|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a wild goose?
(a) The goose drowned.
(b) The goose cannot be around a cat.
(c) A goose walking through a house fortells a robbery.
(d) A goose landing in a courtyard means an increase in fortune.
2. Why did Lao visit her parents after she was married?
(a) Her sister needed help.
(b) It was tradition.
(c) She sneaked them food.
(d) They missed her.
3. What does the region of P'englai include?
(a) Oceans and sand.
(b) The Water City.
(c) Merchants and a prison.
(d) Lakes and valleys.
4. After Lao's father's business failed, why did he not show himself to the village when he returned?
(a) He belonged in jail.
(b) He gave outsiders information about the village.
(c) He owed people money.
(d) He hurt his wife.
5. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a tame goose?
(a) The goose must cross paths with a black cat.
(b) The goose thought it was a dog.
(c) Nothing, she mentions a duck.
(d) A goose flying away from a courtyard means an decrease in fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What freedom did Lao's mother allow her as a child?
2. Why did Yintze's parents react in such a way as Yintze left their visits?
3. What did the Chu family own?
4. In the past, what was Lao's family's financial situation?
5. When Lao returned to the home of her parents while pregnant, what did she plan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did neighbors believe Lao and other young women should not be outside their homes?
2. Why would neighbors criticize Lao's mother?
3. What effect did Lao's running wild have on her future?
4. As Lao's parents neared death, how did she care for them?
5. Whom did Lao friend at her husband's home?
6. How did Lao's father's early life influence the rest of his life?
7. How did Lao's brother treat her?
8. What awful events did Lao endure during 1887-1888?
9. What happened to Fats'ai?
10. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)