|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) Equal rights.
(b) A family of her own.
(c) A well-kept home.
(d) Her own hands.
2. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(c) Overall happy.
3. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They left the house immediately.
(b) They have already had smallpox.
(c) They did contract smallpox.
(d) They were vaccinated.
4. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze cleans her room.
(b) Mantze reads to her.
(c) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
(d) Mantze brushes her hair.
5. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) An infant.
(d) Family bibles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
2. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
4. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
2. How does Lao explain why she likes working for foreign missionaries more than working for Chinese families?
3. What happened the day a shaman arrived at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. Why did Lao leave Major Liu's house a second time?
5. How did Liu Ma help Lao?
6. How was Lao's life with Chang the Chen T'ai?
7. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
8. How did Lao feel about her overall life with Major Liu?
9. How did Li Yuntz and his family handle Mantze's pregnancies?
10. How did Lao's life with the military officials begin?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)