|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
2. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
3. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
4. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
2. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
3. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
4. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
5. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
6. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
7. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
8. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
9. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
10. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who struggled the most with her husband, Lao or Mantze?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
Essay Topic 3
Which of Lao's children helped her the most? Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)