|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one topic of conversation at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Plans to build a statue.
(b) Barbara's plans for a holiday in Italy.
(c) The latest films playing.
(d) A traffic detour in the west end.
2. What is Ralph's occupation?
(a) He is a musician.
(b) He is a journalist.
(c) He is an artist.
(d) He is a college professor.
3. How does Stringham begin to act at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
4. When does Stringham say his wedding will take place?
5. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
6. Who is Jenkins relieved to hear is out of the country in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(c) His father.
7. Who does Barbara put off dancing with at the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(b) Lord Worpole-Wilson.
8. What does Jenkins begin to incessantly worry about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) His financial situation.
(b) His career.
(d) Giles' health.
9. How does Barbara cut through Jenkins' shyness when they meet?
(a) She pretends they have met before.
(b) She urges him to ask her to dance.
(c) She gives him a hug.
(d) She provokes him into anger.
10. Who is Stringham engaged to in Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
11. Who or what does Thompsitt ask Jenkins about in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(b) Jenkins' father.
(c) The Worepole-Wilsons.
(d) Whether Jenkins has any money to invest.
12. What does Eleanor find tedious and boring?
(a) Country life.
(c) Society events.
(d) Jenkins' company.
13. Who does Truscott suggest Widmerpool should meet with?
(a) Sir Magus.
(c) The party's host.
(d) His sister.
14. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
15. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Having to buy everyone drinks.
(b) The loud music.
(c) A thuggish man.
(d) The unsanitary conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Barbara's surname?
2. Who introduces Barbara to Jenkins?
3. How does Jenkins know his feelings for Barbara are cooling?
4. What is Gypsy's surname?
5. What event does Deacon put on in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)