|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
(a) She trusts Mantze to care for it.
(b) She does not have a house.
(c) She never cleans it.
(d) She spends a great deal of money on it.
2. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(b) He tried to file for a divorce.
(c) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(d) He spoke to the police.
3. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She was often scolded.
(b) She worried about Mantze.
(c) She needed to return to her husband.
(d) She did not make enough money.
4. Where did Chang the Chen T'ai's Third and Fourth Mistresses live while Lao is in service?
(a) In an apartment.
(b) At his house.
(c) At another house.
(d) With the servants.
5. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Yuntze.
(b) Mrs. Lan.
(c) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
6. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(b) Half the time.
(c) Only when Mantze works.
(d) All the time.
7. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
(a) To move to America.
(b) To begin college.
(c) To begin her own life with her own family.
(d) To gain her freedom.
8. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) To iron and clean.
(b) To cheat and steal.
(c) To scrub and cook.
(d) To sew and read.
9. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(b) Overall happy.
10. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Kind and sweet.
(b) Odd and mystical.
(c) Harsh and demanding.
(d) Giving and secretive.
11. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Lao's husband.
12. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(b) To give will her money when she dies.
(c) To keep her job while she is gone.
(d) To care for her as a mother would.
13. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) No other servants.
(b) Unhelpful servants.
(c) Young servants.
(d) Cruel servants.
14. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Put him on a boat.
(b) Gave him a house.
(c) Got him out of jail.
(d) Found him a job.
15. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu.
(c) Major Liu's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
2. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
3. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
4. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
5. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)