|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
2. Lewis Stadler had been at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
3. Lew Stadler had been on the faculty at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
4. In what year was the Recent Advances in Cytology published?
5. When Barbara was taking a geology final when she was a Junior in college, what couldn't she remember?
(a) Her name.
(b) The room number the class was in.
(c) Her teacher's name.
(d) The name of the class.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did McClintock and her student, Harriet Creighton, publish a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences?
2. Who was the head of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute when Barbara received the Guggenheim Fellowship?
3. In what year was the First Oxford Chromosome Conference held?
4. What profession did Barbara's father have?
5. What is the word that is used to describe the joining of fragments that have broken off a chromosome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
2. Why did Barbara's position at Missouri not work out, according to Barbara herself?
3. When Ross Harrison gave his retirement speech from the vice presidency of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937, what did he state the embryologist was more concerned with?
4. Why did Barbara adamantly reject female conventions and why was she not trying to just be "more boy than girl"?
5. What is the final stage of mitosis and what happens during this phase?
6. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
7. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
8. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
9. What happened to Barbara a little more than a year after her brother, Tom, was born?
10. After Barbara received her PhD in botany and was appointed as an instructor, she knew what her next task would be. What was that task?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)