|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
(a) That Mantze have a wedding.
(b) That Mantze's father be opium-free the day of the ceremony.
(c) That the future husband pay for part of the ceremony.
(d) That Lao not be present.
2. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A government official.
(b) A district magistrate.
(c) A gatekeeper.
(d) A sworn father.
3. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They have already had smallpox.
(b) They did contract smallpox.
(c) They left the house immediately.
(d) They were vaccinated.
4. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(b) On the riverboat.
(d) With Mrs. Burns.
5. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) At a unsafe location.
(b) With her mother.
(c) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(d) In a rich country.
6. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(b) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(c) They demand more without paying more.
(d) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
7. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
(a) Foreign missionaries.
(c) Mantze's in-laws.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
8. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Found him a job.
(b) Got him out of jail.
(c) Put him on a boat.
(d) Gave him a house.
9. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(b) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(c) To earn Lao's trust.
(d) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
10. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(b) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(c) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(d) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
11. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To watch him.
(b) To have a son.
(c) To keep him drug free.
(d) To help him as his illness progresses.
12. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She did not make enough money.
(b) She was often scolded.
(c) She worried about Mantze.
(d) She needed to return to her husband.
13. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They have been in the law for generations.
(b) They keep secrets.
(c) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(d) They have very little money.
14. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) The shaman was called.
(b) Lao was called to intervene.
(c) Another wife was called to help.
(d) The master leaves.
15. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu's family.
(c) Major Liu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
2. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
3. Who was Mantze's midwife?
4. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
5. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)