|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
(a) She trusts Mantze to care for it.
(b) She does not have a house.
(c) She never cleans it.
(d) She spends a great deal of money on it.
2. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) To iron and clean.
(b) To scrub and cook.
(c) To sew and read.
(d) To cheat and steal.
3. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A dishonest businessman.
(b) A high military official.
(c) A loyal patrolman.
(d) A greedy chef.
4. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
(b) Mantze reads to her.
(c) Mantze brushes her hair.
(d) Mantze cleans her room.
5. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
(a) Kept Mantze's new job.
(b) Moved Mantze out of her school.
(c) Divorced her husband.
(d) Left the home of her employer.
6. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She enters a hospital.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She disappears.
7. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) With an opium-addicted woman.
(b) In a stable.
(c) At a bar.
(d) Away from home.
8. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(b) Major Liu and his family.
(c) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(d) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
9. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They left the house immediately.
(b) They did contract smallpox.
(c) They were vaccinated.
(d) They have already had smallpox.
10. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to eat from street workers.
(b) Not to become a Christian.
(c) Not to ask for money.
(d) Not to create a scene.
11. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Yuntze.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Lan.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
12. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A safe job.
(b) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(c) Money for an education.
(d) A living space of her own.
13. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) Half the time.
(b) All the time.
(d) Only when Mantze works.
14. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To help him as his illness progresses.
(b) To have a son.
(c) To keep him drug free.
(d) To watch him.
15. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) The shaman was called.
(b) Lao was called to intervene.
(c) The master leaves.
(d) Another wife was called to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
2. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
3. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
4. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
5. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)