|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
2. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
3. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
4. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
5. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
2. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
3. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
4. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
5. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
6. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
7. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
8. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
9. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
10. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Lao break expectations society has for her?
Essay Topic 3
Does Lao fairly describe male figures in her life story? Why?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)