|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ethan happy at this point in the chapter?
2. What is one of the main themes in this section?
3. What is the name of the toy Ethan creates that is a cross between a frisbee, a boomerang, and a baseball?
4. This dog is a mutt with three siblings and a __________ mother.
5. What was the only thing that gives his life purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the relationships of these main characters? Why?
2. Why does Todd do all the bad things that he does?
3. What does Todd do in this section? Why?
4. How has Ethan and Hannah's relationship changed? Why?
5. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
6. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
7. How does Ethan beat Todd? How might Todd feel about this? Why?
8. What might Ethan mean by Doodle Dog?
9. What do you believe was happening to Toby in the man's truck? Why?
10. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme later in the book is one of lost dreams and shattered hopes.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed in the book? How is this theme important? What is the purpose of this theme? How does it compare to other themes in this book?
Part 2) What role does this theme play in the various lives the main character lives? How is this theme connected to the dog's purpose and the title of the book?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to this theme? How can the reader learn from the main character's attitude regarding this loss and sadness?
Essay Topic 2
The dog has a very important purpose throughout his many lives.
Part 1) What is this purpose? How is this purpose revealed in each life? How does he come to realize his purpose? How does he feel about this purpose? Why does he feel this way?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this purpose? What are purposes that humans can have? How do these compare to this dog's purpose?
Part 3) What do you believe is your purpose in life? How can you fulfill this purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Repetition of various elements is used in this story.
Part 1) What elements are repeated? Why are they repeated? How does the dog react to this repetition? How is the reader affected by this repetition?
Part 2) Is this repetition effective? Why or why not? What other literary devices are used in this book? Why are they used?
Part 3) What repetitive actions exist in humans lives? What actions do all or most humans have in common? What do these actions reveal about humans?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)