Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the toy Ethan creates that is a cross between a frisbee, a boomerang, and a baseball?
2. What does Bailey see Todd doing?
3. How does Bailey feel about this toy?
4. What happens to the main character when he gets into a fight?
5. What does Bailey smell when he returns to the house after exploring one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dog park important?
2. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
3. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
4. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
5. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
6. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
7. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
8. How does Bailey/Toby feel about other animals? Why?
9. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
10. How is Todd still a problem? Is this problem lessening? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
The dog's sense of smell is very important in this book.
Part 1) In what ways is sense of smell important? How does it affect the story? How does it prepare the reader for what is to come?
Part 2) What other dog abilities are shown in this book? Why are these abilities shown? What can humans learn from the abilities of dogs?
Part 3) What abilities do humans have? How do we benefit from these abilities? How do others benefit from our abilities? What connections can be made between what the dog is capable of and what human are capable of doing?
Essay Topic 2
Todd is an antagonist in the story.
Part 1) Describe Todd. How does he develop over the course of the story? What assumptions are made about what has led him to act the way he does? Is there anything that could have been done to change him? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 2) How does Todd's attitude and behavior affect those around him? What is his purpose in the story? What other characters throughout the book are similar to Todd? How are they similar?
Part 3) How do antagonists in your own life influence and affect you? How do you deal with them? What can be learned from your experiences with them?
Essay Topic 3
The main character feels empathy for others.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the story? How is this a theme? To what themes is this one connected? How is it connected?
Part 2) How can people learn from this ability to sense the emotions of others and feel empathy for them? How can we be more empathetic towards others?
Part 3) Would you consider yourself to be empathetic? Why or why not? How can you be more empathetic to others?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)