|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
2. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
3. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
4. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
5. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
2. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
3. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
4. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
5. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
6. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
7. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
8. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
9. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
10. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
Essay Topic 3
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)