|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey see Todd doing?
2. How does Bailey know who did this to Ethan's house?
3. Ethan beats Todd in what competition?
4. Where do the dog and his family live?
5. What is a joy of being a dog, as revealed in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Senora? Is she kind? Why or why not?
2. How has Ethan and Hannah's relationship changed? Why?
3. What do you believe was happening to Toby in the man's truck? Why?
4. Why might the family not go to the farm? How does this represent a change in their lives?
5. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
6. How does the start of this section compare to the previous one?
7. How is Todd still a problem? Is this problem lessening? Why or why not?
8. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
9. How is Bailey affected by all these changes? Is this typical for a dog? Why or why not?
10. What happens to the relationships of these main characters? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dog's sense of smell is very important in this book.
Part 1) In what ways is sense of smell important? How does it affect the story? How does it prepare the reader for what is to come?
Part 2) What other dog abilities are shown in this book? Why are these abilities shown? What can humans learn from the abilities of dogs?
Part 3) What abilities do humans have? How do we benefit from these abilities? How do others benefit from our abilities? What connections can be made between what the dog is capable of and what human are capable of doing?
Essay Topic 2
The main character is a dog that goes through four reincarnations.
Part 1) What is reincarnation? Why might this dog go through reincarnation? How does he change with every reincarnation? What leads to this change?
Part 2) Do you believe that the last life in this story is his final life? Why or why not? How is this last life different from the others? What has he learned from these lives?
Part 3) How is reincarnation a part of many human cultural beliefs? How are these beliefs illustrated through the life of this dog? Why might people believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in reincarnation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The main character has several owners throughout this story.
Part 1) Describe his various owners. How do these owners compare to each other? How do the feelings and actions of these owners affect the main character?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to the dog's various situations, due to his owners? How do those around us influence us?
Part 3) What can be learned from the main character regarding his owners? How can we apply this to our relationships with our parents, bosses, and other superiors?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)