|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
(b) She never understood her scoldings.
(c) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(d) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
2. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(a) Each other.
(b) Mrs. Burns.
3. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
(b) People fleeing the country.
(c) A government destroying records.
(d) Food wasted.
4. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(d) An infant.
5. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
(a) To begin her own life with her own family.
(b) To begin college.
(c) To move to America.
(d) To gain her freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
2. What did Chang the Chen T'ai's first wife do?
3. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
4. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
5. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Lao make life plans for Mantze?
2. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
3. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
4. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
5. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
6. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
7. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
8. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
9. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
10. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)