|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Having to spend a weekend with Quiggin around.
(b) His mother's failing health.
(c) Being passed over for a promotion.
(d) Having done something seemingly illegal.
2. Who owns the building Ralph lives in?
3. What is the title of the flyers Deacon and Gypsy distribute?
(a) Walk with Jesus.
(b) War Never Pays.
(c) Support Your Community - Buy Local!
(d) The Principles of Communism.
4. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
(a) Losing her upperclass friends.
(b) Some good gossip.
(c) Exclusion from parties.
(d) A mention on the society pages.
5. What does Deacon ask Jenkins about when they meet on the street in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Jenkins' housing situation.
(b) Jenkins' girlfriend.
(c) Jenkins' religious affiliation.
(d) Jenkins' parents.
6. Who is Jenkins relieved to hear is out of the country in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(c) His father.
7. Who does Jenkins meet again at Deacon's event?
8. What does Eleanor find tedious and boring?
(a) Society events.
(c) Jenkins' company.
(d) Country life.
9. What does Widmerpool say about Jenkins' employment?
(a) It must leave him wanting for money.
(b) It sounds fulfilling.
(c) He should aim to take over the place.
(d) It doesn't seem to have a promising future.
10. Where does Deacon invite Jenkins to go with him and Gypsy in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) To a party.
(b) For coffee.
(c) For dinner.
(d) To a market.
11. Who is the hostess of the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
12. How does Barbara cut through Jenkins' shyness when they meet?
(a) She urges him to ask her to dance.
(b) She gives him a hug.
(c) She pretends they have met before.
(d) She provokes him into anger.
13. What is Ralph's surname?
14. What does Eleanor have a great interest in?
15. What is Ralph's occupation?
(a) He is a college professor.
(b) He is a musician.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is a journalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pilgrim argue with at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Where did Jenkins' family once encounter Deacon?
3. What does Barbara accidentally pour over someone's head?
4. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
5. What does Widmerpool do at the firm he works for?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)