|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(b) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(c) He spoke to the police.
(d) He tried to file for a divorce.
2. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They have very little money.
(b) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(c) They have been in the law for generations.
(d) They keep secrets.
3. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To take money.
(b) To toll a god out.
(c) To eat dinner.
(d) To settle a dispute.
4. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) With her mother.
(b) In a rich country.
(c) At a unsafe location.
(d) In a house where the food is provided by others.
5. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) She can build a home life of her own.
(b) They pay a living wage.
(c) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(d) They know the laws.
6. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Only when Mantze works.
(b) Half the time.
(c) All the time.
7. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) Her guard.
(c) Her new master.
(d) Her tax official.
8. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They have already had smallpox.
(b) They were vaccinated.
(c) They did contract smallpox.
(d) They left the house immediately.
9. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A gatekeeper.
(b) A district magistrate.
(c) A sworn father.
(d) A government official.
10. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A dishonest businessman.
(b) A high military official.
(c) A greedy chef.
(d) A loyal patrolman.
11. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(b) A safe job.
(c) Money for an education.
(d) A living space of her own.
12. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Yuntze.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Lan.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
13. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
(a) Moved Mantze out of her school.
(b) Divorced her husband.
(c) Kept Mantze's new job.
(d) Left the home of her employer.
14. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She gave birth to another daughter.
(c) She got hurt at work.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
15. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(d) Another child.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
2. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
3. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
4. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
5. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)