|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What freedom did Lao's mother allow her as a child?
2. How old was Lao when her father first saw her?
3. What kind of cook was Lao's father?
4. What happened to Lao in 1881?
5. Why did Wen Chuan attend school as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao behave when she visited her parents?
2. What situation helped Lao as she moved to her husband's home?
3. After Lao's two daughters were born, what life choice did she make?
4. How did Lao's brother treat her?
5. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
6. What happened to Chinya?
7. What awful events did Lao endure during 1887-1888?
8. Why would neighbors criticize Lao's mother?
9. Why did neighbors believe Lao and other young women should not be outside their homes?
10. What happened to Yintze's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Lao's writing style. Does she tell the story well, in a clear and understandable manner? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most pivotal moment in Lao's life? Examine how this moment changes her next actions.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)