's list of publications. In what year did she not publish anything?
3. What was the name of the science that was born in T. H. Morgan's lab?
(b) Radiation genetics.
4. In what year was Barbara McClintock born?
5. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
(a) As very small rod-shaped bodies possibly present in all cells.
(b) As representing a chemical structure and a genetic code.
(c) As a property of the organism.
(d) Through a math formula.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Barbara ask for a set of tools?
2. There were elements of the bacterial genome that were discovered that seemed to "jump around". These were called transposons, insertion elements, or what?
3. In 1936, the University of Missouri offered Barbara what kind of position?
4. Who wrote A Short History of Genetics?
5. When Barbara was taking a geology final when she was a Junior in college, what couldn't she remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ross Harrison gave his retirement speech from the vice presidency of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937, what did he state the embryologist was more concerned with?
2. What did Barbara do when she heard of people that were being hired as associate professors that didn't have the same credentials as herself, yet she remained an assistant professor?
3. What happened the time that Barbara was out playing basketball or volleyball in the neighborhood and a woman called her over to her house?
4. In the mid-1930's and when she left Missouri what had she considered doing because of her jobless status?
5. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
6. Why did Barbara adamantly reject female conventions and why was she not trying to just be "more boy than girl"?
7. What award did Brandeis University give McClintock and what was the award for?
8. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
9. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
10. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)