|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marilyn?
2. Wally tells Maya how Ellie looks when she ___________.
3. The next time Maya and Ellie go to work, Ellie finds whom up a tree?
4. Bailey wonders how he could have a more important mission than ___________.
5. Why is Victor notified he will be fined $50?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
2. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
3. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
4. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
5. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
6. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
7. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
8. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
9. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
10. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character feels empathy for others.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the story? How is this a theme? To what themes is this one connected? How is it connected?
Part 2) How can people learn from this ability to sense the emotions of others and feel empathy for them? How can we be more empathetic towards others?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be empathetic? Why or why not? How can you be more empathetic to others?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)