|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Giving and secretive.
(b) Kind and sweet.
(c) Harsh and demanding.
(d) Odd and mystical.
2. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
(a) Her husband beat her.
(b) Mantze neeed to help her mother.
(c) Lao could not afford to maintain two households.
(d) Mantze's husband died.
3. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) A government destroying records.
(b) Food wasted.
(c) People fleeing the country.
(d) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
4. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(d) They demand more without paying more.
5. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To care for her as a mother would.
(b) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(c) To give will her money when she dies.
(d) To keep her job while she is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
2. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
3. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
5. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
2. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
3. What happened with Lao when she quarreled with her mistress at Major Liu's house?
4. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
5. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
6. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
7. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
8. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
9. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
10. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)