Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the word or words that Barbara used in the book to describe a plant that was part dominant and part recessive?
(b) Dual matched.
2. What instrument did Barbara play in a jazz improvisation group?
(b) Tenor banjo.
(d) Bass guitar.
3. How does an anatomist see chromosomes?
(a) As a property of the organism.
(b) Through a math formula.
(c) As representing a chemical structure and a genetic code.
(d) As very small rod-shaped bodies possibly present in all cells.
4. What is another word for the process of synapsis?
5. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
6. What does Evelyn Keller state is the best word to describe Barbara McClintock's stance on life?
7. There were elements of the bacterial genome that were discovered that seemed to "jump around". These were called transposons, insertion elements, or what?
(a) Leaping elements.
(b) Jumping genes.
(c) Leaping genes.
(d) Jumping elements.
8. In 1936, the University of Missouri offered Barbara what kind of position?
(a) Graduate Work Professor.
(b) Assistant Graduate Professor.
(c) Assistant Professor.
9. Who said, "She is sore at the world because of her conviction that she would have a much freer scientific opportunity if she were a man"?
(a) Harriet Creighton.
(b) Marcus Rhoades.
(c) Warren Weaver.
(d) T.H. Morgan.
10. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
11. In what year did Cornell appoint its first woman assistant professor in something other than home economics?
12. In what year did Barbara McClintock receive her Ph.D.?
13. How often did fruit flies give geneticists a new generation to study?
(a) Every 5 days.
(b) Every 20 days.
(c) Every 10 days.
(d) Every 15 days.
14. In what year was the first woman admitted to Cornell University?
15. While at the University of Missouri, Barbara was given little encouragement and even another woman was promoted to the rank of associate professor of zoology. What was the woman's name?
(a) Harriet Guthrie.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) Mary Jane Guthrie.
(d) Mary Jane Creighton.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the term "genetics" coined?
2. Chromosomes became shorter and thicker during the first stage of what?
3. What did Barbara McClintock receive her PhD in?
4. What year did Barbara McClintock graduate from Cornell?
5. How many kinds of nuclear division do cells undergo?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)