|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellie starts to feel there is something sad inside Jakob that keeps him from _________.
2. Ethan tells Buddy he never thought he would end up how?
3. Who is Marilyn?
4. A few evenings later, Maya pulls up to her house. Why does she say she cannot get out of the car?
5. Jakob teaches Ellie not to be afraid of what sound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do both Maya and Jakob compare to Ethan? Which does Ellie like best? Why?
2. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
3. Describe the reuniting of Ethan and the dog. What might be the author's reason for this reunion?
4. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
5. Compare Maya and Jakob.
6. How is Ethan able to see Bailey's true identity?
7. How has Ellie's life changed? How does this compare to the changes in Bailey's life?
8. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
9. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
10. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character feels primal rage towards several characters in this book.
Part 1) For whom does the main character feel this strong rage? How does this rage influence how the dog acts? What are the consequences of the dog's actions? What can be learned from this?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this rage? Should humans react more like this dog to feelings of rage? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you felt feelings of rage? How did you deal with these feelings? What have you learned from these feelings and the situation that led to this rage?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has several owners throughout this story.
Part 1) Describe his various owners. How do these owners compare to each other? How do the feelings and actions of these owners affect the main character?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to the dog's various situations, due to his owners? How do those around us influence us?
Part 3) What can be learned from the main character regarding his owners? How can we apply this to our relationships with our parents, bosses, and other superiors?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)