|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of T.H. Morgan's single laboratory at Columbia University?
(a) Guy's Room.
(b) Fly Room.
(c) Fly Lab.
(d) Fly Guy's Lab.
2. Lewis Stadler had been at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
3. An experimental breeder can tell what a chromosomes is like from doing what?
(a) Looking at the whole organism.
(b) Looking at the genetic code.
(c) Seeing diagrams of the particular chromosome.
(d) Peering at it through a microscope.
4. At what age did Barbara ask for a set of tools?
5. What was the name of Edward Tatum and George Beadle's hypothesis?
(a) "Two genes-two enzymes".
(b) "One gene-two enzymes".
(c) "One gene-one enzyme".
(d) "Two genes-one enzyme".
6. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
7. One day, why did Barbara climb the side of a building and let herself in a window?
(a) Because she was displaying to her students that you can't always follow the norm.
(b) Because she had forgot her keys.
(c) Because she wanted to surprise a friend.
(d) Because she was trying to catch a cat.
8. What was the word or words that Barbara used in the book to describe a plant that was part dominant and part recessive?
(d) Dual matched.
9. What did Barbara's uncle do for a living?
(a) He was a scientist.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a baker.
(d) He was a fish dealer.
10. In 1933, Barbara received a Guggenheim Fellowship to go where?
11. In 1936, the University of Missouri offered Barbara what kind of position?
(a) Assistant Professor.
(c) Assistant Graduate Professor.
(d) Graduate Work Professor.
12. In what year was Barbara McClintock elected Vice President of the Genetics Society of America?
13. How long did the first conversation between Evelyn Keller and Barbara McClintock last?
(a) Five hours.
(b) Forty-five minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Thirty minutes.
14. What was the first name of Barbara's father?
15. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was considered to be the severest critic in the field of genetics during Barbara's time in the field?
2. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
3. In Chapter 1, it is mentioned that immune systems were studied in what animal?
4. While at the University of Missouri, Barbara was given little encouragement and even another woman was promoted to the rank of associate professor of zoology. What was the woman's name?
5. In what year was Barbara McClintock born?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)