|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maya is ______________ Jakob.
2. What happens when Ethan is contacted and told the dog was to be adopted?
3. How often do Maya and Ellie work?
4. Ethan tells Buddy he never thought he would end up how?
5. Why does the woman with the dog who smells of Hannah call out to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie's last rescue reveal about her training?
2. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
3. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
4. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
5. How is the dog park important?
6. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
7. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
8. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
9. What is learned about Jakob? How does this encourage Maya?
10. How does Ellie sacrifice herself in this section? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme in this book supports the belief that dog is man's best friend.
Part 1) How is this theme supported in this book? How is this an important theme? Why might this be an important theme?
Part 2) Which do you believe is more accurate, that dog is man's best friend or that man is dog's best friend? Why? Does this book support your belief? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How have dogs been important to the development of human society? What other animals have also played pivotal roles in the building of our world today?
Essay Topic 2
Repetition of various elements is used in this story.
Part 1) What elements are repeated? Why are they repeated? How does the dog react to this repetition? How is the reader affected by this repetition?
Part 2) Is this repetition effective? Why or why not? What other literary devices are used in this book? Why are they used?
Part 3) What repetitive actions exist in humans lives? What actions do all or most humans have in common? What do these actions reveal about humans?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)