|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did a shaman come to Chang the Chen T'ai's house one day?
(a) To take money.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To settle a dispute.
(d) To toll a god out.
2. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
(a) They left the house immediately.
(b) They did contract smallpox.
(c) They were vaccinated.
(d) They have already had smallpox.
3. In 1899, who leased the house Lao lives in?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Lao's husband.
4. How many wives did Chang the Chen T'ai have?
5. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(d) Silver coins.
6. What describes Mantze's marriage?
(b) A loving marriage.
(c) A sham.
(d) A family marriage.
7. What did Liu Ma promise concerning Lao?
(a) To take care of her children since Lao cannot.
(b) To keep her job while she is gone.
(c) To care for her as a mother would.
(d) To give will her money when she dies.
8. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
(a) She enters a hospital.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She goes to jail.
(d) She runs away.
9. At Major Liu's house, whom did Lao live with?
(a) Major Liu's second wife and her children.
(b) Major Liu and his family.
(c) Both of Major Liu's wives.
(d) Lao lived in the servant's house, alone.
10. Why did Liu Ma become Lao's "sworn mother"?
(a) Lao needs help with Mantze.
(b) The sworn mother has devious reasons.
(c) Lao's former mistress wants her to have one.
(d) The sworn mother knew Lao's birth mother.
11. What kind of demands did Chinese families have for their maids?
(a) They demand more without paying more.
(b) They have fewer demands of their maids than foreign missionaries.
(c) They are willing to pay more when they demand more.
(d) They have standard demands-the same everywhere.
12. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu's family.
(b) Major Liu.
13. After employment with Change the Chen, where did Lao work?
(a) At a bar.
(b) Away from home.
(c) In a stable.
(d) With an opium-addicted woman.
14. Who nurses Lao and Mantze's babies?
(c) Each other.
(d) Mrs. Burns.
15. What benefit does Lao say she has from working for a Chinese family?
(a) She can build a home life of her own.
(b) They know the laws.
(c) They encourage her husband to stay with her.
(d) They pay a living wage.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
2. What did Lao find when Mantze is 12?
3. What decision did Lao have to make concerning her employment with Chang the Chen T'ai?
4. Who helped with Mantze's wedding?
5. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)