|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one topic of conversation at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Barbara's plans for a holiday in Italy.
(b) A traffic detour in the west end.
(c) The latest films playing.
(d) Plans to build a statue.
2. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) His mother's failing health.
(b) Having done something seemingly illegal.
(c) Having to spend a weekend with Quiggin around.
(d) Being passed over for a promotion.
3. How does Jenkins know his feelings for Barbara are cooling?
(a) He finds speaking to her to be a bore.
(b) He doesn't think of her very often.
(c) He doesn't feel jealousy anymore.
(d) His heart doesn't pound when he sees her.
4. What does Eleanor have a great interest in?
5. Who or what does Thompsitt ask Jenkins about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(b) The Worepole-Wilsons.
(c) Jenkins' father.
(d) Whether Jenkins has any money to invest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ralph's occupation?
2. Where does Jenkins say he is living in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where does Stringham say he is going to attend a party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. What does Jenkins note Deacon had not particularly liked?
5. What event does Deacon put on in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Deacon's death?
2. How do Jenkins and Widmerpool react to the news of Barbara's engagement?
3. In Jenkins' eyes, what makes Eleanor different from the other society girls?
4. When does Jenkins realize his feelings for Barbara must be cooling?
5. Who is Ralph Barnby?
6. What does Truscott suggest when he meets Widmerpool?
7. Who is Max Pilgrim? Why do he and Deacon argue in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
8. What does Barbara do to embarrass herself and Windmerpool at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
9. What happens on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market" which confuses Jenkins?
10. Who does Jenkins encounter as he is leaving the party in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)