|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Lao's father have in a store?
2. What happened the first time Lao's feet were bound?
3. How many siblings did Lao's father have?
4. Why did neighbors criticize Lao's mother?
5. What do the traditions Lao carried out during the woman's dying days ensure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
2. How did the awful events of 1887-1888 change Lao?
3. Why would neighbors criticize Lao's mother?
4. What awful events did Lao endure during 1887-1888?
5. How did Lao's father's early life influence the rest of his life?
6. Why did Lao detail her bound feet?
7. What effect did Lao's running wild have on her future?
8. How did Lao's brother treat her?
9. What situation helped Lao as she moved to her husband's home?
10. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
Essay Topic 2
How did Lao break expectations society has for her?
Essay Topic 3
How did superstitions and beliefs play a role in the book?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)