|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh qualified as?
(a) A government official.
(b) A district magistrate.
(c) A gatekeeper.
(d) A sworn father.
2. While working for Mrs. Burns, how did Lao keep her house?
(a) She trusts Mantze to care for it.
(b) She never cleans it.
(c) She does not have a house.
(d) She spends a great deal of money on it.
3. At Major Liu's house, who contracted smallpox?
(a) Major Liu.
(c) Major Liu's family.
4. Who was Mantze's midwife?
(a) Mrs. Burns.
(b) Mrs. Chang.
(c) Mrs. Yuntze.
(d) Mrs. Lan.
5. What kind of man was Chang the Chen T'ai?
(a) A loyal patrolman.
(b) A dishonest businessman.
(c) A greedy chef.
(d) A high military official.
6. What did Lao take to the home of Liu Ma?
(b) An infant.
(c) Family bibles.
7. What condition did Mantze's husband leave her in?
8. Why did Mantze not deliver her child at Lao's home?
(a) Lao did not want Mantze there.
(b) It was tradition that a child not be born where a duck has flown low.
(c) It was tradition that a child not be born in the home of a maternal grandmother.
(d) Lao's house was too small.
9. What does Lao say about working for foreign missionaries?
(a) They will not allow their maids to leave.
(b) They do not pay decent wages.
(c) It is harder to watch their children.
(d) It is easier than working for Chinese families.
10. What did Lao do when Mantze is 15?
(a) Moved Mantze out of her school.
(b) Left the home of her employer.
(c) Divorced her husband.
(d) Kept Mantze's new job.
11. What was Ch'ien Lao-yeh's house like?
(a) Huge with hundreds living there.
(b) Creepy with weird noises.
(c) Infested with bugs.
(d) Small but pretty.
12. What happened when two wives quarrel over Chang the Chen T'ai's favor one day?
(a) Lao was called to intervene.
(b) The master leaves.
(c) Another wife was called to help.
(d) The shaman was called.
13. What did Lao and her husband do for Mantze's husband?
(a) Got him out of jail.
(b) Put him on a boat.
(c) Gave him a house.
(d) Found him a job.
14. What did Lao believe is the only thing a woman has?
(a) A well-kept home.
(b) Equal rights.
(c) A family of her own.
(d) Her own hands.
15. What did Mantze's mother-in-law send for Mantze's baby?
(a) Silver coins.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1901, what happened with Mantze?
2. Why did Major Liu's family not contract smallpox?
3. In 1899, where did Lao's husband live?
4. What happens to the bride of the oldest son of Major Liu's house?
5. In 1899, why did Lao share a pallet with her husband?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)