|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A problem that had caught Barbara's fancy was a small body on the end of what chromosome?
(a) Chromosome 6.
(b) Chromosome 2.
(c) Chromosome 9.
(d) Chromosome 3.
2. What was the name of the cytology professor that gave Barbara private courses on Saturdays?
(a) Rollins Emerson.
(b) Lester Sharp.
(c) Marcus Rhoades.
(d) Thomas Belling.
3. What characteristically induces many chromosome breaks?
(a) Nuclear power.
(b) Nuclear division.
(c) Sonic booms.
(d) X Rays.
4. When it became clear to Barbara that she could no longer stay at Missouri, what did she consider as a possible career?
5. What were the names of the flies that were used in studying genetics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for the process of synapsis?
2. What did Barbara think wasn't solvable, but was "merely a symbol"?
3. In what year did Richard B. Goldschmidt die?
4. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
5. An experimental breeder can tell what a chromosomes is like from doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the year 1944 a crucial year for Barbara McClintock and the history of genetics?
2. What does C.D. Darlington remind his colleagues of in the opening pages of Recent Advances in Cytology?
3. In the mid-1930's and when she left Missouri what had she considered doing because of her jobless status?
4. Why did Barbara's position at Missouri not work out, according to Barbara herself?
5. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
6. What happened to Barbara a little more than a year after her brother, Tom, was born?
7. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
8. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
9. After Barbara received her PhD in botany and was appointed as an instructor, she knew what her next task would be. What was that task?
10. What is the final stage of mitosis and what happens during this phase?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)