|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
2. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
3. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
5. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
2. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
3. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
4. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
5. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
6. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
7. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
8. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
9. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
10. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the value of Lao and Mantze's arranged marriages. Explain the benefits and flaws they faced.
Essay Topic 2
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
Essay Topic 3
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)