|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leopold suggest that people do, in towns threatened by Enguerrand?
(a) Stay in their homes.
(b) Take their possessions and retreat.
(c) Arm themselves against the invaders and fight in the streets.
(d) Turn their churches into forts.
2. Charles of Navarre is arrested under suspicion of what?
(a) Murdering his brother-in-law.
(b) Plotting to murder his wife's father.
(c) Plotting to overthrow the king.
(d) Plotting to poison the king.
3. How long after his visit to France did Charles IV die?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Ten months.
4. What happened to Urban VI after he assumed the Papacy?
(a) He initiated an age of peace and exploration.
(b) He sought to unify the cardinals and archbishops.
(c) His power went to his head.
(d) He brokered peace between England and France.
5. Which answer best describes Wenceslas IV?
(a) A scholar who advocated for persecution of demons.
(b) An alcoholic who was destroyed by constant warring.
(c) A soldier who maintained his neutrality.
(d) A virtuous man who was successful in bringing peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Philip van Artevelde order in Ghent when there were revolts?
2. Who was appointed Captain-General of the pope's forces in 1371?
3. How did the Genoese present their request for French military assistance?
4. What territory did the King of England send Enguerrand to conquer?
5. What threat confronted people in the countryside of Europe in the 1360s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine of Siena's personality and her influence on the Pope.
2. What bad news do the English get during their one-year truce with France?
3. How does Charles try to win the good will of his people?
4. Why do the English commoners revolt, and how does Richard II quell their rebellion?
5. Describe the Genoese expedition to Tunis.
6. Describe the problem of brigands in the French countryside.
7. How is Charles almost killed during his pilgrimage of thanks?
8. Describe Roman Emperor Charles IV's visit to Paris.
9. Describe Buckingham's expedition to France shortly before the French king's death.
10. Describe Enguerrand's actions against Charles of Navarre.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)