|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lao feel about scolding?
(a) She disliked constant and unforgiving scolding.
(b) She distrusted her mistress who scolded her.
(c) She ignored the scolding so it would go away.
(d) She never understood her scoldings.
2. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(c) Silver coins.
3. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A high military official.
(b) A greedy chef.
(c) A loyal patrolman.
(d) A dishonest businessman.
4. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(c) At her old house cleaning floors.
(d) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
5. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She was often scolded.
(b) She did not make enough money.
(c) She needed to return to her husband.
(d) She worried about Mantze.
6. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) Unhelpful servants.
(b) No other servants.
(c) Cruel servants.
(d) Young servants.
7. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze cleans her room.
(b) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
(c) Mantze brushes her hair.
(d) Mantze reads to her.
8. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) With her mother.
(b) In a rich country.
(c) At a unsafe location.
(d) In a house where the food is provided by others.
9. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(a) A loving marriage.
(c) A sham.
(d) A family marriage.
10. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To keep him drug free.
(b) To help him as his illness progresses.
(c) To watch him.
(d) To have a son.
11. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(a) On the riverboat.
(c) With Mrs. Burns.
12. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) Her tax official.
(c) Her new master.
(d) Her guard.
13. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) She had a son.
(b) She got married.
(c) Her husband left her.
(d) Her mother abandoned her.
14. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) A family of her own.
(b) Equal rights.
(c) Her own hands.
(d) A well-kept home.
15. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(b) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(c) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(d) Lao needs help with Mantze.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
2. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
3. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
4. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
5. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)