|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) With Mantze's cousin.
(b) At his employer's house.
(c) On the streets.
(d) With Lao.
2. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Stole money for alcohol.
(b) Had affairs.
(c) Smoked lots of opium.
(d) Baked with the servants.
3. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
(a) Her guard.
(b) Her lawyer.
(c) Her tax official.
(d) Her new master.
4. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(b) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(c) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(d) Children to watch and teach.
5. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Major Liu and his family.
(b) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(c) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(d) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
2. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
3. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
2. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
3. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
4. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
5. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
6. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
7. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
8. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
9. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
10. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)