|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau say the size of the state should be in order to propose laws freely?
2. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
3. According to Rousseau, what ancient thinker praised ignorance?
4. What does Rousseau reflect on at the beginning of "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
5. Which other civilizations were NOT mentioned by Rousseau as being impacted by the progress of art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Rousseau's opinion on taxation.
2. Describe what the interest of the chief of state should be for his individuals according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy".
3. Where does Rousseau believe many civilizations believe science arose from according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
4. Discuss what the results of growth of words had on society, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One".
5. What does Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II" think an artist's greatest compensation is?
6. How does economic inequality evolve according to "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two"?
7. Describe how Rousseau feels about luxury?
8. Describe how the arts and sciences have helped to repress our wickedness, according to Rousseau.
9. What is the general will composed of, according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy"?
10. Explain how Rousseau feels about knowledge as described in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what an artist's compensation is and how this compensation leads to the artist's dissolution of virtue, according to Rousseau's belief.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jean-Jacques Rousseau's ideal and preferred type of government to the one that actually exists and how his ideas are ambitious.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the transition away from Europe's barbarism was detrimental to society, according to Rousseau.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)