|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Fats'ai's mother blame for his death?
2. What legend happened to Lao's family?
3. What kind of hours did Lao's husband keep?
4. What sort of events happened in the village, according to Lao?
5. Who is Fats'ai?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
2. Why did neighbors believe Lao and other young women should not be outside their homes?
3. When did Chinese ladies get married?
4. How did the awful events of 1887-1888 change Lao?
5. How did Lao behave when she visited her parents?
6. Why did Lao tell several stories and legends?
7. What happened to Lao when she was thirteen?
8. How did Lao's father's early life influence the rest of his life?
9. What happened to Chinya?
10. Whom did Lao friend at her husband's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What forms of irony exist in the story? Examine the effect of the ironic events.
Essay Topic 2
Does Lao fairly describe male figures in her life story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
This is a work of nonfiction. How does that make this story powerful?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)