|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main task of Rousseau's, "The Discourse on the Origin of Inequality"?
(a) To discover the origin of inequality.
(b) To compare and contrast equality vs inequality.
(c) To discuss the history of inequality.
(d) To discover origins.
2. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(b) Moral corruption.
3. What does Rousseau believe happens with the more a human knows?
(a) More time for mischief.
(b) More time to want greed.
(c) More time to discuss topics.
(d) Less time for mischief.
4. Which was NOT a result in France from leaving behind ignorance?
(d) Increased slavery.
5. What would history be empty without, according Rousseau?
(c) Without greed and power.
(d) Without tyrants or wars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can only be brought about by ignorance given its results according to Rousseau?
2. How did Rousseau feel men treated morality before art?
3. Who does Rousseau thank at the beginning of "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
4. What does Rousseau understand about the idleness in children?
5. What does Rousseau say wise men do not chase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what amore-propre is, according to Rousseau.
2. What is the main task of "A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality"?
3. Describe where patriotism must come from as discussed in "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy".
4. How does economic inequality evolve according to "Chapter 5, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Part Two"?
5. According to "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part I" how does slavery make man civilized?
6. According to Rousseau, how does science negatively affect the human population?
7. Explain why Rousseau believes it is difficult to discuss the effects that the arts and sciences have on society.
8. According to Rousseau in "Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy" how do Political Societies operate?
9. What does Rousseau feel humans are called to, according "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix"?
10. In "Chapter 6, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Appendix" what happens as a result of luxury?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)