|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) Money for an education.
(b) A safe job.
(c) A living space of her own.
(d) A suitable husband for Mantze.
2. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
3. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To find another mistress or not.
(b) To keep their secret or not.
(c) To travel with them or not.
(d) To ask for more money or not.
4. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) Her new master.
(c) Her guard.
(d) Her tax official.
5. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(d) They demand more without paying more.
6. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(c) An infant.
7. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To care for her as a mother would.
(b) To give will her money when she dies.
(c) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(d) To keep her job while she is gone.
8. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(b) With Mrs. Burns.
(c) On the riverboat.
9. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) The shaman was called.
(b) Another wife was called to help.
(c) Lao was called to intervene.
(d) The master leaves.
10. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(b) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(c) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(d) Major Liu and his family.
11. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Children to watch and teach.
(b) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(c) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(d) Meals to prepare for large parties.
12. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(b) She can build a home life of her own.
(c) They know the laws.
(d) They pay a living wage.
13. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
(a) Warn the country.
(b) Visit the area.
(c) Bomb the city.
(d) Spread disease.
14. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(b) Overly tired.
(c) Well rested.
15. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Wears them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Fixes them.
(d) Sells them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lao say about working for foreign missionaries?
2. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
3. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
4. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
5. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)