|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
(a) His father's recent death.
(b) His financial situation.
(c) His failing grades.
(d) His weight.
2. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
(a) A bread crisis.
(b) A potato crisis.
(c) A meat crisis.
(d) A jam crisis.
3. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(c) Widmerpool is often alone.
(d) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
4. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
5. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
(a) As raunchy.
(b) As earthy.
(c) As aggressive.
(d) As soothing.
6. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
(a) An investment.
(b) A football match.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) A woman.
7. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is intimidated by her.
(b) He is irritated by her.
(c) He is attracted to her.
(d) He is bored by her.
8. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
9. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The influence his parents had on him.
(b) The mistakes he made.
(c) The reason he ended up where he has.
(d) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
10. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
(a) As strict.
(b) As old.
(c) As generous.
(d) As beautiful.
11. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A pan.
(b) A can opener.
(c) A measuring cup.
(d) A hot plate.
12. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is homesick.
13. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) A death.
(c) An accident.
(d) A girl.
14. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
(a) He is an informal counsellor.
(b) He is the advisor to the student council.
(c) He is a junior dean.
(d) He is a party planner.
15. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
(a) His coat.
(b) His scarf.
(c) His shorts.
(d) His hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
2. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
4. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)