|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(b) She never understood her scoldings.
(c) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
(d) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
2. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She needed to return to her husband.
(b) She was often scolded.
(c) She worried about Mantze.
(d) She did not make enough money.
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He died.
(b) He went to jail.
(c) He found a job.
(d) He ran away.
4. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) To iron and clean.
(b) To scrub and cook.
(c) To sew and read.
(d) To cheat and steal.
5. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(a) A loving marriage.
(b) A sham.
(d) A family marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
2. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
3. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
4. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Mantze and her marriage?
2. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
3. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
4. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
5. How did Lao arrange Mantze's future?
6. How does Lao like working for Chinese families more than working for foreign missionaries?
7. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
8. What did Lao realize while she was at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house?
9. How dis Lao spend extra money on Mantze?
10. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)