|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What describes Mantze's marriage?
2. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
3. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
4. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
5. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
2. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
3. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
4. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
5. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
6. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
7. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
8. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
9. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
10. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Lao fairly describe male figures in her life story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Lao continually stay with her husband, through his numerous problems?
Essay Topic 3
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)