|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Lao's father's business to fail?
(a) An insect infestation.
(b) Stolen recipes.
(c) A fire destroyed his building.
(d) A dishonest employee.
2. What did Yintze do when her visits with the parents came to an end?
(a) Happily left.
(b) Kept finding excuses to stay.
(d) Stole from them.
3. What legend happened to Lao's family?
(a) A goose flew away.
(b) A duck lived with them.
(c) A black cat walked in front of their house.
(d) A dog was in the courtyard.
4. What kind of cook was Lao's father?
(a) A wonderful cook.
(b) A terrible cook.
(c) He can only make rice.
(d) He never cooks.
5. What is the title of the prologue?
(a) Family and Heartache.
(b) The City.
(c) Keeping Life.
(d) Sharing Memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Lao's pregnancies, what was her life like?
2. What happened to Lao in 1881?
3. Who raised Lao's father?
4. What was Lao's husband by trade?
5. What happened as Fats'ai hides while playing with Lao one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao's brother treat her?
2. Whom did Lao friend at her husband's home?
3. What kind of person was Sue Teh?
4. How had Mantze's husband changed when he returned after the birth of Mantze's second daughter?
5. Why could Mantze's relationship with Lao be stressed?
6. What did readers learn about Mantze as she charmed Third Mistress?
7. What was Lao's husband like during the early part of their marriage?
8. How did Lao help the master with the mistresses during a fight?
9. What happened to Yintze's marriage?
10. What does Lao recount about the three times that she "died"?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)