|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
2. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
3. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
4. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
5. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
2. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
3. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
4. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
5. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
6. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
7. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
8. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
9. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
10. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the female perspective of this story shape its message?
Essay Topic 2
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Lao break expectations society has for her?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)