|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A man comes and claps and puts the puppies who__________________ into a box.
2. Maya is ______________ Jakob.
3. The dog has ___________ brothers and sisters.
4. What does the dog think he must do for Ethan?
5. Wally tells Maya how Ellie looks when she ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dog park important?
2. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
3. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
4. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
5. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
6. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
7. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
8. How has the main character changed and stayed the same?
9. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
10. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character uses his knowledge from previous lives to guide him in new lives.
Part 1) What knowledge does the dog remember from one life to the next? How does he benefit from this knowledge? What is the purpose of his knowing about each of his lives?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to these multiple lives and the lessons and skills learned in each? How can the reader apply this in his or her one life?
Part 3) What knowledge do you have now that you would want to take with you to another life? How is this knowledge important? How could you benefit from it in another life?
Essay Topic 2
The dog has a very important purpose throughout his many lives.
Part 1) What is this purpose? How is this purpose revealed in each life? How does he come to realize his purpose? How does he feel about this purpose? Why does he feel this way?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this purpose? What are purposes that humans can have? How do these compare to this dog's purpose?
Part 3) What do you believe is your purpose in life? How can you fulfill this purpose?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)