|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
(a) Foreign missionaries.
(b) Mantze's in-laws.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
2. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(a) With Mrs. Burns.
(b) On the riverboat.
3. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
4. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(d) Another child.
5. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
(a) Mantze neeed to help her mother.
(b) Her husband beat her.
(c) Mantze's husband died.
(d) Lao could not afford to maintain two households.
6. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(c) At her old house cleaning floors.
(d) With the Lius at a new business venture.
7. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Lan.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Yuntze.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
8. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To watch him.
(b) To keep him drug free.
(c) To have a son.
(d) To help him as his illness progresses.
9. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
(b) Food wasted.
(c) People fleeing the country.
(d) A government destroying records.
10. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(b) Major Liu's family.
(c) Major Liu.
11. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) To scrub and cook.
(b) To iron and clean.
(c) To sew and read.
(d) To cheat and steal.
12. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Had affairs.
(b) Stole money for alcohol.
(c) Baked with the servants.
(d) Smoked lots of opium.
13. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze cleans her room.
(b) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
(c) Mantze reads to her.
(d) Mantze brushes her hair.
14. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To keep their secret or not.
(b) To travel with them or not.
(c) To find another mistress or not.
(d) To ask for more money or not.
15. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(b) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(c) They demand more without paying more.
(d) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
2. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
3. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
4. What does Lao say about working for foreign missionaries?
5. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)