|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Capacity to Be Alone.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fall of what year did Evelyn Keller drive out to Cold Spring Harbor to speak with Barbara McClintock?
2. In what year was the term "genetics" coined?
3. What was the term that McClintock phrased that meant a capacity to change positions?
4. There were elements of the bacterial genome that were discovered that seemed to "jump around". These were called transposons, insertion elements, or what?
(a) Leaping genes.
(b) Leaping elements.
(c) Jumping elements.
(d) Jumping genes.
5. In Chapter 1, it is mentioned that immune systems were studied in what animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Barbara was taking a geology final when she was a Junior in college, what couldn't she remember?
2. In what year did McClintock and her student, Harriet Creighton, publish a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences?
3. The differences that were studied in fruit flies had to do with their eye color and what else?
4. What did Cornell geneticists study instead of fruit flies?
5. What was the first name of Barbara's mother?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)