Book One, Pages 1-38
• Lao was born and lived most of her life in the area of P'englai.
• Lao's father was educated, but had squandered a family fortune by the time Lao was born.
• Neighbors criticized Lao's mother for her poor housekeeping and financial skills.
• Lao explained several stories and legends that focus on luck and fortune.
• Lao's parents began binding her feet when she was seven.
• Years later, her parents changed her hairstyle and taught her household duties of cooking and sewing.
• At thirteen, she was no longer allowed out of the house alone.
• Lao and her sister were married by age fifteen.
• Yinkze's mother-in-law treated her poorly.
• Yintze eventually goes crazy, leaves her home and wanders the streets.
• A relative found Yintze and returned her to her parents' home.
• Lao was married in 1881 to a member of the Ning clan who owned a fishing boat and...
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)