|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Lao visit her parents while she was married?
2. Where was Lao born?
3. What happened to Lao when she was seven?
4. What caused Lao's father's business to fail?
5. With whom did Lao run wild as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chinese ladies get married?
2. What awful events did Lao endure during 1887-1888?
3. Whom did Lao friend at her husband's home?
4. What happened to Fats'ai?
5. How were Lao's parents similar?
6. How did Lao's father's early life influence the rest of his life?
7. How did Lao behave when she visited her parents?
8. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
9. What began to happen to Lao's household before Mantze was born?
10. How did the awful events of 1887-1888 change Lao?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forms of irony exist in the story? Examine the effect of the ironic events.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the value of Lao and Mantze's arranged marriages. Explain the benefits and flaws they faced.
Essay Topic 3
How does Lao's relationship with Mantze and then later with Sue Teh demonstrate the change in women over generations?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)