Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Demerec summing up by the words, "Ten years ago they were visualized as fixed units with precise boundaries?"
2. When was Barbara's obvious occasion to present the full account of her work?
(a) The next scientist's convention at Rutgers University.
(b) The gathering of the national Academy of Sciences.
(c) The publication of Recent Advances in Cytology.
(d) The next annual Cold Spring Harbor Symposium.
3. Keller states in Chapter 12 that good science cannot proceed without what?
(a) A deep emotional investment on the part of the scientist.
(b) A openness to change.
(c) A willingness to accept a different solution than what you were hoping for.
(d) A good scientist.
4. Who was quoted as saying, "By God, that woman is either crazy or a genius."?
(a) George Beadle.
(b) Esther Parker.
(c) Joshua Lederberg.
(d) Evelyn Witkin.
5. Barbara McClintock sent off a paper entitled "Some Parallels Between Gene Control Systems in Maize and in Bacteria" to where?
(a) The Chicago Journal.
(b) American Scientist.
(c) American Naturalist.
(d) Naturalism in America.
6. In Chapter 8, Evelyn Keller talks about scientists that set out to understand a new principle of order. What does she say is one of the first things that the scientists do?
(a) Look for events that disturb that order.
(b) They watch the development of the order and then compare it to other orders.
(c) They make a list of rules that the order should follow.
(d) They identify any possibilites in a different order.
7. What is Neurospora?
(a) A gray mold on fruit.
(b) A red mold on bread.
(c) A green mold on mushrooms.
(d) A orange mold on corn.
8. In Chapter 11, Evelyn Keller states that molecular biology rescued the gene from decades of ambiguity and what?
9. In Chapter 10, who did Stadler quote to support one of his arguments?
(a) The Mad Hatter.
(b) Humpty Dumpty.
(c) The Queen of Hearts.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
10. How many scientists are mentioned in the quote by Einstein when he talks about the deep longing that has to be present in scientists?
11. Gerald Holton commented on scientific imagination and it's importance to how many particular scientists?
12. After what length of time did Demerec propose to make Barbara's position permanent at Cold Springs Harbor?
(a) A year.
(b) A week.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten days.
13. Who's number of year-round investigators hovered around six and eight?
(a) Cold Spring Harbor.
14. How many parts are in the process of transposition?
15. Which type of RNA contains the information coding for the sequence of amino acids?
(a) Coding RNA.
(b) Ribosomal RNA.
(c) Messenger RNA.
(d) Transfer RNA.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Esther Parker had bought a farm that was located how many miles north of Ithaca?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Evelyn Keller writes about Barbara giving her talk at the Cold Spring Harbor Symposium and that it was met with what?
3. In Chapter 12, Keller mentions that the adaptability of what tends to be especially unappreciated?
4. Who extended an invitation to Barbara to help in the collection and preservation of maize in Central and South America?
5. In the model that Monod and Jacob proposed, they stated that protein synthesis is not regulated by just the structural gene but by how many other genes?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)