|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey sense from Todd as he watches Ethan and Hannah?
2. How do Ethan and Hannah behave around each other?
3. One of the main character's favorite things is to learn new tricks like "Sit" or "________________".
4. Why does Ethan get a gun out of the gun cabinet and check all the rooms?
5. Who dies early in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Toby unadoptable? Do you agree? Why or why not?
2. What might Todd's behavior foreshadow?
3. How does Bailey/Toby feel about other animals? Why?
4. Who is Senora? Is she kind? Why or why not?
5. How does Ethan beat Todd? How might Todd feel about this? Why?
6. How has life changed for this family after Todd's setting fire to their house?
7. Who is Spike? How does he affect the dog pack?
8. What do you believe has happened to Marshmallow? Support your response with evidence from this section.
9. How is the end of this life like the last? Why?
10. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A mother's love is a universal theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a universal theme? How is this theme revealed in this book? How is repetition used in conjunction with this theme? What purpose does this serve?
Part 2) What is another universal theme found in this book? How are universal themes important in this book? How do these universal themes affect the reader?
Part 3) How are these themes tied to the main character's purpose in this book? How are they also tied to the purpose of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Todd is an antagonist in the story.
Part 1) Describe Todd. How does he develop over the course of the story? What assumptions are made about what has led him to act the way he does? Is there anything that could have been done to change him? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 2) How does Todd's attitude and behavior affect those around him? What is his purpose in the story? What other characters throughout the book are similar to Todd? How are they similar?
Part 3) How do antagonists in your own life influence and affect you? How do you deal with them? What can be learned from your experiences with them?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)