|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman is missing, and the explanation is that she died during cold sleep when her container failed in Chapter Twenty-One?
2. Who laments the fate of the children, causing Victory to become enraged and telling him to take his "moral baggage" and leave her house in Chapter Thirty?
3. In Chapter Twenty-One, Qiwi goes to whose living area and discovers many in cold sleep who have been reported dead, including her mother?
4. What man assigned to oversee the focused linguists during the translation rushes back to face Thomas Nau, knowing that he's going to be blamed for not providing adequate oversight in Chapter Twenty-Four?
5. In Chapter Forty-One, Unnerby visits Sherkaner and learns that who has enlisted in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What beliefs drive the Spiders to reproduce in cycles?
2. Hare do the societal values of the Spiders relate to human society?
3. What does Victory Smith reveal about Pedure in Chapter Twenty-Five?
4. Who are "Captain Lisolet" and "The Man" from the book's Prologue? How are they explained in Chapter Forty-Three?
5. How does Victory Junior feel about the kidnapping after the children are rescued?
6. How does Ezr discover Pham Trilini's identity in Chapter Twenty-Six?
7. How does Unnerby break military rules in Chapter Twenty-Nine? Why?
8. How does Spider society respond to Sherkaner's family?
9. What children arrive at the Royal Museum in Chapters Twenty-Seven and Twenty-Eight?
10. What is Pham's reaction when Qiwi is attacked by Ezr in Chapter Twenty-Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Arachna and the On/Off Star. How long are periods of light and dark there? How does this affect Spider society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cycling of the Spider community and the themes of cultural identity and social values amongst the society. How are the Spiders relative to humankind?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the conflicts between the Qeng Ho and the Emergents in Chapter Twenty. What information does Pham give up regarding Qeng Ho technology?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)