|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) Family bibles.
(c) An infant.
2. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(b) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(c) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(d) Children to watch and teach.
3. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To ask for more money or not.
(b) To find another mistress or not.
(c) To travel with them or not.
(d) To keep their secret or not.
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
(a) Spread disease.
(b) Visit the area.
(c) Bomb the city.
(d) Warn the country.
5. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(b) Major Liu's family.
(c) Major Liu.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
2. What describes Mantze's marriage?
3. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
4. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
5. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
2. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
3. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
4. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
5. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
6. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
7. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
8. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
9. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
10. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)