|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Barbara when her name was changed to Barbara?
(a) Four years old.
(b) Four months old.
(c) Three months old.
(d) Three years old.
2. What is the word that is used to describe the joining of fragments that have broken off a chromosome?
3. In what year was the term "genetics" coined?
4. In what year did McClintock and her student, Harriet Creighton, publish a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences?
5. What was the name of Edward Tatum and George Beadle's hypothesis?
(a) "One gene-two enzymes".
(b) "One gene-one enzyme".
(c) "Two genes-one enzyme".
(d) "Two genes-two enzymes".
6. What was the word or words that Barbara used in the book to describe a plant that was part dominant and part recessive?
(a) Dual matched.
7. What high school did Barbara attend?
(a) Erasmus Hall High School.
(b) Brooklyn High School.
(c) Maxwell High School.
(d) James Madison High School.
8. Both of the grandparents on Barbara's mother side could be traced back to what?
(a) The Mayflower.
(b) The Speedwell.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Boston Tea Party.
9. In A Short History of Genetics, the decade preceding World War II was described as what decade of classical genetics?
(a) The evolving decade.
(b) The newborn decade.
(c) The climactic decade.
(d) The discovery decade.
10. Ribosomes are the what of protein synthesis?
(d) Garbage cans.
11. What did Stadler and McClintock share a keen interest in concerning maize?
(a) Its ease of study.
(b) Its genetic composition.
(c) The length of its generations.
(d) The length of its chromosomes.
12. What instrument did Barbara play in a jazz improvisation group?
(a) Tenor banjo.
(b) Bass guitar.
13. What does Evelyn Keller state is the best word to describe Barbara McClintock's stance on life?
14. When Barbara's father made an unofficial visit Frank Hanson concerning his daughter, he was currently working for what company as an industrial surgeon?
(a) Consolidated Iron Mines.
(b) Rockefeller Group.
(c) Standard Oil.
(d) World Oil.
15. What are considered to be the mainstay of genetic research?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for the process of synapsis?
2. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
3. Who wrote A Short History of Genetics?
4. What characteristically induces many chromosome breaks?
5. What was the name of the science that was born in T. H. Morgan's lab?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)