|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
2. What describes Mantze's marriage?
3. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
2. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
3. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
4. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
5. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
6. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
7. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
8. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
9. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
10. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the female perspective of this story shape its message?
Essay Topic 2
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What was Lao's specific message in writing her story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)