|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Darlington described that in an adaptive hierarchy the chromosomes always come first. What comes second?
(a) Second generation chromosomes.
(b) Transposed cells.
2. The three major concerns of twentieth-century biology have been and still are what?
(a) Heredity, development, and transposition.
(b) Genes, development, and evolution.
(c) Heredity, development, and evolution.
(d) Heredity, chromosomes, and evolution.
3. How old was Barbara when her name was changed to Barbara?
(a) Four months old.
(b) Three years old.
(c) Three months old.
(d) Four years old.
4. Where are chromosomes found?
(a) In a cell's nucleous.
(b) In a cell's nucleolus.
(c) In a cell's spindle.
(d) On a cell's centrosome.
5. What is the word that is used to describe the joining of fragments that have broken off a chromosome?
6. In what year did Cornell appoint its first woman assistant professor in something other than home economics?
7. Where did Harriet Creighton take a teaching job in 1934?
(a) University of Missouri.
(b) Connecticut College for Women.
8. What does NOR stand for?
(a) Negative opening region.
(b) Nucleolar organizer region.
(c) Nucleus order regulator.
(d) Nucleous orange region.
9. Who discovered the enormous salivary chromosomes of Drosophila?
(a) G. Beadle.
(b) J. Lenderberg.
(c) T. Painter.
(d) M. Rhoades.
10. Both of the grandparents on Barbara's mother side could be traced back to what?
(a) The Boston Tea Party.
(b) The Speedwell.
(c) The Mayflower.
(d) The Civil War.
11. How many papers did McClintock publish between the years of 1929 and 1931?
12. What does Evelyn Keller state is the best word to describe Barbara McClintock's stance on life?
13. What were the first chromosomes visible as?
(a) Long slender threads.
(b) Large square-like shapes.
(c) Small circular shapes.
(d) Short fat chunks.
14. The subject of cytogenetics is about the relationship between the chromosomes and what?
(b) The genetic systems.
(c) The chromatids.
(d) The nuclei.
15. In what year was the Recent Advances in Cytology published?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hanson's informal notes concerning Barbara, he claims that she weighed approximately how many pounds?
2. Who wrote the Recent Advances in Cytology?
3. What was the name of the cytology professor that gave Barbara private courses on Saturdays?
4. What was the principle object of interest to cytologists?
5. In what year did Richard B. Goldschmidt die?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)