|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ethan comes out the next day, how does he feel about the dog still being there?
2. Why is there some concern about the puppy who was Ellie?
3. Maya and Ellie take a long run which delights Ellie. How does Maya feel?
4. What does the dog think he must do for Ethan?
5. The next time Maya and Ellie go to work, Ellie finds whom up a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
2. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
3. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
4. How is the dog park important?
5. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
6. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
7. How is Ethan able to see Bailey's true identity?
8. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
9. Why might Ethan have kept the flip?
10. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character uses his knowledge from previous lives to guide him in new lives.
Part 1) What knowledge does the dog remember from one life to the next? How does he benefit from this knowledge? What is the purpose of his knowing about each of his lives?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to these multiple lives and the lessons and skills learned in each? How can the reader apply this in his or her one life?
Part 3) What knowledge do you have now that you would want to take with you to another life? How is this knowledge important? How could you benefit from it in another life?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The story is seen through the eyes of a dog.
Part 1) How is his view "dog-like?" What human behaviors and actions does he view differently from how a human would view them? How might this affect the reader?
Part 2) What can be learned about humans through the eyes of this main character? What is revealed through this innocent animal?
Part 3) How can you begin to view the world with new eyes? How might this affect you and the way you see the world and those around you? Would this affect you in a positive or negative way? Why?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)