|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where could Mantze not learn to be a good servant for her future mother-in-law?
(a) In a house where the food is provided by others.
(b) At a unsafe location.
(c) With her mother.
(d) In a rich country.
2. During the New Year's holiday of 1895, where did Lao get temporary work?
(a) With the Lius at a new business venture.
(b) For the Yin family at the Shou Pei.
(c) At her old house cleaning floors.
(d) On the streets begging.
3. After Lao delivered a son, what happened to her husband?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He found a job.
(c) He went to jail.
(d) He died.
4. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(b) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
(c) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(d) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
5. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(a) Silver coins.
6. What did Lao share about Ch'ien Lao-yeh's family?
(a) They have been in the law for generations.
(b) They are thiefs who run from authorities.
(c) They have very little money.
(d) They keep secrets.
7. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(a) Family bibles.
(c) An infant.
8. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
(a) On the streets.
(b) With Lao.
(c) With Mantze's cousin.
(d) At his employer's house.
9. What did Lao witness in Newchang?
(a) A government destroying records.
(b) Food wasted.
(c) The carnage of an accident from a ship.
(d) People fleeing the country.
10. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
(a) A safe job.
(b) Money for an education.
(c) A suitable husband for Mantze.
(d) A living space of her own.
11. What does Lao Say most Chinese families expect of their maids?
(a) For wet-nurses.
(b) Free labor.
(c) For them to live in their homes.
(d) To keep them for life.
12. What best describes Lao's employers at Major Liu's house?
(a) Indifferent and quiet.
(b) Selfish and hurtful.
(c) Easy-going and kind.
(d) Cruel and mean.
13. Why did Major Liu give Mantze and Lao food and time?
(a) Because he felt sad that Lao took care of his sick family.
(b) To earn Lao's trust.
(c) So Mantze will recover from smallpox.
(d) Because he had extra money for more workers.
14. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A district magistrate.
(b) A gatekeeper.
(c) A sworn father.
(d) A government official.
15. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They were vaccinated.
(b) They did contract smallpox.
(c) They have already had smallpox.
(d) They left the house immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
2. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
3. In 1899, how was Lao's husband's opium use?
4. How doid Mantze charm the Third Mistress?
5. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)