|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
(a) He is homesick.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is ill.
2. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is intimidated by her.
(b) He is bored by her.
(c) He is attracted to her.
(d) He is irritated by her.
3. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A fire.
(b) A painting.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A photo album.
4. What is La Grenadiere?
(a) A resort.
(b) A hotel.
(c) An island.
(d) A ship.
5. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
(b) Conan Doyle.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
6. Who is Parkinson?
(a) The headmaster.
(b) The groundkeeper.
(c) The director of games.
(d) The housemaster.
7. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
8. What does Jenkins think is a part of Farebrother's persona?
(a) His colorful vocabulary.
(b) His long anecdotes.
(c) His forgetfulness.
(d) His threadbare suits.
9. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(b) Widmerpool is often alone.
(c) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(d) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The mistakes he made.
(b) The influence his parents had on him.
(c) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(d) The reason he ended up where he has.
11. When Jenkins joins Stringham for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing", what crisis does Stringham refer to?
(a) A meat crisis.
(b) A potato crisis.
(c) A jam crisis.
(d) A bread crisis.
12. What does Le Bas find which gets Templer kicked out of school in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A plagiarized exam paper.
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A tobacco pouch.
13. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Lend him some money.
(b) Contact his father on Giles' behalf.
(c) Consider transferring to another school.
(d) Meet him for dinner.
14. What is Stringham's unmarried sister named?
15. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. Who is offered the position with Sir Magnus Donner?
3. Where is Stringham's mother from?
4. What is Widmerpool doing when Jenkins first encounters him in "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What does Giles do while visiting the dormitory which could get Jenkins in trouble?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)