|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was it that Barbara requested a leave of absence without pay and left Missouri?
2. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
(a) M. Rhoades.
(b) T. Painter.
(c) J. Lenderberg.
(d) G. Beadle.
3. Who wrote the Recent Advances in Cytology?
(a) Ross Harrison.
(b) C.D. Darlington.
(c) L.C. Dunn.
(d) Barbara McClintock.
4. How many kinds of nuclear division do cells undergo?
5. Who was the Vice President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937?
(a) George Beadle.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) Ross Harrison.
(d) T.H. Morgan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chromosomes became shorter and thicker during the first stage of what?
2. In the fall of what year did Evelyn Keller drive out to Cold Spring Harbor to speak with Barbara McClintock?
3. What was the name of T.H. Morgan's single laboratory at Columbia University?
4. How old was Barbara when her name was changed to Barbara?
5. What characteristically induces many chromosome breaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the mid-1930's and when she left Missouri what had she considered doing because of her jobless status?
2. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
3. What happened with Sara Handy and Thomas McClintock after Thomas graduated from Boston University Medical school?
4. What were Barbara's "personality difficulties" as described by T. H. Morgan?
5. Why was the year 1944 a crucial year for Barbara McClintock and the history of genetics?
6. What are the different stages of mitosis?
7. Who was the person that came to Cornell to get his PhD in genetics, why did he come to Cornell, and what was his previous experience?
8. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
9. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
10. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)