|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
2. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
3. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
4. Who was Mantze's midwife?
5. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
2. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
3. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
4. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
5. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
6. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
7. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
8. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
9. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
10. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Lao continually stay with her husband, through his numerous problems?
Essay Topic 2
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Lao follow customs, traditions and expectations society has for her?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)