|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was quoted in the book as saying, "You let the material tell you where to go, and it tells you at every step what the next has to be?"
(a) Harriet Creighton.
(b) Evelyn Witkin.
(c) Barbara McClintock.
(d) Marcus Rhoades.
2. What is one of the most fundamental questions of genetics that was mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) How do genes make exact copies of themselves?
(b) How do genes make up particular objects?
(c) How do genes change in generations?
(d) How are genes important to the world of science?
3. In what year was Barbara's last attempt to explain her work to her colleagues at Cold Spring Harbor?
4. Who's number of year-round investigators hovered around six and eight?
(c) Cold Spring Harbor.
5. When was Barbara's obvious occasion to present the full account of her work?
(a) The next scientist's convention at Rutgers University.
(b) The gathering of the national Academy of Sciences.
(c) The publication of Recent Advances in Cytology.
(d) The next annual Cold Spring Harbor Symposium.
6. What does Keller state is a prerequisite for Barbara's extraordinary perspicacity?
(a) Her willingness to let her brain take over.
(b) Her love for studying.
(c) Her ultimate knowledge.
(d) Her drive to succeed.
7. Evelyn Keller mentioned that Barbara told "us" that one must have the time to do what?
8. Max Delbruck first came to the United States from what country?
9. Gerald Holton commented on scientific imagination and it's importance to how many particular scientists?
10. When the National Academy of Sciences elected Barbara McClintock as a member, how many other women before her had held that particular honor?
11. Who was the director of the 1951 symposium?
(a) Milislav Demerec.
(b) Lewis Stadler.
(c) Barbara McClintock.
(d) Richard Goldschmidt.
12. In addition to making copies of itself, DNA also makes what?
(b) Multiple nuclei.
13. In Chapter 11, Evelyn Keller states that molecular biology rescued the gene from decades of ambiguity and what?
14. How many scientists are mentioned in the quote by Einstein when he talks about the deep longing that has to be present in scientists?
15. How many kinds of RNA are made?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Barbara think when she found that Drosophila that were affected by radiation were more vigorous than the standard Drosophila?
2. What was Demerec summing up by the words, "Ten years ago they were visualized as fixed units with precise boundaries?"
3. After what length of time did Demerec propose to make Barbara's position permanent at Cold Springs Harbor?
4. How long did it take for Barbara to get from her first clues to her final interpretation dealing with transposition?
5. Who was the French intellectual who was mentioned in Chapter 11 that broke with the Communist Party in 1945?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)