|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
(a) That Mantze's father be opium-free the day of the ceremony.
(b) That Lao not be present.
(c) That the future husband pay for part of the ceremony.
(d) That Mantze have a wedding.
2. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(d) An infant.
3. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) Her new master.
(c) Her tax official.
(d) Her guard.
4. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(a) Silver coins.
5. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
(a) Lao did not want Mantze there.
(b) It was tradition that a child not be born where a duck has flown low.
(c) It was tradition that a child not be born in the home of a maternal grandmother.
(d) Lao's house was too small.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
2. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
3. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
2. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
3. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
4. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
5. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
6. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
7. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
8. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
9. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
10. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)