|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
2. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
3. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
4. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
5. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
2. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
3. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
4. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
5. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
6. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
7. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
8. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
9. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
10. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Lao judge Mantze fairly? How?
Essay Topic 2
Find a symbol from Lao's story. Explain what it means.
Essay Topic 3
How did Lao's father struggle with employment throughout his life?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)