|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
2. What did Anjou ask for before his death?
3. Who convinced Gregory XI to hire mercenaries against the Italians?
4. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
5. What caused the bourgeoisie to come to a peaceful settlement in regard to the King's tax policy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Buckingham's expedition to France shortly before the French king's death.
2. Describe Catherine of Siena's personality and her influence on the Pope.
3. What conflicts take place in Italy after Robert's reign?
4. What happens when Charles goes mad?
5. How is the Black Death handled when it returns in 1373-74?
6. Describe Roman Emperor Charles IV's visit to Paris.
7. Describe Enguerrand's campaign in Alsace.
8. What bad news do the English get during their one-year truce with France?
9. What is Enguerrand VI's reign like for the peasants?
10. What are marriages typically like in 14th-century France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the national discussion about taxes today similar to or different than the discussions Frenchmen and Englishmen were having about taxes in the fourteenth century? How were taxes different then, and how did the societies respond to taxation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role corruption played in the church and in the government in the fourteenth century. How did the nobles or clergy get away with being so corrupt? What factors allowed the corruption to persist for so long? Use your answer to characterize fourteenth century society.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Enguerrand's life a representative life for the times? In what ways was it not? Who else's life might have been more representative of the times?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)