|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Lao's husband.
2. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
3. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Wears them.
(b) Burns them.
(c) Fixes them.
(d) Sells them.
4. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Major Liu and his family.
(b) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(c) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(d) Both of Major Liu's wives.
5. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) No other servants.
(b) Young servants.
(c) Unhelpful servants.
(d) Cruel servants.
6. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
7. While Mantze lives with her husband, what did her husband bring home?
(b) Another child.
8. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To take money.
(b) To toll a god out.
(c) To eat dinner.
(d) To settle a dispute.
9. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) In a stable.
(b) With an opium-addicted woman.
(c) Away from home.
(d) At a bar.
10. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She goes to jail.
(c) She disappears.
(d) She enters a hospital.
11. What did Lao's mistress at Ch'ien Lao-yeh's tell her?
(a) Not to eat from street workers.
(b) Not to create a scene.
(c) Not to become a Christian.
(d) Not to ask for money.
12. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He died.
(b) He went to jail.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He found a job.
13. What did Mantze learn at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
(a) To cheat and steal.
(b) To scrub and cook.
(c) To iron and clean.
(d) To sew and read.
14. Where did Lao take a job in 1899?
(a) On the riverboat.
(d) With Mrs. Burns.
15. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
(a) He loves it.
(b) There is not enough money for it.
(c) There are too many people in attendance.
(d) He did not get good gifts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation was Ch'ien Lao-yeh to Lao?
2. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
3. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
4. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
5. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)