|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people seek that do not exist, according to Rousseau at the end of Chapter 2, "A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
2. Who is Rousseau saddened by in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
3. What does Rousseau believe is an artist's greatest compensation for his labor?
4. Why does Rousseau think men lie under restraint?
5. What does Rousseau argue about the discovery of the nature man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Rousseau feels ignorance has been praised.
2. According to Rousseau, how does science negatively affect the human population?
3. Explain how the revival of the arts and sciences affected society according to Rousseau in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I".
4. What were man's two first feelings according to Rousseau?
5. How does Rousseau feel about his fellow citizens according to "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
6. Describe how Rousseau views the impact the size of a society has on determining an individual's motives.
7. What does Rousseay describe the "social man"as?
8. According to Rousseau, how is it a paradox that the government makes man both free and subjects?
9. Discuss what "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two" says about despotism role in inequality.
10. Describe how the arts and sciences have helped to repress our wickedness, according to Rousseau.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of arts and sciences are meant to give freedom to men, but slavery was often a result from that knowledge. How do arts and sciences stifle man's liberty and cause them to love their slavery?
Essay Topic 2
According to Rousseau, analyze and describe where inequality originates and why it evolves to where it is in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what an artist's compensation is and how this compensation leads to the artist's dissolution of virtue, according to Rousseau's belief.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)