|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She gave birth to another daughter.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) She got hurt at work.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
2. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A gatekeeper.
(b) A government official.
(c) A sworn father.
(d) A district magistrate.
3. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
(a) With the servants.
(b) At his house.
(c) In an apartment.
(d) At another house.
4. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Odd and mystical.
(b) Kind and sweet.
(c) Giving and secretive.
(d) Harsh and demanding.
5. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She enters a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
2. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
3. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
4. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
5. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
2. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
3. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
4. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
5. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
6. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
7. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
8. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
9. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
10. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)