|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George Beadle was a young graduate student from where?
(a) South Dakota.
2. The three major concerns of twentieth-century biology have been and still are what?
(a) Genes, development, and evolution.
(b) Heredity, chromosomes, and evolution.
(c) Heredity, development, and transposition.
(d) Heredity, development, and evolution.
3. Who wrote the book, Embryology and Genetics?
(a) Barbara McClintock.
(b) T.H. Morgan.
(c) C.D. Darlington.
(d) L.C. Dunn.
4. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
(a) Warren Weaver.
(b) Marcus Rhoades.
(c) T.H. Morgan.
(d) Harriet Creighton.
5. In 1936, the University of Missouri offered Barbara what kind of position?
(b) Assistant Professor.
(c) Graduate Work Professor.
(d) Assistant Graduate Professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a chemist see chromosomes?
2. Who was Dean of Liberal Arts at Missouri in 1940?
3. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
4. To what position was Barbara McClintock elected in 1945?
5. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference of studying genetics in maize versus Drosophilia?
2. Why was the year 1944 a crucial year for Barbara McClintock and the history of genetics?
3. Describe Barbara's temperament as a child and what happened because of it.
4. Why did Barbara's position at Missouri not work out, according to Barbara herself?
5. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
6. What happened the time that Barbara was out playing basketball or volleyball in the neighborhood and a woman called her over to her house?
7. What happened when Barbara discovered a way to identify maize chromosomes when she was working as a paid assistant to a cytologist?
8. Why did Barbara experience long-term consequences because of the absence of a professional niche?
9. What award did Brandeis University give McClintock and what was the award for?
10. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)