|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
2. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
3. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
4. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
5. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
2. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
3. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
4. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
5. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
6. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
7. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
8. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
9. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
10. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who struggled the most with her husband, Lao or Mantze?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the value of Lao and Mantze's arranged marriages. Explain the benefits and flaws they faced.
Essay Topic 3
Which of Lao's children helped her the most? Why?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)