|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of woman was Old Mistress Chang?
(a) Odd and mystical.
(b) Kind and sweet.
(c) Giving and secretive.
(d) Harsh and demanding.
2. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) In a stable.
(b) At a bar.
(c) Away from home.
(d) With an opium-addicted woman.
3. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, what did the Japanese do?
(a) Bomb the city.
(b) Visit the area.
(c) Spread disease.
(d) Warn the country.
4. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(b) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(c) They demand more without paying more.
(d) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
5. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) In a rich country.
(b) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(c) With her mother.
(d) At a unsafe location.
6. Why was Lao sometimes unhappy at Major Liu's house?
(a) She needed to return to her husband.
(b) She did not make enough money.
(c) She worried about Mantze.
(d) She was often scolded.
7. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
(a) Lao's parents.
(b) Li Yuntze's parents.
(c) Lao and her friends.
(d) Lao's parents.
8. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(c) Mrs. Burns.
(d) Each other.
9. What did the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house do?
(a) Stole money for alcohol.
(b) Baked with the servants.
(c) Smoked lots of opium.
(d) Had affairs.
10. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
(a) He loves it.
(b) There are too many people in attendance.
(c) He did not get good gifts.
(d) There is not enough money for it.
11. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) Equal rights.
(b) Her own hands.
(c) A well-kept home.
(d) A family of her own.
12. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
(b) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(c) Major Liu and his family.
(d) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
13. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They left the house immediately.
(b) They were vaccinated.
(c) They did contract smallpox.
(d) They have already had smallpox.
14. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) The shaman was called.
(b) Lao was called to intervene.
(c) Another wife was called to help.
(d) The master leaves.
15. How were Lao's household duties at Chang the Chen T'ai's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
2. What best describes Lao's time with Major Liu and his family?
3. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
4. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
5. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)