|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bailey feel this way about the toy?
2. With whom does the main character make friends?
3. At Christmas Chelsea gets a new puppy named _______________.
4. What was the only thing that gives his life purpose?
5. Todd takes the main character to his room, locks the door, and tries to get him to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Todd do in this section? Why?
2. How does Bailey/Toby feel about other animals? Why?
3. How has life changed for this family after Todd's setting fire to their house?
4. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
5. What is the reason Bailey does not like the flip? What does this say about him?
6. How does Ethan beat Todd? How might Todd feel about this? Why?
7. How is Toby's death foreshadowed?
8. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
9. How might Bailey's sense of smell come in handy in the future?
10. Why does Todd do all the bad things that he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used frequently throughout this book.
Part 1) Describe for instances when foreshadowing occurs. Why does it occur? What is foreshadowed? Why does the author choose to use foreshadowing in these instances?
Part 2) What other literary devices are used by the author? Does the use of literary devices enhance the book? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How else does the author make the book more engaging? Is there anything else the author could have done to improve this book? If so, what? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cats are symbolic in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cats in this story. Why might they be this way? How do they affect Bailey and other dogs?
Part 2) How are cats symbolic? How does the repetition of encounters with cats reveal this symbolism?
Part 3) What other symbolism exists in this story? How does this affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
An important theme in this book supports the belief that dog is man's best friend.
Part 1) How is this theme supported in this book? How is this an important theme? Why might this be an important theme?
Part 2) Which do you believe is more accurate, that dog is man's best friend or that man is dog's best friend? Why? Does this book support your belief? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How have dogs been important to the development of human society? What other animals have also played pivotal roles in the building of our world today?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)