|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Cornell appoint its first woman assistant professor in something other than home economics?
2. In A Short History of Genetics, the decade preceding World War II was described as what decade of classical genetics?
(a) The discovery decade.
(b) The newborn decade.
(c) The climactic decade.
(d) The evolving decade.
3. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
4. In 1933, Barbara received a Guggenheim Fellowship to go where?
5. What was the name of the cytology professor that gave Barbara private courses on Saturdays?
(a) Thomas Belling.
(b) Marcus Rhoades.
(c) Lester Sharp.
(d) Rollins Emerson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that describes a chromosome that has two centromeres?
2. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
3. What position was Barbara McClintock elected to in 1939?
4. What is the word that is used to describe the joining of fragments that have broken off a chromosome?
5. Who wrote the book, Embryology and Genetics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote in 1931?
2. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
3. What did T.H. Morgan tell a disappointed reader who confronted him about his book, Embryology and Genetics?
4. Describe Barbara's temperament as a child and what happened because of it.
5. Why did Barbara experience long-term consequences because of the absence of a professional niche?
6. What happened when Barbara signed up for a large overload of classes at Cornell and why did she do it?
7. How did Barbara spend her time between the years of 1931 and 1933?
8. What two people did Barbara McClintock invite to Cold Spring Harbor to outline the parallels with her own work and how was their work different from McClintock's?
9. What happened to Barbara a little more than a year after her brother, Tom, was born?
10. What was the difference of studying genetics in maize versus Drosophilia?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)