|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rousseau believe created physics?
2. What can only be brought about by ignorance given its results according to Rousseau?
3. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
4. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
5. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Rousseau believes it is difficult to discuss the effects that the arts and sciences have on society.
2. Describe what the interest of the chief of state should be for his individuals according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy".
3. In "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix" what illustration does Rousseau give to compare the modern man to the savage?
4. What are the effects of idleness on humanity, according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
5. Explain why Rousseau feels ignorance has been praised.
6. According to "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" how does slavery make man civilized?
7. What were man's two first feelings according to Rousseau?
8. How did the arts and sciences directly effect France, according to Rousseau?
9. Explain what "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II" suggests cheapens virtue.
10. Explain how the revival of the arts and sciences affected society according to Rousseau in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the overall intention for Jean-Jacques Rousseau's writing "A Discourse on Inequality" and what he desired to accomplish from this work.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rousseau believe that Socrates praised ignorance? Use this information provided in your reading, as well as your knowledge of history to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain how morality's corruption does or does not destroy taste, according to Rousseau.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)