|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jenkins relieved is not the subject of ridicule in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. Where does Deacon invite Jenkins to go with him and Gypsy in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) For coffee.
(b) To a party.
(c) For dinner.
(d) To a market.
3. What does Widmerpool do at the firm he works for?
(a) He is an accountant.
(b) He is an advisor.
(c) He is an banker.
(d) He is a solicitor.
4. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) A thuggish man.
(b) The unsanitary conditions.
(c) The loud music.
(d) Having to buy everyone drinks.
5. To whom does Jenkins compare Deacon?
(c) Le Bas.
6. What is Ralph's surname?
7. What firm does Widmerpool now work for in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Barnes, Huddle and Stuart.
(b) Goddard and Beachcroft.
(c) Turnbull, Welford and Puckering.
8. What is Lady Walpole-Wilson's relation to Barbara?
(a) Barbara is her sister-in-law.
(b) Barbara is her daughter.
(c) Barbara is her niece.
(d) Barbara is her granddaughter.
9. Who or what does Thompsitt ask Jenkins about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Whether Jenkins has any money to invest.
(b) Jenkins' father.
(d) The Worepole-Wilsons.
10. What is one topic of conversation at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Plans to build a statue.
(b) Barbara's plans for a holiday in Italy.
(c) A traffic detour in the west end.
(d) The latest films playing.
11. Who does Pilgrim argue with at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
12. What word does Lady Walpole-Wilson use to describe Barbara?
13. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
14. What does Eleanor find tedious and boring?
(a) Society events.
(c) Country life.
(d) Jenkins' company.
15. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
(a) Losing her upperclass friends.
(b) Some good gossip.
(c) Exclusion from parties.
(d) A mention on the society pages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Widmerpool and Jenkins meet in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market", who does Widmerpool bring up as a topic of conversation?
2. What does Jenkins begin to incessantly worry about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Where do the Walpole-Wilsons live?
4. What is Widmerpool worried about in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
5. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)