|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mantze's midwife?
2. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
3. How did Lao feel about scolding?
4. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
5. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
2. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
3. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
4. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
5. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
6. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
7. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
8. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
9. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
10. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Lao follow customs, traditions and expectations society has for her?
Essay Topic 2
How did Lao's father struggle with employment throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Lao's writing style. Does she tell the story well, in a clear and understandable manner? Explain.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)