|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Selfish and hurtful.
(b) Indifferent and quiet.
(c) Cruel and mean.
(d) Easy-going and kind.
2. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To travel with them or not.
(b) To ask for more money or not.
(c) To keep their secret or not.
(d) To find another mistress or not.
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He died.
(b) He went to jail.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He found a job.
4. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Mrs. Yuntze.
(c) Mrs. Lan.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
5. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Gave him a house.
(b) Found him a job.
(c) Got him out of jail.
(d) Put him on a boat.
6. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(d) They demand more without paying more.
7. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
(a) In an apartment.
(b) With the servants.
(c) At his house.
(d) At another house.
8. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They have very little money.
(b) They have been in the law for generations.
(c) They keep secrets.
(d) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
9. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
(b) Sickening him.
(d) At a high point.
10. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) Another wife was called to help.
(b) The master leaves.
(c) The shaman was called.
(d) Lao was called to intervene.
11. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(a) Overly tired.
(c) Well rested.
12. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(b) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
(c) She never understood her scoldings.
(d) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
13. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
14. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(b) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(c) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(d) To earn Lao's trust.
15. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
2. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
3. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
4. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
5. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)