|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
2. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
3. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
4. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
5. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
2. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
3. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
4. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
6. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
7. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
8. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
9. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
10. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Lao continually stay with her husband, through his numerous problems?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most pivotal moment in Lao's life? Examine how this moment changes her next actions.
Essay Topic 3
How does the female perspective of this story shape its message?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)