|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the grant that the Rockefeller Foundation gave to Stadler in the mid-1930's?
2. The differences that were studied in fruit flies had to do with their eye color and what else?
(a) Leg thickness.
(b) Eye shape.
(c) Wing color.
(d) Wing shape.
3. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
(a) Harriet Creighton.
(b) Warren Weaver.
(c) T.H. Morgan.
(d) Marcus Rhoades.
4. What did Barbara's sister, Marjorie, become?
(a) A rodeo queen.
(b) A professional harpist.
(c) A banker.
(d) A school teacher.
5. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
(a) M. Rhoades.
(b) G. Beadle.
(c) J. Lenderberg.
(d) T. Painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work did Barbara's mother do contribute and make money?
2. What high school did Barbara attend?
3. A problem that had caught Barbara's fancy was a small body on the end of what chromosome?
4. Who described Barbara as having a "green thumb" because everything she did turned into something big?
5. What did Barbara's uncle do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did James A. Peters say about the paper that Harriet Creighton and Barbara McClintock wrote?
2. What are the different stages of mitosis?
3. What was the difference of studying genetics in maize versus Drosophilia?
4. What is the final stage of mitosis and what happens during this phase?
5. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
6. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
7. An excerpt from Frank Hanson's informal notes about Barbara McClintock are found in Chapter 4. How does Hanson describe Barbara's physical appearance?
8. What happened to Barbara a little more than a year after her brother, Tom, was born?
9. When C.D. Darlington was describing the views of colleagues in different types of sciences, which type of scientist does he compare to the naturalist and how does a naturalist see chromosomes?
10. What did Barbara do when she heard of people that were being hired as associate professors that didn't have the same credentials as herself, yet she remained an assistant professor?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)