|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Mantze's marriage?
2. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
3. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
4. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
5. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
2. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
3. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
5. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
6. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
7. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
8. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
9. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
10. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Lao fairly describe male figures in her life story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Lao's writing style. Does she tell the story well, in a clear and understandable manner? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who struggled the most with her husband, Lao or Mantze?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)