|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) Free labor.
(b) For them to live in their homes.
(c) For wet-nurses.
(d) To keep them for life.
2. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(b) All the time.
(c) Only when Mantze works.
(d) Half the time.
3. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
4. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(b) To earn Lao's trust.
(c) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(d) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
5. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A greedy chef.
(b) A loyal patrolman.
(c) A high military official.
(d) A dishonest businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
2. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
3. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
4. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
5. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
2. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
3. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
4. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
5. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
6. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
7. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
8. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
9. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
10. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)