|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog follow Ethan?
2. Maya is ______________ Jakob.
3. Why can neither Jakob nor Maya love Ellie as Ethan had?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Bailey realize when he wakes up?
5. During the next days, Ellie and Maya found two children who had wandered away and a dead man. Maya is _____________ about the dead man than Jakob had been about such things.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reuniting of Ethan and the dog. What might be the author's reason for this reunion?
2. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
3. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
4. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
5. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
6. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
7. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
8. How do both Maya and Jakob compare to Ethan? Which does Ellie like best? Why?
9. How has the main character changed and stayed the same?
10. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cats are symbolic in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cats in this story. Why might they be this way? How do they affect Bailey and other dogs?
Part 2) How are cats symbolic? How does the repetition of encounters with cats reveal this symbolism?
Part 3) What other symbolism exists in this story? How does this affect the story?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)