|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jakob respond to what Maya tells him?
2. Where is the dog taken?
3. What does Jakob tell Maya she should do?
4. Why is there some concern about the puppy who was Ellie?
5. The puppy is the last one to be adopted by a man named Derek who offers ___________, a low price for a pedigreed black Labrador.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
2. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
3. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
4. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
5. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
6. How has Ellie's life changed? How does this compare to the changes in Bailey's life?
7. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
8. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
9. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
10. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character feels primal rage towards several characters in this book.
Part 1) For whom does the main character feel this strong rage? How does this rage influence how the dog acts? What are the consequences of the dog's actions? What can be learned from this?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this rage? Should humans react more like this dog to feelings of rage? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you felt feelings of rage? How did you deal with these feelings? What have you learned from these feelings and the situation that led to this rage?
Essay Topic 2
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)