|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(b) A family marriage.
(c) A loving marriage.
(d) A sham.
2. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
(a) Her husband left her.
(b) Her mother abandoned her.
(c) She got married.
(d) She had a son.
3. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Small but pretty.
(b) Huge with hundreds living there.
(c) Creepy with weird noises.
(d) Infested with bugs.
4. In 1901, what happened to Li Yuntze?
(a) He started bringing food home to Lao.
(b) He spoke to the police.
(c) He was locked away to cure him of his opium addiction.
(d) He tried to file for a divorce.
5. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They demand more without paying more.
(b) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
(c) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(d) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
6. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She enters a hospital.
(d) She goes to jail.
7. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(b) To earn Lao's trust.
(c) Because he had extra money for more workers.
(d) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
8. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) With an opium-addicted woman.
(b) Away from home.
(c) In a stable.
(d) At a bar.
9. In 1901, what happened to Lao?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) She gave birth to another daughter.
(c) She was evicted from her home.
(d) She got hurt at work.
10. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
(b) Sickening him.
(d) At a high point.
11. What did Mantze's husband think about his wedding?
(a) There is not enough money for it.
(b) He loves it.
(c) He did not get good gifts.
(d) There are too many people in attendance.
12. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(b) At her old house cleaning floors.
(c) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(d) On the streets begging.
13. What did Li Yuntze do with a pair of shoes entrusted to him?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Fixes them.
(c) Wears them.
(d) Sells them.
14. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
(a) To help him as his illness progresses.
(b) To watch him.
(c) To have a son.
(d) To keep him drug free.
15. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
(a) Left the home of her employer.
(b) Divorced her husband.
(c) Kept Mantze's new job.
(d) Moved Mantze out of her school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
2. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
3. Who rented a home for Mantze and her husband?
4. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
5. How did Lao feel at the end of the day while employed by Mrs. Burns?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)