|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of the day a woman comes with a big, ____________ dog.
2. The government of _________________ is overwhelmed with more than 4,000 injured, hundreds dead, and people still trapped.
3. Jakob tells Maya he is taking disability and getting his __________ degree at UCLA.
4. What happens when Ethan is contacted and told the dog was to be adopted?
5. For how long does the main character live in the dog park?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
2. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
3. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
4. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
5. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
6. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
7. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
8. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
9. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
10. How is the dog park important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Repetition of various elements is used in this story.
Part 1) What elements are repeated? Why are they repeated? How does the dog react to this repetition? How is the reader affected by this repetition?
Part 2) Is this repetition effective? Why or why not? What other literary devices are used in this book? Why are they used?
Part 3) What repetitive actions exist in humans lives? What actions do all or most humans have in common? What do these actions reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 2
The dog has a very important purpose throughout his many lives.
Part 1) What is this purpose? How is this purpose revealed in each life? How does he come to realize his purpose? How does he feel about this purpose? Why does he feel this way?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this purpose? What are purposes that humans can have? How do these compare to this dog's purpose?
Part 3) What do you believe is your purpose in life? How can you fulfill this purpose?
Essay Topic 3
The dog's sense of smell is very important in this book.
Part 1) In what ways is sense of smell important? How does it affect the story? How does it prepare the reader for what is to come?
Part 2) What other dog abilities are shown in this book? Why are these abilities shown? What can humans learn from the abilities of dogs?
Part 3) What abilities do humans have? How do we benefit from these abilities? How do others benefit from our abilities? What connections can be made between what the dog is capable of and what human are capable of doing?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)