|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(b) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(c) Major Liu and his family.
(d) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
2. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(a) A sham.
(b) A loving marriage.
(c) A family marriage.
3. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
(a) To gain her freedom.
(b) To begin college.
(c) To move to America.
(d) To begin her own life with her own family.
4. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to ask for money.
(b) Not to become a Christian.
(c) Not to eat from street workers.
(d) Not to create a scene.
5. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Indifferent and quiet.
(b) Easy-going and kind.
(c) Cruel and mean.
(d) Selfish and hurtful.
6. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(c) Overall happy.
7. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
(a) There are too many people in attendance.
(b) He loves it.
(c) There is not enough money for it.
(d) He did not get good gifts.
8. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(b) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(c) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(d) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
9. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She did not make enough money.
(b) She needed to return to her husband.
(c) She worried about Mantze.
(d) She was often scolded.
10. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She got hurt at work.
(c) She gave birth to another daughter.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
11. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(b) Mrs. Burns.
(c) Each other.
12. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
(a) Sickening him.
(b) At a high point.
13. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) Another wife was called to help.
(b) Lao was called to intervene.
(c) The master leaves.
(d) The shaman was called.
14. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) At a bar.
(b) With an opium-addicted woman.
(c) In a stable.
(d) Away from home.
15. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) At a unsafe location.
(b) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(c) With her mother.
(d) In a rich country.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
2. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
3. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
4. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)