|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
2. What good definition is hard to find, according to Rousseau?
(a) Human greed.
(b) Natural greed.
(c) Human law.
(d) Natural law.
3. Who did Rousseau praise for his ignorance in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part 1"?
(c) Issac Newton.
4. How do modern centuries see natural law?
(a) Understood rules.
(c) Rules given to men, given to themselves.
(d) Accepted societal behavior.
5. What type of state is Rousseau interested in having?
(a) One that is interested by conquest.
(b) One that is poor.
(c) One that is uninterested by conquest.
(d) One that is powerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rousseau argue about the discovery of the nature man?
2. Which was NOT a result in France from leaving behind ignorance?
3. What does inequality cheapen according to Rousseau?
4. How does Rousseau want to live and die?
5. What must Rousseau first figure out before writing "A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general will composed of, according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy"?
2. How does economic inequality evolve according to "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two"?
3. How does Rousseau feel everyone could reach happiness according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy"?
4. How should people with great talent behave, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
5. Describe how the arts and sciences have helped to repress our wickedness, according to Rousseau.
6. Describe what the interest of the chief of state should be for his individuals according to "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy".
7. Describe the two types of inequality Rousseau sees in humans according to "Chapter 4, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part One".
8. Explain how the revival of the arts and sciences affected society according to Rousseau in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I".
9. Describe how Rousseau views the impact the size of a society has on determining an individual's motives.
10. In "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix" what happens as a result of luxury?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)