|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toby wakes up still remembering Spike's fury, but then what does he realize?
2. What is one of the main themes in this section?
3. Mother tries to teach them to ____________ humans.
4. Does Marshmallow come home?
5. Describe Ethan's injury.
Short Essay Questions
1. How has life changed for this family after Todd's setting fire to their house?
2. Describe Toby's first memories of life. How do these compare to your own?
3. Who is Senora? Is she kind? Why or why not?
4. How does Bailey save the family? What most likely happened to Todd? How is this good and bad?
5. Why is Toby unadoptable? Do you agree? Why or why not?
6. Who is Spike? How does he affect the dog pack?
7. What do you believe was happening to Toby in the man's truck? Why?
8. Why does Todd do all the bad things that he does?
9. What might Ethan mean by Doodle Dog?
10. What does Todd do in this section? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
Essay Topic 2
The dog's sense of smell is very important in this book.
Part 1) In what ways is sense of smell important? How does it affect the story? How does it prepare the reader for what is to come?
Part 2) What other dog abilities are shown in this book? Why are these abilities shown? What can humans learn from the abilities of dogs?
Part 3) What abilities do humans have? How do we benefit from these abilities? How do others benefit from our abilities? What connections can be made between what the dog is capable of and what human are capable of doing?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is spayed/neutered and euthanized in each story.
Part 1) Why is the dog spayed or neutered? How does this seem to affect him? Why is he affected in this way? Why at the end of each life, is the dog euthanized?
Part 2) Do you see these two actions as humane? Why or why not? Should this have been done to the main character? Why or why not? Do you think he minded these things being done to him? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe animals should be sterilized and/or euthanized? Why or why not? Are these also acceptable things to do to to humans? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)