|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog named?
2. One day Jakob takes Ellie to the woods where they meet a man named ______________ who pets her and then runs away. Jakob teaches Ellie to find this man.
3. Maya tells Ellie that they are going to work together and Ellie can sleep __________.
4. For how long does the main character live in the dog park?
5. Jakob teaches Ellie to find a person by __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Maya and Jakob.
2. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
3. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
4. How do both Maya and Jakob compare to Ethan? Which does Ellie like best? Why?
5. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
6. How has Ellie's life changed? How does this compare to the changes in Bailey's life?
7. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
8. What repetition continues through this section? Why?
9. How is the dog park important?
10. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Making others happy is a theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is this a theme? How can the reader relate to this theme? How does this theme affect the main character throughout the story?
Part 2) Is the main character changed for the better because he desires to make others happy? Why or why not? When does his desire to make others happy become detrimental to him? How can humans relate to this?
Part 3) Should people try to make others happy? Why or why not? How does this book support your response?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe for instances when foreshadowing occurs. Why does it occur? What is foreshadowed? Why does the author choose to use foreshadowing in these instances?
Part 2) What other literary devices are used by the author? Does the use of literary devices enhance the book? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How else does the author make the book more engaging? Is there anything else the author could have done to improve this book? If so, what? If not, why not?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)