|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did McClintock and her student, Harriet Creighton, publish a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences?
2. What did Barbara think wasn't solvable, but was "merely a symbol"?
(a) Maize kernals.
3. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
(a) As a property of the organism.
(b) As very small rod-shaped bodies possibly present in all cells.
(c) As representing a chemical structure and a genetic code.
(d) Through a math formula.
4. In what year did McClintock complete her graduate work?
5. How many papers did McClintock publish between the years of 1929 and 1931?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Barbara McClintock elected Vice President of the Genetics Society of America?
2. What is the usual process by which cells duplicate themselves?
3. What was the name of Edward Tatum and George Beadle's hypothesis?
4. In what year was the Sixth European Nucleolar Workshop held?
5. In what year was the first woman admitted to Cornell University?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Barbara feel was an organism that was especially unappreciated and why?
2. After a decade of total frustration in her efforts, what happened to make Barbara think that the resistance would be weakened that she had encountered?
3. What happened with Sara Handy and Thomas McClintock after Thomas graduated from Boston University Medical school?
4. Who was the person that came to Cornell to get his PhD in genetics, why did he come to Cornell, and what was his previous experience?
5. What difference did Milislav Demerec observe about the symposium papers from 1941 compared to the papers from 1951?
6. In the mid-1930's and when she left Missouri what had she considered doing because of her jobless status?
7. How did Max Delbruck put Cold Spring Harbor on the map and for whom?
8. What is the example involving Love Canal that Barbara tries to explain relating to scientists and engineers?
9. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
10. What award did Brandeis University give McClintock and what was the award for?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)