|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lived with Lao at her husband's house?
(a) Lao's sister.
(b) Another family.
(c) The wife of her husband's cousin.
(d) Only her husband.
2. What do the traditions Lao carried out during the woman's dying days ensure?
(a) That she will have a safe and speedy passage.
(b) That she will live again.
(c) That she will not go to the devil.
(d) That she will see her loved ones again.
3. What did the Chu family own?
(b) A garden.
4. What job did Lao's father have in a store?
(a) Cleaning the sidewalks.
(b) Keeping books.
(c) Selling feed.
(d) Working as a clerk.
5. How did Fats'ai's mother think her son died?
(a) That he died of smallpox.
(b) That Lao "frightened him to death."
(c) That the doctor misdiagnosed him.
(d) That he ran into traffic.
6. By the time Lao was born, what had happened to her family's finances?
(a) The family hid it from the government.
(b) The family squandered the inheritance.
(c) They gave money to religious organizations.
(d) The finances had grown.
7. What information concerning stories and legends does Lao state about a dog?
(a) A dog cannot be inside a house.
(b) A dog in a courtyard is good luck.
(c) A dog in a courtyard is bad luck.
(d) A dog kept her company.
8. What sort of life did Lao's mother lead as a youngster?
(a) She lived a depressing life.
(b) She was part of the elite.
(c) She lived a sheltered life.
(d) She was a slave.
9. How old was Lao when her father first saw her?
10. Whom did Lao often play with at her husband's?
(d) Fats'ai and the other children.
11. Why did Lao return to the home of her husband?
(a) Lao's parents had no money.
(b) Lao did not know how to beg.
(c) Lao and her sister caused their parents too much grief.
(d) Lao's parents did not want her.
12. How did Lao feel about the wife of her husband's cousin living with her?
13. What information concerning stories and legends did Lao state about a cat?
(a) The cat killed a child.
(b) A cat in a courtyard is bad luck.
(c) A cat in a courtyard is good luck.
(d) The cat cannot be in a kitchen.
14. At 13, what did Lao's parents do to her?
(a) Changed her to smaller shoes.
(b) Changed her bedroom.
(c) Changed her hairstyle.
(d) Changed the length of her dresses.
15. How did Wen Chuan's schooling affect him?
(a) It made him prepared for life.
(b) It provided an opportunity to do opium.
(c) It gave him an inflated ego.
(d) It made him ill prepared for life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of events happened in the village, according to Lao?
2. Who raised Lao's father?
3. What happened the first time Lao's feet were bound?
4. What did the neighbors do concerning Lao and Fats'ai's mother's relationship after Fats'ai's death?
5. What was Lao's husband by trade?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)