|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of the day a woman comes with a big, ____________ dog.
2. What silly names does the nice woman call Ellie?
3. Jakob takes Ellie to a kennel at work where there are two dogs, Gypsy and ______________.
4. How frequently does Ellie start going to work with Jakob?
5. Why does the dog eat the food of an old dog named Leo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
2. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
3. Describe the reuniting of Ethan and the dog. What might be the author's reason for this reunion?
4. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
5. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
6. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
7. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
8. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
9. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
10. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme in this book supports the belief that dog is man's best friend.
Part 1) How is this theme supported in this book? How is this an important theme? Why might this be an important theme?
Part 2) Which do you believe is more accurate, that dog is man's best friend or that man is dog's best friend? Why? Does this book support your belief? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How have dogs been important to the development of human society? What other animals have also played pivotal roles in the building of our world today?
Essay Topic 2
The main character uses his knowledge from previous lives to guide him in new lives.
Part 1) What knowledge does the dog remember from one life to the next? How does he benefit from this knowledge? What is the purpose of his knowing about each of his lives?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to these multiple lives and the lessons and skills learned in each? How can the reader apply this in his or her one life?
Part 3) What knowledge do you have now that you would want to take with you to another life? How is this knowledge important? How could you benefit from it in another life?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)