|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(d) Another child.
2. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) Young servants.
(b) Unhelpful servants.
(c) Cruel servants.
(d) No other servants.
3. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Only when Mantze works.
(b) Half the time.
(d) All the time.
4. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(d) An infant.
5. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(b) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(c) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(d) Lao needs help with Mantze.
6. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
(a) Lao and her friends.
(b) Lao's parents.
(c) Li Yuntze's parents.
(d) Lao's parents.
7. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Baked with the servants.
(b) Stole money for alcohol.
(c) Had affairs.
(d) Smoked lots of opium.
8. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) The shaman was called.
(b) Another wife was called to help.
(c) The master leaves.
(d) Lao was called to intervene.
9. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(b) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(c) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(d) To earn Lao's trust.
10. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(b) Major Liu and his family.
(c) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(d) Both of Major Liu's wives.
11. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
12. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A safe job.
(b) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(c) Money for an education.
(d) A living space of her own.
13. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
(b) Mantze's in-laws.
(c) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Foreign missionaries.
14. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(c) Silver coins.
15. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They keep secrets.
(b) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(c) They have been in the law for generations.
(d) They have very little money.
Short Answer Questions
1. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
2. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
3. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
4. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)