|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next day Buddy/Bailey finds his way to town by smell and finds what?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Bailey realize when he wakes up?
3. What does Jakob tell Maya she should do?
4. Why is there some concern about the puppy who was Ellie?
5. What is Maya's neighbor Al always doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
2. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
3. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
4. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
5. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
6. Describe the reuniting of Ethan and the dog. What might be the author's reason for this reunion?
7. Compare Maya and Jakob.
8. How has Ellie's life changed? How does this compare to the changes in Bailey's life?
9. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
10. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character feels empathy for others.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the story? How is this a theme? To what themes is this one connected? How is it connected?
Part 2) How can people learn from this ability to sense the emotions of others and feel empathy for them? How can we be more empathetic towards others?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be empathetic? Why or why not? How can you be more empathetic to others?
Essay Topic 2
An important theme in this book supports the belief that dog is man's best friend.
Part 1) How is this theme supported in this book? How is this an important theme? Why might this be an important theme?
Part 2) Which do you believe is more accurate, that dog is man's best friend or that man is dog's best friend? Why? Does this book support your belief? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How have dogs been important to the development of human society? What other animals have also played pivotal roles in the building of our world today?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)