|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) Family bibles.
(d) An infant.
2. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) Young servants.
(b) Cruel servants.
(c) Unhelpful servants.
(d) No other servants.
3. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Cruel and mean.
(b) Indifferent and quiet.
(c) Easy-going and kind.
(d) Selfish and hurtful.
4. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(b) Overly tired.
(d) Well rested.
5. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
(a) At a high point.
(b) Sickening him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
2. How did Lao feel about scolding?
3. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. What does Lao say about working for foreign missionaries?
5. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
2. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
3. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
4. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
5. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
6. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
7. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
8. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
9. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
10. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)