• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Ogden, Jenni. A Drop in the Ocean. She Writes Press, 2016. Paperback.
• In Chapter 1, Anna’s career ends on her 49th birthday.
• She begins April 6 as she has for 15 years with breakfast at an Italian café in downtown Boston.
• When Anna arrives at the lab, her research assistant, Rachel, gives her a novel, the same thing she always gives Anna for birthdays and Christmas.
• Anna has been doing research on Huntington’s disease for the last 24 years.
• The medical granting body that has financed her research for 15 years has declined to renew her funding.
• They say that although she had made substantial discoveries, her work as become basic.
• They need to fund studies that are more cutting-edge.
• The other tradition Anna has on her birthday is to have dinner with her friend Francesca.
This section contains 6,099 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)