|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
(a) He is the advisor to the student council.
(b) He is a junior dean.
(c) He is a party planner.
(d) He is an informal counsellor.
2. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(c) Widmerpool is often alone.
(d) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
3. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) He is ill.
4. Who is Parkinson?
(a) The headmaster.
(b) The director of games.
(c) The groundkeeper.
(d) The housemaster.
5. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Chicken pot pie.
6. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
(a) To pick berries.
(b) To hunt for butterflies.
(c) To paint the scenery.
(d) To get away from the students.
7. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A fire.
(b) A painting.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A photo album.
8. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
(a) His shorts.
(b) His scarf.
(c) His hat.
(d) His coat.
9. At school, what does Sillers often organize in the afternoon?
(a) Tea service.
(b) Billiards tournaments.
(c) Card games.
(d) Study groups.
10. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
11. Why is Farebrother at Stringham's home?
(a) To purchase the property.
(b) To visit Stringham's grandfather.
(c) To drop off his wife.
(d) To talk business.
12. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(b) The mistakes he made.
(c) The influence his parents had on him.
(d) The reason he ended up where he has.
13. What do the boys see one day as they walk past the police station?
(a) A drunk in handcuffs.
(b) A wanted poster.
(c) A fist fight.
(d) A lost dog.
14. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
15. What does Giles do while visiting the dormitory which could get Jenkins in trouble?
(a) Rearranges the furniture.
(b) Lights a cigarette.
(c) Plays loud music.
(d) Brings in alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
3. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. Who does Parkinson commend in the meeting he calls in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)