|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-Eight, four children of Serkaner's arrive at what location?
2. Sherkaner's wife reveals that Pedure's church is called what in Chapter Twenty-Five?
3. Who is invited to see the focused in an effort to put a stop to his "silly" assertions about the focusing process in Chapter Twenty-Two?
4. What was the technology called which were used for many purposes, but Pham's initial contact with them included the owner's use of them to read Pham's organ functions and thought processes without his knowledge that it was happening?
5. In Chapter Thirty-Six, Ezr predicts the Spiders will detect the presence of the humans in less than how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pham's reaction when Qiwi is attacked by Ezr in Chapter Twenty-Five?
2. What is revealed by Qiwi and Pham Trilini in Chapter Twenty? How does Ezr respond?
3. Who does Qiwi meet for tea in Chapter Twenty-One? What is discussed?
4. How does Pham contact Ezr in Chapter Twenty-Six? What is Ezr's reaction to Pham?
5. How does Spider society respond to Sherkaner's family?
6. What beliefs drive the Spiders to reproduce in cycles?
7. How is Sherkaner different than the majority of Spider society?
8. How does Unnerby feel about Sherkaner's children in Chapter Forty-Three?
9. How does Victory feel about exposing her children to the public debate in Chapter Twenty-Four?
10. What does Victory Smith reveal about Pedure in Chapter Twenty-Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Pham Trilini in "A Deepness in the Sky". From what planet is Pham and how did he come to the Qeng Ho?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of exploitation and mind control in the narrative and describe the process of "focus." How was focus developed and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Arachna and the On/Off Star. How long are periods of light and dark there? How does this affect Spider society?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)