|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main character gets to know ____________, the horse, the ducks down at the pond, a black cat in the barn, and his first skunk!
2. How do Bailey and Marshmallow react when Todd comes around?
3. How does Ethan escape the house?
4. One day he hears Chelsea frantically doing what?
5. How does the main character's mother feel about humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, at this point, are Jakob and Ethan alike?
2. Describe Toby's first memories of life. How do these compare to your own?
3. Why does Ethan change his mind and choose to adopt the dog?
4. How have the dog and Ethan traded roles at the end of this book?
5. Describe Bear's owners. How do they compare to owners in previous lives?
6. How is Bailey affected by all these changes? Is this typical for a dog? Why or why not?
7. Why is Toby unadoptable? Do you agree? Why or why not?
8. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
9. How is the end of this life like the last? Why?
10. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
Essay Topic 1
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Todd is an antagonist in the story.
Part 1) Describe Todd. How does he develop over the course of the story? What assumptions are made about what has led him to act the way he does? Is there anything that could have been done to change him? If so, what? If not, why not?
Part 2) How does Todd's attitude and behavior affect those around him? What is his purpose in the story? What other characters throughout the book are similar to Todd? How are they similar?
Part 3) How do antagonists in your own life influence and affect you? How do you deal with them? What can be learned from your experiences with them?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)