Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the word or words that Barbara used in the book to describe a plant that was part dominant and part recessive?
(b) Dual matched.
2. What instrument did Barbara play in a jazz improvisation group?
(b) Tenor banjo.
(d) Bass guitar.
3. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
(a) As a property of the organism.
(b) Through a math formula.
(c) As representing a chemical structure and a genetic code.
(d) As very small rod-shaped bodies possibly present in all cells.
4. What is another word for the process of synapsis?
5. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Evelyn Keller state is the best word to describe Barbara McClintock's stance on life?
2. There were elements of the bacterial genome that were discovered that seemed to "jump around". These were called transposons, insertion elements, or what?
3. In 1936, the University of Missouri offered Barbara what kind of position?
4. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
5. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the fundamental questions of genetics during the time of the early 1930s?
2. in the late 1950s, what was the new option that materialized for Barbara?
3. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
4. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
5. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
6. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
7. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
8. What is the final stage of mitosis and what happens during this phase?
9. When C.D. Darlington was describing the views of colleagues in different types of sciences, which type of scientist does he compare to the naturalist and how does a naturalist see chromosomes?
10. What did James A. Peters say about the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)