|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Philip de Artevelde offer allegiance after he assumed the Regent?
2. What does Leopold suggest that people do, in towns threatened by Enguerrand?
3. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
4. Why was Louis II's marriage to Bernabo Visconti's daughter annulled?
5. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Charles almost killed during his pilgrimage of thanks?
2. What is Enguerrand VI's reign like for the peasants?
3. Describe Roman Emperor Charles IV's visit to Paris.
4. Describe Catherine of Siena's personality and her influence on the Pope.
5. How does Charles try to win the good will of his people?
6. What happens when Charles goes mad?
7. Describe Enguerrand's actions against Charles of Navarre.
8. Who is Philip van Artevelde and what is his role?
9. How is the Black Death handled when it returns in 1373-74?
10. Why do the English commoners revolt, and how does Richard II quell their rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the national discussion about taxes today similar to or different than the discussions Frenchmen and Englishmen were having about taxes in the fourteenth century? How were taxes different then, and how did the societies respond to taxation?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of women in 14th-century France? Analyze the role of women in French and English culture.
Essay Topic 3
Tuchman describes a number of ways that societies in the fourteenth century disposed of superfluous people, in wars, in plagues, in the Inquisition. Analyze these squanderings, and describe the value society placed on human life in the fourteenth century. Why couldn't society find uses for these "extras"? Why were warfare and the Inquisition the best ways to dispose of them? Did anyone try to put the masses to better uses? What was the state of technology, that there were so many extra people? What was the state of agricultural production, to feed so many people?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)