|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wound does Lord Highcastle sustain when he is in the hills above his advance position?
2. What creature fed Ashen-Shugar when he was an infant left exposed atop the rocks?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how long has it been since Guy slept?
4. Why are elves at Stone Mountain when Martin arrives?
5. What creature do Pug and Tomas encounter in the tower on the island, encircled by a ring of fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Edder Forest?
2. What happened when a huge battering ram was rammed against the southern gate of the city?
3. What does Arutha think about Lord Highcastle and his hospitality?
4. Describe the siege engines that appear to look like giant black spiders.
5. What answer does Arutha given when Murmandamus comes to allow them to surrender and leave the city?
6. Why does Guy believe that Murmandamus plans on taking Armengar in four weeks?
7. What does Arutha show Lord Highcastle at the beginning of Chapter 17?
8. Why does Lord Highcastle refuse to join Arutha and evacuate to Sethanon?
9. What happened to Ryath?
10. What do giants look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The color black is frequently used in the novel to refer to evil. Explain the symbolism behind the color black in the novel. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses foreshadowing to give the reader clues of what is to come in the novel. Discuss how the author uses foreshadowing and the effectiveness of this technique.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the novel, explain how the author uses conflict in "A Darkness at Sethanon" to advance the plot.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)