|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jakob respond to what Maya tells him?
2. The government of _________________ is overwhelmed with more than 4,000 injured, hundreds dead, and people still trapped.
3. How does the dog feel at the dog park, when he first arrives?
4. The puppy's new home reminds her of what place?
5. Ethan puts the dog outside and tells him to go home, but the dog barks so much that he _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
2. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
3. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
4. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
5. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
6. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
7. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
8. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
9. What repetition continues through this section? Why?
10. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An important theme later in the book is one of lost dreams and shattered hopes.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed in the book? How is this theme important? What is the purpose of this theme? How does it compare to other themes in this book?
Part 2) What role does this theme play in the various lives the main character lives? How is this theme connected to the dog's purpose and the title of the book?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to this theme? How can the reader learn from the main character's attitude regarding this loss and sadness?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)