|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Darlington described that in an adaptive hierarchy the chromosomes always come first. What comes second?
(b) Transposed cells.
(d) Second generation chromosomes.
2. Who said, "For us, neither the chemical code, nor the linkage map of the chromosome, nor the genes embodied in it, are enough"?
(a) Barbara McClintock.
(b) L.C. Dunn.
(c) James Stilworth.
(d) C.D. Darlington.
3. When McClintock speaks about having no chance of being promoted she states that she was excluded from what?
(a) Weekend get-togethers.
(b) Faculty meetings.
(c) Class time with other professors.
(d) Decisions about the department.
4. What instrument did Barbara play in a jazz improvisation group?
(a) Bass guitar.
(c) Tenor banjo.
5. Barbara McClintock worked in Cold Spring Harbor since what year?
6. What high school did Barbara attend?
(a) James Madison High School.
(b) Brooklyn High School.
(c) Maxwell High School.
(d) Erasmus Hall High School.
7. In Hanson's informal notes concerning Barbara, he claims that she weighed approximately how many pounds?
8. What was the name of T.H. Morgan's single laboratory at Columbia University?
(a) Fly Room.
(b) Fly Guy's Lab.
(c) Fly Lab.
(d) Guy's Room.
9. Who was the Vice President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937?
(a) T.H. Morgan.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) George Beadle.
(d) Ross Harrison.
10. In the fall of what year did Evelyn Keller drive out to Cold Spring Harbor to speak with Barbara McClintock?
11. Who was the co-author with McClintock on the paper that provided conclusive evidence for the chromosomal basis of genetics?
(a) George Beadle.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) Rollins Emerson.
(d) Marcus Rhoades.
12. A problem that had caught Barbara's fancy was a small body on the end of what chromosome?
(a) Chromosome 6.
(b) Chromosome 3.
(c) Chromosome 2.
(d) Chromosome 9.
13. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
14. What did Barbara McClintock receive her PhD in?
15. Lew Stadler had been on the faculty at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
2. What part of the corn was considered to be the endosperm tissue?
3. What discovery was a great boost to cytological analysis in 1933?
4. In what year was the Recent Advances in Cytology published?
5. Lewis Stadler had been at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)