|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(c) Another child.
2. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Had affairs.
(b) Baked with the servants.
(c) Stole money for alcohol.
(d) Smoked lots of opium.
3. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She gave birth to another daughter.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) She got hurt at work.
(d) She was evicted from her home.
4. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) Away from home.
(b) In a stable.
(c) At a bar.
(d) With an opium-addicted woman.
5. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They have very little money.
(b) They have been in the law for generations.
(c) They keep secrets.
(d) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
6. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She did not make enough money.
(b) She needed to return to her husband.
(c) She was often scolded.
(d) She worried about Mantze.
7. Why did Mantze return home after her marriage?
(a) Mantze's husband died.
(b) Her husband beat her.
(c) Lao could not afford to maintain two households.
(d) Mantze neeed to help her mother.
8. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
(a) Foreign missionaries.
(c) Mantze's in-laws.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
9. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
10. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) She can build a home life of her own.
(b) They pay a living wage.
(c) They know the laws.
(d) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
11. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To settle a dispute.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To toll a god out.
(d) To take money.
12. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(b) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(c) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(d) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
13. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To have a son.
(b) To keep him drug free.
(c) To help him as his illness progresses.
(d) To watch him.
14. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Odd and mystical.
(b) Kind and sweet.
(c) Harsh and demanding.
(d) Giving and secretive.
15. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
(a) Meals to prepare for large parties.
(b) Floors to mop and other things that need done.
(c) Clothes to wash, sew and mend.
(d) Children to watch and teach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
2. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
3. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
4. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
5. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)