|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Sir John Hawkwood?
2. Enguerrand was named as a second in a force that joined Genoa against what country?
3. Whom did Enguerrand marry in 1365?
4. What did King Edward's daughter decide on her way to her wedding?
5. Who began to mint his own money upon news that the King of France was heading to Rome to make peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What luxuries do the nobility indulge in?
2. What are marriages typically like in 14th-century France?
3. What happened when the Roman Empire fell?
4. Describe Roman Emperor Charles IV's visit to Paris.
5. What are conditions like in England in 1376?
6. Describe Buckingham's expedition to France shortly before the French king's death.
7. What bad news do the English get during their one-year truce with France?
8. How does Charles try to win the good will of his people?
9. What happens when Charles goes mad?
10. Describe the beginnings of the Inquisition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How mobile were people in the fourteenth century? Enguerrand fought wars from England to Tunis, but how many people enjoyed this degree of mobility? Is the idea of a small town local life in the fourteenth century a myth, or was it the reality for a large portion of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role corruption played in the church and in the government in the fourteenth century. How did the nobles or clergy get away with being so corrupt? What factors allowed the corruption to persist for so long? Use your answer to characterize fourteenth century society.
Essay Topic 3
How were Jews treated in 14th-century France? Analyze the role of the Jews in European culture.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)