|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Wen Chuan attend school as a child?
2. What kind of hours did Lao's husband keep?
3. What did Lao's father do to earn money for the family?
4. What information concerning stories and legends did Lao state about a cat?
5. How old was Lao when her father first saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
2. Why did neighbors believe Lao and other young women should not be outside their homes?
3. After Lao's two daughters were born, what life choice did she make?
4. What happened to Chinya?
5. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
6. What sort of jobs did Lao's father keep during her youth?
7. What was Lao's husband like?
8. Why did Lao detail her bound feet?
9. What happened to Fats'ai?
10. When did Chinese ladies get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
Essay Topic 2
How did the fortune teller influence Lao's life?
Essay Topic 3
What forms of irony exist in the story? Examine the effect of the ironic events.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)