|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao's husband become addicted to?
2. Where did Fats'ai hide while playing with Lao one day?
3. Who often fed Lao when there was nothing in her house to eat after Fats'ai's mother left?
4. What do the traditions Lao carried out during the woman's dying days ensure?
5. At 13, what did Lao's parents teach her?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lao's two daughters were born, what life choice did she make?
2. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
3. What happened to Yintze's marriage?
4. When did Chinese ladies get married?
5. Why did Lao tell several stories and legends?
6. What was Lao's husband like?
7. What awful events did Lao endure during 1887-1888?
8. How did the awful events of 1887-1888 change Lao?
9. How did Lao behave when she visited her parents?
10. Whom did Lao friend at her husband's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the value of Lao and Mantze's arranged marriages. Explain the benefits and flaws they faced.
Essay Topic 2
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)