|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jenkins run into after leaving the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(b) His father.
2. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Having to spend a weekend with Quiggin around.
(b) Being passed over for a promotion.
(c) Having done something seemingly illegal.
(d) His mother's failing health.
3. At the beginning of "A Buyer's Market", what event does Jenkins attend?
(a) A play.
(b) A garden party.
(c) An estate sale.
(d) A housewarming.
4. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
(a) A mention on the society pages.
(b) Exclusion from parties.
(c) Losing her upperclass friends.
(d) Some good gossip.
5. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Barbara put off dancing with at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
3. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. When Widmerpool and Jenkins meet in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market", who does Widmerpool bring up as a topic of conversation?
5. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenkins attend in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What relieves Jenkins at the event?
2. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
3. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
4. What does Thompsitt ask Jenkins as they leave the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"? What does Jenkins think Thompsitt has realized?
5. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
6. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
7. After meeting Barbara Goring, what does Jenkins worry about?
8. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
9. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
10. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)