|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
(a) At his house.
(b) At another house.
(c) With the servants.
(d) In an apartment.
2. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) She got married.
(b) Her husband left her.
(c) Her mother abandoned her.
(d) She had a son.
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He went to jail.
(c) He found a job.
(d) He died.
4. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(b) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(c) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(d) To earn Lao's trust.
5. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu.
(c) Major Liu's family.
6. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She was often scolded.
(b) She worried about Mantze.
(c) She did not make enough money.
(d) She needed to return to her husband.
7. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
8. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Creepy with weird noises.
(b) Infested with bugs.
(c) Huge with hundreds living there.
(d) Small but pretty.
9. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(b) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(c) Major Liu and his family.
(d) Both of Major Liu's wives.
10. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
(a) Left the home of her employer.
(b) Divorced her husband.
(c) Moved Mantze out of her school.
(d) Kept Mantze's new job.
11. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
(a) Bomb the city.
(b) Warn the country.
(c) Visit the area.
(d) Spread disease.
12. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Yuntze.
(d) Mrs. Lan.
13. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) Her own hands.
(b) A family of her own.
(c) Equal rights.
(d) A well-kept home.
14. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
(a) She never cleans it.
(b) She trusts Mantze to care for it.
(c) She spends a great deal of money on it.
(d) She does not have a house.
15. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(b) Overly tired.
(d) Well rested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
2. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
3. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
5. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)