|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Barbara's surname?
2. Who does Truscott suggest Widmerpool should meet with?
(a) The party's host.
(b) His sister.
(c) Sir Magus.
3. Who is the hostess of the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Jenkins do when Barbara asks him to attend a dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Tries to make up an excuse.
(b) Volunteers to bring some wine.
(c) Asks to bring a friend along.
(d) Cancels his other plans.
5. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jenkins know his feelings for Barbara are cooling?
2. Who arrives at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" causing a twinge of dismay in Jenkins?
3. When does Stringham say his wedding will take place?
4. What does Jenkins note about the location of the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What is Lady Walpole-Wilson's relation to Barbara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
2. Why does the topic of conversation turn to Gypsy when Jenkins and Widmerpool meet at the Waldpole-Wilsons' estate?
3. What does Barnby tell Jenkins about Deacon when they meet?
4. As Jenkins and his acquaintances are having coffee in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market", who comes along with an invitation for them?
5. Who is Ralph Barnby?
6. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
7. When speaking to Widmerpool after the dance, what does Jenkins say he is doing to earn a living? What does Windmerpool think of Jenkins' employment?
8. After the sugar incident, what does Jenkins realize about Barbara?
9. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
10. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)