|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Yintze's parents react in such a way as Yintze left their visits?
(a) The parents knew she should return home.
(b) The parents disliked visiting with Yintze.
(c) The parents wanted to feed Yintze more food.
(d) The parents felt as if they could do nothing.
2. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a dog?
(a) A dog kept her company.
(b) A dog cannot be inside a house.
(c) A dog in a courtyard is bad luck.
(d) A dog in a courtyard is good luck.
3. At 13, what did Lao's parents teach her?
(a) Household duties.
(c) Science and astronomy.
(d) Religious beliefs.
4. After Lao's father's business failed, why did he not show himself to the village when he returned?
(a) He owed people money.
(b) He hurt his wife.
(c) He gave outsiders information about the village.
(d) He belonged in jail.
5. What eventually happened to Fats'ali's mother?
(a) She returned to Lao's home.
(b) She died.
(c) She had another boy.
(d) She remarried.
6. Why did Lao return to the home of her husband?
(a) Lao did not know how to beg.
(b) Lao's parents had no money.
(c) Lao and her sister caused their parents too much grief.
(d) Lao's parents did not want her.
7. How old was Lao when her father first saw her?
8. Why did Wen Chuan attend school as a child?
(a) He showed superb academic skills early.
(b) His uncles sent him to school with his cousins.
(c) The school taught solid trades.
(d) His uncle honored his father's wishes.
9. How often did Lao visit her parents while she was married?
(a) Twice a year.
(d) Once a day.
10. How did Lao feel about the wife of her husband's cousin living with her?
11. Why did Lao visit her parents after she was married?
(a) Her sister needed help.
(b) They missed her.
(c) She sneaked them food.
(d) It was tradition.
12. How did Wen Chuan's schooling affect him?
(a) It gave him an inflated ego.
(b) It made him prepared for life.
(c) It made him ill prepared for life.
(d) It provided an opportunity to do opium.
13. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a tame goose?
(a) The goose must cross paths with a black cat.
(b) Nothing, she mentions a duck.
(c) A goose flying away from a courtyard means an decrease in fortune.
(d) The goose thought it was a dog.
14. When Lao returned to the home of her parents while pregnant, what did she plan to do?
(a) Steal their money.
(b) Clean for them.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Learn to beg.
15. What is the title of the prologue?
(a) Keeping Life.
(b) Family and Heartache.
(c) The City.
(d) Sharing Memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of life did Lao's mother lead as a youngster?
2. What did Yintze do when her visits with the parents came to an end?
3. What legend happened to Lao's family?
4. What was Lao's husband by trade?
5. Where did Lao and her family live by?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)