|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(b) They keep secrets.
(c) They have very little money.
(d) They have been in the law for generations.
2. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She did not make enough money.
(b) She needed to return to her husband.
(c) She was often scolded.
(d) She worried about Mantze.
3. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze brushes her hair.
(b) Mantze cleans her room.
(c) Mantze reads to her.
(d) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
6. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
(a) Lao did not want Mantze there.
(b) Lao's house was too small.
(c) It was tradition that a child not be born where a duck has flown low.
(d) It was tradition that a child not be born in the home of a maternal grandmother.
7. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(b) To give will her money when she dies.
(c) To keep her job while she is gone.
(d) To care for her as a mother would.
8. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) All the time.
(b) Half the time.
(c) Only when Mantze works.
9. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(b) Children to watch and teach.
(c) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(d) Meals to prepare for large parties.
10. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Harsh and demanding.
(b) Odd and mystical.
(c) Giving and secretive.
(d) Kind and sweet.
11. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
(a) One year.
(b) They are never together.
(c) Only a short time.
(d) A month.
12. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(a) Each other.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
13. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(b) They know the laws.
(c) They pay a living wage.
(d) She can build a home life of her own.
14. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She enters a hospital.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She disappears.
15. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
(a) Lao and her friends.
(b) Lao's parents.
(c) Li Yuntze's parents.
(d) Lao's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
2. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
3. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
4. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
5. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)