|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dog has ___________ brothers and sisters.
2. Where does the dog follow Ethan?
3. What does Maya tell Jakob she is thinking of doing?
4. How does Jakob respond to what Maya tells him?
5. Jakob teaches Ellie not to be afraid of what sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
2. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
3. How is the dog park important?
4. How do both Maya and Jakob compare to Ethan? Which does Ellie like best? Why?
5. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
6. Compare Maya and Jakob.
7. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
8. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
9. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
10. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Making others happy is a theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is this a theme? How can the reader relate to this theme? How does this theme affect the main character throughout the story?
Part 2) Is the main character changed for the better because he desires to make others happy? Why or why not? When does his desire to make others happy become detrimental to him? How can humans relate to this?
Part 3) Should people try to make others happy? Why or why not? How does this book support your response?
Essay Topic 2
Todd is an antagonist in the story.
Part 1) Describe Todd. How does he develop over the course of the story? What assumptions are made about what has led him to act the way he does? Is there anything that could have been done to change him? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 2) How does Todd's attitude and behavior affect those around him? What is his purpose in the story? What other characters throughout the book are similar to Todd? How are they similar?
Part 3) How do antagonists in your own life influence and affect you? How do you deal with them? What can be learned from your experiences with them?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)