|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The differences that were studied in fruit flies had to do with their eye color and what else?
(a) Leg thickness.
(b) Eye shape.
(c) Wing color.
(d) Wing shape.
2. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
(a) M. Rhoades.
(b) J. Lenderberg.
(c) T. Painter.
(d) G. Beadle.
3. What does Evelyn Keller state is the best word to describe Barbara McClintock's stance on life?
4. Who was Dean of Liberal Arts at Missouri in 1940?
(a) Lewis Stadler.
(b) W.C. Curtis.
(c) Frank Hanson.
(d) Barbara McClintock.
5. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
(a) T.H. Morgan.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) Warren Weaver.
(d) Marcus Rhoades.
6. In what year was the Sixth European Nucleolar Workshop held?
7. The three major concerns of twentieth-century biology have been and still are what?
(a) Heredity, chromosomes, and evolution.
(b) Genes, development, and evolution.
(c) Heredity, development, and evolution.
(d) Heredity, development, and transposition.
8. What did Barbara's uncle do for a living?
(a) He was a baker.
(b) He was a scientist.
(c) He was a farmer.
(d) He was a fish dealer.
9. Where are chromosomes found?
(a) In a cell's spindle.
(b) In a cell's nucleous.
(c) In a cell's nucleolus.
(d) On a cell's centrosome.
10. What was the name of the book that was published by Morgan, Sturtevant, Muller, and Bridges?
(a) Mendelian Segregation.
(b) The Theory of Mendelian Heredity.
(c) The Mechanism of Mendelian Heredity.
(d) Medelian Mode of Inheritance.
11. Lewis Stadler had been at the University of Missouri in Columbia since what year?
12. What was the principle object of interest to cytologists?
13. There were elements of the bacterial genome that were discovered that seemed to "jump around". These were called transposons, insertion elements, or what?
(a) Jumping genes.
(b) Jumping elements.
(c) Leaping elements.
(d) Leaping genes.
14. How often did fruit flies give geneticists a new generation to study?
(a) Every 15 days.
(b) Every 20 days.
(c) Every 5 days.
(d) Every 10 days.
15. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the summer of 1931, an invitation from Lewis Stadler brought Barbara where?
2. Barbara McClintock worked in Cold Spring Harbor since what year?
3. George Beadle was a young graduate student from where?
4. What was the first name of Barbara's father?
5. How many papers did McClintock publish between the years of 1929 and 1931?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)