|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
2. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
3. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
4. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
2. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
3. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
4. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
5. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
6. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
7. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
8. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
9. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
10. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the female perspective of this story shape its message?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most pivotal moment in Lao's life? Examine how this moment changes her next actions.
Essay Topic 3
Find a symbol from Lao's story. Explain what it means.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)