|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
(a) That Mantze's father be opium-free the day of the ceremony.
(b) That the future husband pay for part of the ceremony.
(c) That Lao not be present.
(d) That Mantze have a wedding.
2. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
3. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(b) He spoke to the police.
(c) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(d) He tried to file for a divorce.
4. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(b) They know the laws.
(c) They pay a living wage.
(d) She can build a home life of her own.
5. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A greedy chef.
(b) A high military official.
(c) A loyal patrolman.
(d) A dishonest businessman.
6. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Yuntze.
(b) Mrs. Lan.
(c) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Mrs. Chang.
7. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
(a) Visit the area.
(b) Spread disease.
(c) Warn the country.
(d) Bomb the city.
8. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
(a) Mantze's husband died.
(b) Lao could not afford to maintain two households.
(c) Her husband beat her.
(d) Mantze neeed to help her mother.
9. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
(a) Li Yuntze's parents.
(b) Lao's parents.
(c) Lao and her friends.
(d) Lao's parents.
10. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(b) Children to watch and teach.
(c) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(d) Meals to prepare for large parties.
11. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She gave birth to another daughter.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) She got hurt at work.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
12. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze cleans her room.
(b) Mantze reads to her.
(c) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
(d) Mantze brushes her hair.
13. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Only when Mantze works.
(c) All the time.
(d) Half the time.
14. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) For them to live in their homes.
(b) Free labor.
(c) To keep them for life.
(d) For wet-nurses.
15. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(b) To care for her as a mother would.
(c) To give will her money when she dies.
(d) To keep her job while she is gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
2. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
3. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
4. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
5. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)