|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bailey's ability to smell Todd in various situations in this story is an example of ___________.
2. What does Chelsea tell the dog?
3. The family goes to the country to visit ___________________ on a farm.
4. This dog's siblings' names are Fast, Sister, and ______________.
5. How is Ethan found?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dog save Ethan again in this section?
2. What happens to the relationships of these main characters? Why?
3. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
4. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
5. How is this life exciting? Is it a better life? Why or why not?
6. What repetition continues through this section? Why?
7. How do Marshmallow and Coco compare?
8. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
9. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
10. Who is Spike? How does he affect the dog pack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A mother's love is a universal theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a universal theme? How is this theme revealed in this book? How is repetition used in conjunction with this theme? What purpose does this serve?
Part 2) What is another universal theme found in this book? How are universal themes important in this book? How do these universal themes affect the reader?
Part 3) How are these themes tied to the main character's purpose in this book? How are they also tied to the purpose of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
The dog's sense of smell is very important in this book.
Part 1) In what ways is sense of smell important? How does it affect the story? How does it prepare the reader for what is to come?
Part 2) What other dog abilities are shown in this book? Why are these abilities shown? What can humans learn from the abilities of dogs?
Part 3) What abilities do humans have? How do we benefit from these abilities? How do others benefit from our abilities? What connections can be made between what the dog is capable of and what human are capable of doing?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has several owners throughout this story.
Part 1) Describe his various owners. How do these owners compare to each other? How do the feelings and actions of these owners affect the main character?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to the dog's various situations, due to his owners? How do those around us influence us?
Part 3) What can be learned from the main character regarding his owners? How can we apply this to our relationships with our parents, bosses, and other superiors?
This section contains 2,443 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)