|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
2. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
3. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
4. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
5. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
2. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
3. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
4. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
5. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
6. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
7. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
8. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
9. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
10. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the value of Lao and Mantze's arranged marriages. Explain the benefits and flaws they faced.
Essay Topic 2
What is typical about Lao and Mantze's relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Does Lao judge Mantze fairly? How?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)