|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
2. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
3. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
2. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
3. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
4. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
5. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
6. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
7. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
8. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
9. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
10. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of Lao's children helped her the most? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Does Lao fairly describe male figures in her life story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is typical about Lao and Mantze's relationship?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)