|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ellie is now a boy again and has a mother with a _____________ face.
2. Ethan tells Buddy he never thought he would end up how?
3. Why does the dog lift his head with a jolt of surprise, as he drinks water at the river?
4. When Ethan comes out the next day, how does he feel about the dog still being there?
5. Jakob tells Maya he is taking disability and getting his __________ degree at UCLA.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
2. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
3. Compare Maya and Jakob.
4. Describe the reuniting of Ethan and the dog. What might be the author's reason for this reunion?
5. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
6. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
7. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
8. How is Ethan able to see Bailey's true identity?
9. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
10. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A mother's love is a universal theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a universal theme? How is this theme revealed in this book? How is repetition used in conjunction with this theme? What purpose does this serve?
Part 2) What is another universal theme found in this book? How are universal themes important in this book? How do these universal themes affect the reader?
Part 3) How are these themes tied to the main character's purpose in this book? How are they also tied to the purpose of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Repetition of various elements is used in this story.
Part 1) What elements are repeated? Why are they repeated? How does the dog react to this repetition? How is the reader affected by this repetition?
Part 2) Is this repetition effective? Why or why not? What other literary devices are used in this book? Why are they used?
Part 3) What repetitive actions exist in humans lives? What actions do all or most humans have in common? What do these actions reveal about humans?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)