|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau say arts require?
2. What does inequality cheapen according to Rousseau?
3. How did older centuries think of natural law, according to Rousseau?
4. What does Rousseau argue about the discovery of the nature man?
5. According to Rousseau, in the revival, the arts and sciences existed under what entities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Rousseau feels about luxury?
2. Describe the type of land Rousseau states he prefers to live in in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface".
3. Discuss Rousseau's opinion on taxation.
4. In "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two" what do men slowly realize they differ in and how is that important?
5. What is the general will composed of, according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy"?
6. What were man's two first feelings according to Rousseau?
7. How did the arts and sciences directly effect France, according to Rousseau?
8. How did the introduction of art affect men according to Rousseau in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I"?
9. What does Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II" think an artist's greatest compensation is?
10. Explain why Rousseau feels ignorance has been praised.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Rousseau's definition of the savage man to the modern man.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast natural law to laws that operated in modern and older centuries.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what an artist's compensation is and how this compensation leads to the artist's dissolution of virtue, according to Rousseau's belief.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)