|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Harsh and demanding.
(b) Giving and secretive.
(c) Kind and sweet.
(d) Odd and mystical.
2. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) An infant.
(c) Family bibles.
3. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(b) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(c) To earn Lao's trust.
(d) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To find another mistress or not.
(b) To ask for more money or not.
(c) To keep their secret or not.
(d) To travel with them or not.
5. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
(a) There are too many people in attendance.
(b) He did not get good gifts.
(c) He loves it.
(d) There is not enough money for it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
2. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
3. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
4. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
5. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
2. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
3. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
4. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
5. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
6. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
7. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
8. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
9. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
10. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)