|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the toy Ethan creates that is a cross between a frisbee, a boomerang, and a baseball?
2. What does Bailey see Todd doing?
3. How does Bailey feel about this toy?
4. What happens to the main character when he gets into a fight?
5. What does Bailey smell when he returns to the house after exploring one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dog park important?
2. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
3. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
4. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
5. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
6. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
7. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
8. How does Bailey/Toby feel about other animals? Why?
9. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
10. How is Todd still a problem? Is this problem lessening? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Cats are symbolic in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cats in this story. Why might they be this way? How do they affect Bailey and other dogs?
Part 2) How are cats symbolic? How does the repetition of encounters with cats reveal this symbolism?
Part 3) What other symbolism exists in this story? How does this affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
The main character feels primal rage towards several characters in this book.
Part 1) For whom does the main character feel this strong rage? How does this rage influence how the dog acts? What are the consequences of the dog's actions? What can be learned from this?
Part 2) How can humans relate to this rage? Should humans react more like this dog to feelings of rage? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you felt feelings of rage? How did you deal with these feelings? What have you learned from these feelings and the situation that led to this rage?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
This section contains 2,467 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)