|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara felt like above all, one must have what?
(a) A feeling for the organism.
(b) Ability to change our perception of things.
(c) Understanding of the possibility of the unknown.
(d) Complete willingness to accept.
2. In what year did Lewis Stadler die?
3. How many winters did Barbara spend in Central and South America?
4. Max Delbruck first came to the United States from what country?
5. In 1941, how many geneticists did Cold Spring Harbor draw?
(a) Over sixty.
(b) Over seventy.
(c) Over ninety.
(d) Over eighty.
6. In Drosophila a bacterium divide in two every how many minutes?
7. When the National Academy of Sciences elected Barbara McClintock as a member, how many other women before her had held that particular honor?
8. Why did Barbara feel bad every time she walked on grass?
(a) Because she knew the grass would die.
(b) Because she didn't want to get her shoes dirty.
(c) Because she knew the grass was screaming at her.
(d) Because she knew what sidewalks were for.
9. After Barbara's efforts were in vain to explain her discoveries she didn't talk except for the annual reports in what?
(a) The Cold Spring Harbor yearbook.
(b) The Cornell yearbook.
(c) The Missouri yearbook.
(d) The CIW yearbook.
10. Who was the French intellectual who was mentioned in Chapter 11 that broke with the Communist Party in 1945?
(a) Jacques Alexander César.
(b) Jean Picard.
(c) Jacques Monod.
(d) Francois Jacob.
11. In Chapter 7, Esther Parker had bought a farm that was located how many miles north of Ithaca?
12. Keller also mentioned that Barbara suggested to us that we must have what to "hear what the material has to say to you"?
13. The step-by-step evolution of Barbara's interpretation could be followed from her annual reports she wrote for who?
(a) The Rockefeller Foundation.
(b) The Carnegie Institution of Washington.
(c) The National Society of Sciences.
(d) The University of Missouri.
14. How many scientists are mentioned in the quote by Einstein when he talks about the deep longing that has to be present in scientists?
15. Barbara was impressed by the ability of some Tibetans to do what?
(a) Live a long time without water.
(b) Regulate their body temperature.
(c) Know many scientific secrets.
(d) Live on what the land gives them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most fundamental questions of genetics that was mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 9, Evelyn Keller writes about Barbara giving her talk at the Cold Spring Harbor Symposium and that it was met with what?
3. Who was the director of the 1951 symposium?
4. Who extended an invitation to Barbara to help in the collection and preservation of maize in Central and South America?
5. After what length of time did Demerec propose to make Barbara's position permanent at Cold Springs Harbor?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)