|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one topic of conversation at the dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) The latest films playing.
(b) Plans to build a statue.
(c) A traffic detour in the west end.
(d) Barbara's plans for a holiday in Italy.
2. What does Jenkins do when Barbara asks him to attend a dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Volunteers to bring some wine.
(b) Tries to make up an excuse.
(c) Asks to bring a friend along.
(d) Cancels his other plans.
3. What does Jenkins think about Eleanor is Chapter 3 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) She is in love with Quiggin.
(b) She is becoming selfish.
(c) She is somewhat attractive.
(d) She is losing her mind.
4. Why does Widmerpool decline to be introduced to someone by Truscott at the party?
(a) He thinks Truscott playing a prank on him.
(b) He isn't interested in meeting them.
(c) He has had too much to drink.
(d) He has to leave the party.
5. What is Lady Walpole-Wilson's relation to Barbara?
(a) Barbara is her daughter.
(b) Barbara is her niece.
(c) Barbara is her granddaughter.
(d) Barbara is her sister-in-law.
6. What does Eleanor have a great interest in?
7. What does Deacon ask Jenkins about when they meet on the street in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Jenkins' girlfriend.
(b) Jenkins' religious affiliation.
(c) Jenkins' housing situation.
(d) Jenkins' parents.
8. To whom does Jenkins compare Deacon?
(c) Le Bas.
9. What does Jenkins think is pressed against him on the way to the dance in Chapter 1 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) A hand.
(b) A shoulder.
(c) A foot.
(d) A breast.
10. Who owns the house Jenkins is at in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
(a) Bob Durbin.
(b) Bob Duport.
(c) Bob Dufresne.
(d) Bob Ducre.
11. What does Jenkins note Barbara's horseplay will result in?
(a) A mention on the society pages.
(b) Some good gossip.
(c) Exclusion from parties.
(d) Losing her upperclass friends.
12. What does Jenkins learn is Widmerpool's first name?
13. How does Stringham begin to act at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
14. Who leaves the party early in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
15. What does Widmerpool say about Jenkins' employment?
(a) It doesn't seem to have a promising future.
(b) It sounds fulfilling.
(c) He should aim to take over the place.
(d) It must leave him wanting for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pilgrim argue with at the party in Chapter 2 of "A Buyer's Market"?
2. What is Deacon bothered by in a club in Chapter 4 of "A Buyer's Market"?
3. Who owns the building Ralph lives in?
4. What does Jenkins note Deacon had not particularly liked?
5. Who do Jenkins and Widmerpool find out is engaged at the end of "A Buyer's Market"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)