|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) He is feeling ill.
(b) He sees a girl he likes.
(c) He has been invited to a party.
(d) He has to meet his mother's train.
2. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
3. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Chicken pot pie.
4. What is the name of Stringham's step-father?
5. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
(a) The author of a novel.
(b) The author of a poem.
(c) The author of a play.
(d) The author of a quotation.
6. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Contact his father on Giles' behalf.
(b) Lend him some money.
(c) Consider transferring to another school.
(d) Meet him for dinner.
7. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A girl.
(b) A death.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) An accident.
8. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
(a) As earthy.
(b) As soothing.
(c) As raunchy.
(d) As aggressive.
9. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He is homesick.
10. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
(a) Their car loses a tire.
(b) Their car gets stuck in a ditch.
(c) Their car hits a tree.
(d) Their car is hit by another car.
11. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(c) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(d) Widmerpool is often alone.
12. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Conan Doyle.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
13. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
(a) Le Bas.
14. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(b) The mistakes he made.
(c) The influence his parents had on him.
(d) The reason he ended up where he has.
15. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(d) Le Bas.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. What does Jenkins think is a part of Farebrother's persona?
3. What does Le Bas find which gets Templer kicked out of school in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
5. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)