|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Lao visit her parents while she was married?
2. After Lao's father's business failed, why did he not show himself to the village when he returned?
3. What did Lao's husband become addicted to?
4. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a tame goose?
5. What did Lao do for the old woman who fed her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would neighbors criticize Lao's mother?
2. What effect did Lao's running wild have on her future?
3. What began to happen to Lao's household before Mantze was born?
4. How did the awful events of 1887-1888 change Lao?
5. What happened to Lao when she was thirteen?
6. What situation helped Lao as she moved to her husband's home?
7. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
8. What happened to Chinya?
9. Why did neighbors believe Lao and other young women should not be outside their homes?
10. What sort of jobs did Lao's father keep during her youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Lao continually stay with her husband, through his numerous problems?
Essay Topic 2
Which of Lao's children helped her the most? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What forms of irony exist in the story? Examine the effect of the ironic events.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)