|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(a) On the riverboat.
(b) With Mrs. Burns.
2. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To help him as his illness progresses.
(b) To keep him drug free.
(c) To have a son.
(d) To watch him.
3. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) No other servants.
(b) Cruel servants.
(c) Unhelpful servants.
(d) Young servants.
4. How long did Mantze stay with her husband after their marriage?
(a) They are never together.
(b) Only a short time.
(c) One year.
(d) A month.
5. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
(a) Lao's parents.
(b) Lao's parents.
(c) Li Yuntze's parents.
(d) Lao and her friends.
6. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(c) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Each other.
7. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A government official.
(b) A gatekeeper.
(c) A district magistrate.
(d) A sworn father.
8. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) They pay a living wage.
(b) She can build a home life of her own.
(c) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(d) They know the laws.
9. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(b) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(c) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(d) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
10. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(d) Silver coins.
11. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
(a) Overall happy.
12. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to become a Christian.
(b) Not to create a scene.
(c) Not to eat from street workers.
(d) Not to ask for money.
13. What did Lao insist concerning Mantze's marriage?
(a) That Lao not be present.
(b) That Mantze's father be opium-free the day of the ceremony.
(c) That Mantze have a wedding.
(d) That the future husband pay for part of the ceremony.
14. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(b) To keep her job while she is gone.
(c) To give will her money when she dies.
(d) To care for her as a mother would.
15. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) In a rich country.
(b) With her mother.
(c) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(d) At a unsafe location.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
2. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
3. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
4. How much food did Lao and Mantze have at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
5. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)