|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan tells Buddy he never thought he would end up how?
2. Jakob tells Maya he is taking disability and getting his __________ degree at UCLA.
3. How much does Bailey remember about his past lives?
4. Buddy feels what in Ethan?
5. How often do Maya and Ellie work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
2. How has Ellie's life changed? How does this compare to the changes in Bailey's life?
3. What repetition has taken place in each story so far? Why?
4. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
5. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
6. How does the main character feel about cats? Why?
7. How is the dog park important?
8. What are the parallels between Ethan and Jakob?
9. How does Ellie's life compare to Bailey's?
10. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Todd is an antagonist in the story.
Part 1) Describe Todd. How does he develop over the course of the story? What assumptions are made about what has led him to act the way he does? Is there anything that could have been done to change him? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 2) How does Todd's attitude and behavior affect those around him? What is his purpose in the story? What other characters throughout the book are similar to Todd? How are they similar?
Part 3) How do antagonists in your own life influence and affect you? How do you deal with them? What can be learned from your experiences with them?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character feels empathy for others.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the story? How is this a theme? To what themes is this one connected? How is it connected?
Part 2) How can people learn from this ability to sense the emotions of others and feel empathy for them? How can we be more empathetic towards others?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be empathetic? Why or why not? How can you be more empathetic to others?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)