|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Mantze's marriage?
2. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
3. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
4. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
5. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
2. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
3. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
4. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
5. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
6. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
7. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
8. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
9. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
10. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most pivotal moment in Lao's life? Examine how this moment changes her next actions.
Essay Topic 2
How does the female perspective of this story shape its message?
Essay Topic 3
What was Lao's specific message in writing her story?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)