|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
2. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
3. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
4. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
2. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
3. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
4. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
5. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
6. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
7. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
8. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
9. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
10. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most pivotal moment in Lao's life? Examine how this moment changes her next actions.
Essay Topic 2
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Does Lao judge Mantze fairly? How?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)