|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rousseau, which of the following did not arise as a result of leaving a state of ignorance?
2. What does luxury generate according to "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
(b) Social classes.
(c) Time wasted.
3. How did older centuries think of natural law, according to Rousseau?
(a) Beyond ethics.
(b) Beyond humanity.
(c) Beyond science.
(d) Beyond art.
4. What does Rousseau argue that men with talent should do?
(a) Live in exile.
(b) Show compassion.
(c) Reap glory and remain obscure.
(d) Be humble.
5. Human morals are not improved by what subject according to Rousseau?
(b) The arts.
(d) The sciences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is much disagreement made over, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 3, A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality, Dedication and Preface"?
2. What is true philosophy, according to Rousseau in "Chapter 2, A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Sciences, Part II"?
3. What was the state of France, according to Rousseau, as a result of the introduction of the arts and sciences?
4. What should society teach men to do instead of pursuing virtue, according to Rousseau?
5. What was the result of the arts and sciences becoming despotic, according to Rousseau?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)