|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ethan tell Bailey after Flare runs off?
2. It grows cold and __________ games resume.
3. Chelsea has a long-haired brown and white dog named __________________.
4. This dog's siblings' names are Fast, Sister, and ______________.
5. How do Bailey and Marshmallow react when Todd comes around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you believe has happened to Marshmallow? Support your response with evidence from this section.
2. How do Marshmallow and Coco compare?
3. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
4. How is Bailey affected by all these changes? Is this typical for a dog? Why or why not?
5. How is the end of this life like the last? Why?
6. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
7. Who is Senora? Is she kind? Why or why not?
8. What does Todd do in this section? Why?
9. What might Ethan mean by Doodle Dog?
10. How has Toby changed physically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Cats are symbolic in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cats in this story. Why might they be this way? How do they affect Bailey and other dogs?
Part 2) How are cats symbolic? How does the repetition of encounters with cats reveal this symbolism?
Part 3) What other symbolism exists in this story? How does this affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
An important theme later in the book is one of lost dreams and shattered hopes.
Part 1) How is this theme revealed in the book? How is this theme important? What is the purpose of this theme? How does it compare to other themes in this book?
Part 2) What role does this theme play in the various lives the main character lives? How is this theme connected to the dog's purpose and the title of the book?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to this theme? How can the reader learn from the main character's attitude regarding this loss and sadness?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)