|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He found a job.
(b) He died.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He went to jail.
2. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She was evicted from her home.
(c) She gave birth to another daughter.
(d) She got hurt at work.
3. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Half the time.
(c) All the time.
(d) Only when Mantze works.
4. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) To keep them for life.
(b) For wet-nurses.
(c) For them to live in their homes.
(d) Free labor.
5. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(b) With her mother.
(c) At a unsafe location.
(d) In a rich country.
6. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(c) An infant.
(d) Family bibles.
7. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) With Mantze's cousin.
(b) At his employer's house.
(c) With Lao.
(d) On the streets.
8. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Wears them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Sells them.
(d) Fixes them.
9. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A sworn father.
(b) A gatekeeper.
(c) A district magistrate.
(d) A government official.
10. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(b) They keep secrets.
(c) They have very little money.
(d) They have been in the law for generations.
11. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Found him a job.
(b) Gave him a house.
(c) Got him out of jail.
(d) Put him on a boat.
12. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To eat dinner.
(b) To settle a dispute.
(c) To toll a god out.
(d) To take money.
13. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(a) Silver coins.
14. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) Her mother abandoned her.
(b) She got married.
(c) Her husband left her.
(d) She had a son.
15. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Mantze's midwife?
2. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
3. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
4. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
5. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)