|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the main character have to wear a white collar?
2. When do Mom and Ethan take Bailey to the farm?
3. With whom does the main character make friends?
4. He compares the man who feeds him to _____________ in his last lifetime.
5. Mother tries to teach them to ____________ humans.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Toby and Ethan react when they see each other? Why?
2. How is Toby's death foreshadowed?
3. Who is Spike? How does he affect the dog pack?
4. How do Bailey and Ethan bond in this section?
5. How does Bailey save the family? What most likely happened to Todd? How is this good and bad?
6. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
7. What do you believe was happening to Toby in the man's truck? Why?
8. What do you believe has happened to Marshmallow? Support your response with evidence from this section.
9. What might Ethan mean by Doodle Dog?
10. How has life changed for this family after Todd's setting fire to their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important theme in this book supports the belief that dog is man's best friend.
Part 1) How is this theme supported in this book? How is this an important theme? Why might this be an important theme?
Part 2) Which do you believe is more accurate, that dog is man's best friend or that man is dog's best friend? Why? Does this book support your belief? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How have dogs been important to the development of human society? What other animals have also played pivotal roles in the building of our world today?
Essay Topic 2
The main character uses his knowledge from previous lives to guide him in new lives.
Part 1) What knowledge does the dog remember from one life to the next? How does he benefit from this knowledge? What is the purpose of his knowing about each of his lives?
Part 2) How can the reader relate to these multiple lives and the lessons and skills learned in each? How can the reader apply this in his or her one life?
Part 3) What knowledge do you have now that you would want to take with you to another life? How is this knowledge important? How could you benefit from it in another life?
Essay Topic 3
Making others happy is a theme in this book.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Why is this a theme? How can the reader relate to this theme? How does this theme affect the main character throughout the story?
Part 2) Is the main character changed for the better because he desires to make others happy? Why or why not? When does his desire to make others happy become detrimental to him? How can humans relate to this?
Part 3) Should people try to make others happy? Why or why not? How does this book support your response?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)