|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To keep her job while she is gone.
(b) To give will her money when she dies.
(c) To care for her as a mother would.
(d) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
2. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
(a) Mantze neeed to help her mother.
(b) Mantze's husband died.
(c) Lao could not afford to maintain two households.
(d) Her husband beat her.
3. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Creepy with weird noises.
(b) Infested with bugs.
(c) Huge with hundreds living there.
(d) Small but pretty.
4. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She got hurt at work.
(c) She gave birth to another daughter.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
5. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) For them to live in their homes.
(b) Free labor.
(c) To keep them for life.
(d) For wet-nurses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
2. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
3. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
4. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
5. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
2. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
3. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
4. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
5. What was Lao's life like while she lived with the civil officials?
6. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
7. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
8. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
9. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
10. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)