|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) On the streets begging.
(b) At her old house cleaning floors.
(c) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(d) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
2. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To have a son.
(b) To keep him drug free.
(c) To watch him.
(d) To help him as his illness progresses.
3. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Creepy with weird noises.
(b) Infested with bugs.
(c) Small but pretty.
(d) Huge with hundreds living there.
4. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Fixes them.
(b) Wears them.
(c) Sells them.
(d) Burns them.
5. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To toll a god out.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To take money.
(d) To settle a dispute.
6. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(b) On the riverboat.
(c) With Mrs. Burns.
7. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(c) Family bibles.
(d) An infant.
8. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Yuntze.
(d) Mrs. Lan.
9. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) She can build a home life of her own.
(b) They pay a living wage.
(c) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(d) They know the laws.
10. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) Her husband left her.
(b) Her mother abandoned her.
(c) She got married.
(d) She had a son.
11. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) With Mantze's cousin.
(b) On the streets.
(c) With Lao.
(d) At his employer's house.
12. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) Food wasted.
(b) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
(c) A government destroying records.
(d) People fleeing the country.
13. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Giving and secretive.
(b) Harsh and demanding.
(c) Kind and sweet.
(d) Odd and mystical.
14. What does Lao say about working for foreign missionaries?
(a) They will not allow their maids to leave.
(b) It is easier than working for Chinese families.
(c) They do not pay decent wages.
(d) It is harder to watch their children.
15. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to create a scene.
(b) Not to eat from street workers.
(c) Not to ask for money.
(d) Not to become a Christian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of demands did foreign families have for their maids?
2. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
3. Initially, how long was Mantze allowed to be with Lao at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
4. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
5. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)