|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Enguerrand resolve his conflicting obligations?
2. Whom did the Genoese as for the French to fight with them?
3. What did Anjou ask for before his death?
4. Why were the French reluctant to commit troops as the Genoese wanted?
5. When did England and France have a one-year peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Roman Empire fell?
2. Describe Enguerrand's actions against Charles of Navarre.
3. Describe Roman Emperor Charles IV's visit to Paris.
4. How does Charles try to win the good will of his people?
5. How is Charles almost killed during his pilgrimage of thanks?
6. What is Enguerrand VI's reign like for the peasants?
7. What difficulties is France experiencing at the time of King Charles's death?
8. What luxuries do the nobility indulge in?
9. Describe the problem of brigands in the French countryside.
10. Describe Buckingham's expedition to France shortly before the French king's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
American government officials used the word "crusade" to describe the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Compare and contrast these wars with the "crusades" launched against the Berbers in Tunis and the Turks in Hungary. How were they similar? How were they different?
Essay Topic 2
Kings often times had difficulty raising money to pay for their armies. Analyze the strategies kings used--taxation, devaluation, conquest, pillage--to describe the finances of warfare in the fourteenth century.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect Enguerrand's death had on the Coucy estate. How did he leave it? Had he improved it? Had it fallen apart? How had Enguerrand prepared his successor? Did those who assumed responsibility for the estate reflect his same values?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)