|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(a) Silver coins.
2. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She enters a hospital.
(d) She goes to jail.
3. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She got hurt at work.
(b) She gave birth to another daughter.
(c) She lost her job.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
4. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Indifferent and quiet.
(b) Cruel and mean.
(c) Easy-going and kind.
(d) Selfish and hurtful.
5. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) An infant.
(c) Family bibles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
2. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
3. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
4. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
5. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao and her husband's relationship change in 1899?
2. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
3. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
4. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. Why did Lao invite her husband back into her life?
6. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
7. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
8. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
9. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
10. How did Lao feel when her husband died? Why?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)