|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Smoked lots of opium.
(b) Baked with the servants.
(c) Stole money for alcohol.
(d) Had affairs.
2. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Wears them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Sells them.
(d) Fixes them.
3. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
(a) Only a short time.
(b) They are never together.
(c) One year.
(d) A month.
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(b) On the streets begging.
(c) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(d) At her old house cleaning floors.
5. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
6. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A living space of her own.
(b) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(c) A safe job.
(d) Money for an education.
7. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) They pay a living wage.
(b) She can build a home life of her own.
(c) They know the laws.
(d) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
8. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Creepy with weird noises.
(b) Infested with bugs.
(c) Huge with hundreds living there.
(d) Small but pretty.
9. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
(a) Lao's husband.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
10. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) Equal rights.
(b) A well-kept home.
(c) Her own hands.
(d) A family of her own.
11. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
12. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(b) Children to watch and teach.
(c) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(d) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
13. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(b) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(c) He spoke to the police.
(d) He tried to file for a divorce.
14. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To have a son.
(b) To keep him drug free.
(c) To watch him.
(d) To help him as his illness progresses.
15. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A dishonest businessman.
(b) A loyal patrolman.
(c) A high military official.
(d) A greedy chef.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
2. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
3. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
4. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
5. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)