|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They have already had smallpox.
(b) They did contract smallpox.
(c) They left the house immediately.
(d) They were vaccinated.
2. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Got him out of jail.
(b) Found him a job.
(c) Put him on a boat.
(d) Gave him a house.
3. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(a) A loving marriage.
(c) A family marriage.
(d) A sham.
4. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) All the time.
(b) Half the time.
(d) Only when Mantze works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
2. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
3. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
4. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
5. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
2. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
3. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
4. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
5. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
6. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
7. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
8. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
9. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
10. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)