|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) She can build a home life of her own.
(b) They pay a living wage.
(c) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(d) They know the laws.
2. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to ask for money.
(b) Not to eat from street workers.
(c) Not to create a scene.
(d) Not to become a Christian.
3. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(b) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(c) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(d) To earn Lao's trust.
4. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(b) Overly tired.
(d) Well rested.
5. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Chang.
(b) Mrs. Yuntze.
(c) Mrs. Lan.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
2. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
3. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
4. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
5. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)