|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Barbara ask for a set of tools?
2. Lewis Stadler had been at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
3. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
4. In 1944, a paper was published demonstrating that what provided the material basis for inheritance?
(a) Maize studies.
(c) Fruit flies.
5. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
(b) University of Missouri.
(c) Connecticut College for Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What high school did Barbara attend?
2. What position was Barbara McClintock elected to in 1939?
3. What did the Dean at the University of Missouri tell Barbara would happen if something happened to Stadler?
4. What did Stadler and McClintock share a keen interest in concerning maize?
5. Lew Stadler had been on the faculty at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what are the three major concerns of twentieth-century biology that are mentioned?
2. What were Barbara's "personality difficulties" as described by T. H. Morgan?
3. Describe Barbara's temperament as a child and what happened because of it.
4. In 1931, why did Barbara start to feel like it was time to leave Cornell?
5. Why was it described in the book that Barbara was born into the role of maverick and pioneer?
6. What are some things that were described in Chapter 5 that Barbara did that "irk the authorities" at Missouri?
7. What are the different stages of mitosis?
8. What are the three stages of prophase in meiosis?
9. Why did Barbara adamantly reject female conventions and why was she not trying to just be "more boy than girl"?
10. Who was Lewis Stadler and why did he want Barbara as a colleague?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)