|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the region of P'englai include?
2. How did Fats'ai's mother think her son died?
3. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a dog?
4. How many siblings did Lao's father have?
5. What did Lao's father's job in a store require of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
2. What began to happen to Lao's household before Mantze was born?
3. How did Lao's brother treat her?
4. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
5. What effect did Lao's running wild have on her future?
6. What happened to Fats'ai?
7. How did Lao react to Sue Teh studying in America?
8. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
9. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
10. When did Chinese ladies get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forms of irony exist in the story? Examine the effect of the ironic events.
Essay Topic 2
How did Lao break expectations society has for her?
Essay Topic 3
Who struggled the most with her husband, Lao or Mantze?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)