|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
2. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
3. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
5. How did Lao feel about scolding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
2. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
3. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
4. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
5. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
6. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
7. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
8. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
9. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
10. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Lao's father struggle with employment throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is typical about Lao and Mantze's relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Lao continually stay with her husband, through his numerous problems?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)