|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(c) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(d) Widmerpool is often alone.
2. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
(a) A speech.
(b) A song.
(c) A poem.
(d) A dance.
3. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(b) The reason he ended up where he has.
(c) The influence his parents had on him.
(d) The mistakes he made.
5. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
6. What does Jenkins identify the girl he likes at La Grenadiere by?
(a) Her sun hat.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her laugh.
(d) Her red hair.
7. What role does Sillers serve at the school?
(a) He is an informal counsellor.
(b) He is the advisor to the student council.
(c) He is a party planner.
(d) He is a junior dean.
8. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is bored by her.
(b) He is intimidated by her.
(c) He is attracted to her.
(d) He is irritated by her.
9. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
(a) To get away from the students.
(b) To hunt for butterflies.
(c) To pick berries.
(d) To paint the scenery.
10. What delays Stringham's return to school in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) An accident.
(b) A girl.
(c) A death.
(d) Bad weather.
11. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) About sixty.
(b) About seventy.
(c) About forty.
(d) About fifty.
12. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
(a) His scarf.
(b) His hat.
(c) His coat.
(d) His shorts.
13. What is the name of Stringham's step-father?
14. At school, what does Sillers often organize in the afternoon?
(a) Study groups.
(b) Card games.
(c) Tea service.
(d) Billiards tournaments.
15. Who is offered the position with Sir Magnus Donner?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Templer leave his evening with Jenkins early in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
2. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
3. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
4. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. With which of his schoolmates does Jenkins say he has most in common?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)