|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How frequently does Ellie start going to work with Jakob?
2. What does Maya tell Jakob she is thinking of doing?
3. What does the puppy wonder?
4. What do Ethan and Buddy start doing together?
5. What does Wally teach Maya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
2. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
3. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
4. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
5. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
6. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
7. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
8. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
9. How has the main character changed and stayed the same?
10. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
Essay Topic 2
The main character has several owners throughout this story.
Part 1) Describe his various owners. How do these owners compare to each other? How do the feelings and actions of these owners affect the main character?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to the dog's various situations, due to his owners? How do those around us influence us?
Part 3) What can be learned from the main character regarding his owners? How can we apply this to our relationships with our parents, bosses, and other superiors?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)