|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
2. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
3. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
4. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
2. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
3. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
4. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
5. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
6. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
7. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
8. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
9. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
10. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Lao break expectations society has for her?
Essay Topic 2
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Find a symbol from Lao's story. Explain what it means.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)