|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bella reminded of when the homeless man buys glass bottles in the store?
2. Bella says in the end of Chapter 16, "I knew, though, that life was never that easy, that instead of doors being opened for you, to get anywhere, you have to" do what (197)?
(a) "Open them yourself."
(b) "Dig under them."
(c) "Climb over them."
(d) "Jump over fences."
3. Where does Sylvia say she would like to travel to when Gavin departs in Chapter 21?
(a) San Jose.
4. What does Bella do after meeting the kittens in Chapter 20?
(a) She goes and sits by the gate.
(b) She chases them around the yard.
(c) She begins barking nonstop.
(d) She knocks them into the pool.
5. What is Axel's response when Tom says to him in Chapter 24, "I just wish you would let people help you, Axel" (271)?
(a) "No one can help me now."
(b) "I don't want people's help so leave."
(c) "It's people who did this to me, Tom."
(d) "I don't need anyone but my dog."
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hikers believe Bella's breed to be in Chapter 14?
2. What smell permeates Sylvia's house?
3. How many young men are at Axel's tent when Bella and he arrive in the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. Where is Taylor going on a trip when he and Gavin prepare to take the dogs back to their owner in Chapter 18?
5. Where did Gavin's sister go after having it out with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dutch run away in Chapter 18?
2. How does Kurch respond to being reunited with Dutch?
3. How is the setting of Kurch's home described?
4. How does Bella initially encounter Dutch?
5. Who is Tom and why is he important in the narrative?
6. What does Bella steal from the grocery store in Chapter 22? What are the repercussions of this action?
7. Where do Gavin and Taylor take Bella and Dutch in Chapter 17? Why?
8. Who is Chloe and what are Bella's impressions of her?
9. Who is Sylvia and how is she described?
10. How does Bella save the kittens in Chapter 20?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)