|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
2. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Lao's husband.
3. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) An infant.
(d) Family bibles.
4. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
(a) That the future husband pay for part of the ceremony.
(b) That Lao not be present.
(c) That Mantze's father be opium-free the day of the ceremony.
(d) That Mantze have a wedding.
5. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(b) With Mrs. Burns.
(d) On the riverboat.
6. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) At her old house cleaning floors.
(c) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(d) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
7. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu.
(c) Major Liu's family.
8. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She disappears.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She enters a hospital.
9. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
(b) She never understood her scoldings.
(c) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
(d) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
10. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Easy-going and kind.
(b) Indifferent and quiet.
(c) Selfish and hurtful.
(d) Cruel and mean.
11. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(b) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(c) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(d) To earn Lao's trust.
12. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(b) Each other.
(c) Mrs. Burns.
13. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Giving and secretive.
(b) Odd and mystical.
(c) Harsh and demanding.
(d) Kind and sweet.
14. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) To keep them for life.
(b) For wet-nurses.
(c) For them to live in their homes.
(d) Free labor.
15. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(b) Children to watch and teach.
(c) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(d) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
2. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
3. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
4. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
5. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)