|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pham Nuwen has the idea to create a race of what in Chapter Seventeen?
2. What is the name of the sun that turns itself off periodically and produces extreme temperatures on the planet Arachna?
(c) The On/Off Star.
3. How old was Pham Nuwen when a group of traders arrived on his home planet?
4. In Chapter Nine, Thomas Nau points out the progress being made on an operation to mine what?
5. Who seems to be a Programmer-at-Arms of the Qeng Ho, and is seen as a bumbling old guy who has few responsibilities and little skill or talent in Chapter One?
(c) Ali Lin.
(d) Pham Trilini.
6. Emergent managers induce obsession with a single idea or specialty, which they call what in the novel?
7. What two youngsters pop up out of the fur on Sherkaner's back when Unnerby visits in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) Pedure and Trud.
(b) Kira and Luan.
(c) Brent and Ritsel.
(d) Rhapsa and Hrunkner.
8. Who is the head of the Emergents' expedition and is a man whose greed makes him oblivious to everything else?
(a) Thomas Nau.
(b) Victory Smith.
(c) Hrunkner Unnerby.
(d) Ann Reynolt.
9. In Chapter Sixteen, Ritsel briefs Thomas on specific issues and accuses Qiwi of what?
10. What is Sherkaner's last name?
11. In Chapter Seventeen, who created a club of sorts which, though not sanctioned by the Emergents, is allowed to exist and draws a great many visitors?
(a) Benny Wen.
(b) Sura Vinh.
(c) Jimmy Diem.
(d) Ali Lin.
12. In Chapter Three, Ezr's group finds what appears to be the remains of what structure in Arachna?
(a) A library.
(b) A computer factory.
(c) A bank.
(d) A prison.
13. What was the home planet of Pham Nuwen?
14. Who is the Qeng Ho leader in Chapter One?
(a) Ezr Vinh.
(b) Trixia Bronsol.
(c) Captain Park.
(d) Benny Wen.
15. In Chapter Ten, Ezr makes a show of demanding obedience to the Emergents' demands for Qeng Ho crewmembers to work doing what in preparation of the mining effort?
(a) Digging a tunnel.
(b) Stabilizing a rock pile.
(c) Crushing ore.
(d) Building machinery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the use of sustained nuclear fission to generate heat and do useful work?
2. From whom does Sherkaner rent a room for the night in Chapter Four?
3. In Chapter Sixteen, Ritsel says that he believes the mission can be accomplished sooner if they do what?
4. Ezr learns that the majority of senior crew members who were not killed in the attack are being held in what, in Chapter Nine?
5. Where is Sherkaner headed in Chapter Four?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)