|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Only when Mantze works.
(b) Half the time.
(c) All the time.
2. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
3. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(c) On the riverboat.
(d) With Mrs. Burns.
4. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A sworn father.
(b) A district magistrate.
(c) A gatekeeper.
(d) A government official.
5. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Got him out of jail.
(b) Gave him a house.
(c) Found him a job.
(d) Put him on a boat.
6. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(b) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(c) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(d) Major Liu and his family.
7. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(c) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(d) At her old house cleaning floors.
8. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(a) Overall happy.
9. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Stole money for alcohol.
(b) Smoked lots of opium.
(c) Baked with the servants.
(d) Had affairs.
10. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
(a) Well rested.
(b) Overly tired.
11. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(b) Silver coins.
12. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She got hurt at work.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) She gave birth to another daughter.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
13. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) People fleeing the country.
(b) Food wasted.
(c) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
(d) A government destroying records.
14. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
(a) Lao's house was too small.
(b) It was tradition that a child not be born in the home of a maternal grandmother.
(c) It was tradition that a child not be born where a duck has flown low.
(d) Lao did not want Mantze there.
15. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Easy-going and kind.
(b) Cruel and mean.
(c) Selfish and hurtful.
(d) Indifferent and quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
2. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
3. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
4. Who was Mantze's midwife?
5. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)