|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She goes to jail.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She enters a hospital.
(d) She disappears.
2. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) On the streets.
(b) With Lao.
(c) At his employer's house.
(d) With Mantze's cousin.
3. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They demand more without paying more.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(d) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
4. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(b) An infant.
5. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They keep secrets.
(b) They have very little money.
(c) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(d) They have been in the law for generations.
6. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(b) A safe job.
(c) Money for an education.
(d) A living space of her own.
7. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) People fleeing the country.
(b) Food wasted.
(c) A government destroying records.
(d) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
8. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
(a) At a high point.
(c) Sickening him.
9. What kind of other servants lived with Lao at Major Liu's house?
(a) Unhelpful servants.
(b) No other servants.
(c) Young servants.
(d) Cruel servants.
10. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
(a) Mantze brushes her hair.
(b) Mantze reads to her.
(c) Mantze cleans her room.
(d) Mantze tells her she wants to be with her.
11. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A district magistrate.
(b) A government official.
(c) A gatekeeper.
(d) A sworn father.
12. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
13. What did Chang the Chen T'ai's first wife do?
(a) She raises the sons.
(b) She tends the land.
(c) Sheis a sworn mother.
(d) She is dead.
14. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To have a son.
(b) To help him as his illness progresses.
(c) To watch him.
(d) To keep him drug free.
15. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To settle a dispute.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To toll a god out.
(d) To take money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
2. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
4. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
5. In 1901, what did Lao want for Mantze?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)