|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She did not make enough money.
(b) She needed to return to her husband.
(c) She worried about Mantze.
(d) She was often scolded.
2. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Small but pretty.
(b) Huge with hundreds living there.
(c) Creepy with weird noises.
(d) Infested with bugs.
3. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) Her mother abandoned her.
(b) Her husband left her.
(c) She got married.
(d) She had a son.
4. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(b) Another child.
5. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Found him a job.
(b) Got him out of jail.
(c) Put him on a boat.
(d) Gave him a house.
6. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(b) He spoke to the police.
(c) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(d) He tried to file for a divorce.
7. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) Away from home.
(b) With an opium-addicted woman.
(c) At a bar.
(d) In a stable.
8. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) With her mother.
(b) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(c) In a rich country.
(d) At a unsafe location.
9. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They have already had smallpox.
(b) They left the house immediately.
(c) They did contract smallpox.
(d) They were vaccinated.
10. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(c) Major Liu.
(d) Major Liu's family.
11. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) Her own hands.
(b) Equal rights.
(c) A well-kept home.
(d) A family of her own.
12. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(d) Silver coins.
13. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(a) Each other.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
14. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) To keep their secret or not.
(b) To travel with them or not.
(c) To ask for more money or not.
(d) To find another mistress or not.
15. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To keep him drug free.
(b) To have a son.
(c) To help him as his illness progresses.
(d) To watch him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
2. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
3. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
4. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
5. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)