|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) For wet-nurses.
(b) Free labor.
(c) To keep them for life.
(d) For them to live in their homes.
2. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(a) Well rested.
(b) Overly tired.
3. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(b) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(c) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(d) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
4. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) At his employer's house.
(b) With Lao.
(c) With Mantze's cousin.
(d) On the streets.
5. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
(a) At another house.
(b) With the servants.
(c) At his house.
(d) In an apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
2. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
3. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
4. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
2. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
3. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
4. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
5. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
6. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
7. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
8. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
9. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
10. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)