|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
2. What were the names of the flies that were used in studying genetics?
3. How long did the first conversation between Evelyn Keller and Barbara McClintock last?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Forty-five minutes.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Five hours.
4. What characteristically induces many chromosome breaks?
(a) X Rays.
(b) Nuclear division.
(c) Nuclear power.
(d) Sonic booms.
5. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
6. How many kinds of nuclear division do cells undergo?
7. Who was the Vice President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1937?
(a) T.H. Morgan.
(b) Harriet Creighton.
(c) George Beadle.
(d) Ross Harrison.
8. What did Barbara think wasn't solvable, but was "merely a symbol"?
(b) Maize kernals.
9. What part of the corn was considered to be the endosperm tissue?
(a) The kernel.
(b) The husk.
(c) The silk.
(d) The stalk.
10. In what year was the Recent Advances in Cytology published?
11. In what year was Barbara McClintock elected Vice President of the Genetics Society of America?
12. Who was the co-author with McClintock on the paper that provided conclusive evidence for the chromosomal basis of genetics?
(a) Marcus Rhoades.
(b) George Beadle.
(c) Harriet Creighton.
(d) Rollins Emerson.
13. In what year was the first woman admitted to Cornell University?
14. What was the name of Edward Tatum and George Beadle's hypothesis?
(a) "Two genes-two enzymes".
(b) "Two genes-one enzyme".
(c) "One gene-one enzyme".
(d) "One gene-two enzymes".
15. When it became clear to Barbara that she could no longer stay at Missouri, what did she consider as a possible career?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Barbara when her name was changed to Barbara?
2. What was the name of the science that was born in T. H. Morgan's lab?
3. What was the name of the book that was published by Morgan, Sturtevant, Muller, and Bridges?
4. What are considered to be the mainstay of genetic research?
5. How long did Barbara have the position of assistant professor?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)