|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to ask for money.
(b) Not to create a scene.
(c) Not to become a Christian.
(d) Not to eat from street workers.
2. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(b) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(c) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(d) Children to watch and teach.
3. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To eat dinner.
(b) To settle a dispute.
(c) To take money.
(d) To toll a god out.
4. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
(a) To move to America.
(b) To begin her own life with her own family.
(c) To gain her freedom.
(d) To begin college.
5. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(b) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
(c) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
(d) She never understood her scoldings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
2. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
3. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
4. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
2. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
3. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
4. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
5. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
6. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
7. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
8. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
9. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
10. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)