|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, A Discourse on Political Economy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Rousseau praise for his ignorance in "Chapter 1, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part 1"?
(a) Issac Newton.
2. What does Rousseau want all individuals to have love for?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their country.
(c) Their history.
3. What should society teach men to do instead of pursuing virtue, according to Rousseau?
(a) Their role.
(b) Their duty.
(c) To be humble.
(d) To love.
4. What type of state is Rousseau interested in having?
(a) One that is powerful.
(b) One that is interested by conquest.
(c) One that is uninterested by conquest.
(d) One that is poor.
5. Where does political authority ultimately derive from, according to Rousseau?
(a) The will of the priests.
(b) The will of all men.
(c) The will of one man.
(d) The will of each man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has added little to happiness in humans, according to Rousseau?
2. What do men have that can be combined, according to Rousseau?
3. What do humans owe many of their ideas to?
4. How many natural principles does Rousseau see in humanity at the end of "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
5. What has destroyed taste, according to the end of "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)