|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This dog's siblings' names are Fast, Sister, and ______________.
2. With whom does the main character make friends?
3. When do Mom and Ethan take Bailey to the farm?
4. Why can the main character not find a home?
5. Where are the dogs put?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Bailey's sense of smell come in handy in the future?
2. Who is Spike? How does he affect the dog pack?
3. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
4. Describe Todd. What might be wrong with him?
5. What might Jakob's behavior foreshadow?
6. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
7. What does Todd do in this section? Why?
8. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
9. How has life changed for this family after Todd's setting fire to their house?
10. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe for instances when foreshadowing occurs. Why does it occur? What is foreshadowed? Why does the author choose to use foreshadowing in these instances?
Part 2) What other literary devices are used by the author? Does the use of literary devices enhance the book? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How else does the author make the book more engaging? Is there anything else the author could have done to improve this book? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character feels primal rage towards several characters in this book.
Part 1) For whom does the main character feel this strong rage? How does this rage influence how the dog acts? What are the consequences of the dog's actions? What can be learned from this?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this rage? Should humans react more like this dog to feelings of rage? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you felt feelings of rage? How did you deal with these feelings? What have you learned from these feelings and the situation that led to this rage?
This section contains 2,484 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)