|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
(b) She never understood her scoldings.
(c) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(d) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
2. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
3. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To care for her as a mother would.
(b) To give will her money when she dies.
(c) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(d) To keep her job while she is gone.
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) At her old house cleaning floors.
(c) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(d) With the Lius at a new business venture.
5. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(b) Major Liu's family.
(d) Major Liu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
2. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
3. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
4. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
5. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
2. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
3. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
4. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
5. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
6. How did Mantze's second daughter and Lao's son grow up together?
7. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
8. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
9. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
10. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)