Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the toy Ethan creates that is a cross between a frisbee, a boomerang, and a baseball?
2. What does Bailey see Todd doing?
3. How does Bailey feel about this toy?
4. What happens to the main character when he gets into a fight?
5. What does Bailey smell when he returns to the house after exploring one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dog park important?
2. How does Bear feel when Derek sets him free? Why does he feel this way?
3. How does Toby defend Sister? What does this reveal about him?
4. How does Bear's luck turn around in this section?
5. How is Bear's sense of smell important in this section?
6. What are Toby's siblings names? How might they have come about these names?
7. How does Ellie feel about this new life? Why?
8. How does Bailey/Toby feel about other animals? Why?
9. How is Ellie affected by the relationship between Maya and Al?
10. How is Todd still a problem? Is this problem lessening? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
The main character has an affinity for humans.
Part 1) How is this revealed throughout the book? How do his feelings for humans compare to those of other animals? Why does he have this attachment to humans? How does this attachment affect him?
Part 2) Why might the author choose to have this main character like humans? How does this affect the story and the connection the reader has with the characters in the book?
Part 3) Overall, what are your own feelings regarding people? Do you relate more to the main character in the book or to another character in the book, regarding the security of human relationships with others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The main character believes that dogs are superior to other animals.
Part 1) How is this seen in this book? Why might the main character feel this way? How does this affect his relationships with other animals? Does this superiority also apply to humans? Why or why not?
Part 2) Does this superiority reflect a real dog's behavior towards other animals? If so, how? If not, why not? Do you believe that dogs are superior to other animals? If so, why? If not, what animal would you consider to be superior? Why?
Part 3) Do you see humans as superior to all other creatures? Why or why not? How has this attitude of superiority influenced human behavior throughout time? How does it still affect our world today?
Essay Topic 3
The main character is joyful to be a dog.
Part 1) Why is the dog joyful? How is this seen through his thoughts and actions?
Part 2) How else does the dog feel in this story? Why does he feel this way? How does this compare to those around him?
Part 3) How can the reader relate to the main character's feelings? How is personification used regarding the dog's emotions?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)