|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is La Grenadiere?
(a) A ship.
(b) A resort.
(c) A hotel.
(d) An island.
2. Where does Templer say he was which caused him to be late in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) At a party.
(b) Having dinner with his father.
(c) Seeing a doctor.
(d) With a girl.
3. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
(a) His weight.
(b) His father's recent death.
(c) His failing grades.
(d) His financial situation.
4. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
(a) Giles is Jenkins' brother.
(b) Giles is Jenkins' cousin.
(c) Giles is Jenkins' godfather.
(d) Giles is Jenkins' uncle.
5. What does Le Bas find which gets Templer kicked out of school in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A tobacco pouch.
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A plagiarized exam paper.
6. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
7. What do Stringham and Jenkins borrow to prepare a meal in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A can opener.
(b) A hot plate.
(c) A measuring cup.
(d) A pan.
8. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) An investment.
(c) A woman.
(d) A football match.
9. What state is Jenkins in when he arrives at La Grenadiere?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is homesick.
(d) He is ill.
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The influence his parents had on him.
(b) The mistakes he made.
(c) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(d) The reason he ended up where he has.
11. What is Widmerpool doing when Jenkins first encounters him in "A Question of Upbringing"?
12. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
(a) Madame Lapierre.
(b) Madame Leroux.
(c) Madame Lapage.
(d) Madame Leroy.
13. What is Templer's first name?
14. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(c) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(d) Widmerpool is often alone.
15. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
(a) The author of a play.
(b) The author of a poem.
(c) The author of a quotation.
(d) The author of a novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
2. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
3. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
4. At school, what does Sillers often organize in the afternoon?
5. What is Stringham's unmarried sister named?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)