|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(c) Overall happy.
2. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) An infant.
(c) Family bibles.
3. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to ask for money.
(b) Not to eat from street workers.
(c) Not to become a Christian.
(d) Not to create a scene.
4. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(b) Major Liu's family.
(d) Major Liu.
5. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They demand more without paying more.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(d) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
2. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
3. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
5. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
2. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
3. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
4. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
5. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
6. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
7. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
8. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
9. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
10. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)