|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
(a) A football match.
(b) An investment.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) A woman.
2. Who leaves the school a short time after an arrest is made?
(b) Le Bas.
3. Why is Farebrother at Stringham's home?
(a) To drop off his wife.
(b) To purchase the property.
(c) To visit Stringham's grandfather.
(d) To talk business.
4. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
(a) Their car hits a tree.
(b) Their car loses a tire.
(c) Their car is hit by another car.
(d) Their car gets stuck in a ditch.
5. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
(a) The post office.
(b) The police station.
(c) A tea room.
(d) A tobacco shop.
6. Where does Stringham plan to visit his father at Christmas?
7. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
(b) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(c) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(d) Widmerpool is often alone.
8. Who is Jenkins' hostess at La Grenadiere?
(a) Madame Lapierre.
(b) Madame Leroy.
(c) Madame Leroux.
(d) Madame Lapage.
9. What does Sillers warn the boys to be sensitive about in regard to Quiggin?
(a) His father's recent death.
(b) His failing grades.
(c) His weight.
(d) His financial situation.
10. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is irritated by her.
(b) He is attracted to her.
(c) He is intimidated by her.
(d) He is bored by her.
11. What is the name of Stringham's step-father?
12. Who is Le Bas?
(a) The groundskeeper.
(b) The student advisor.
(c) The housemaster.
(d) Jenkin's roommate.
13. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
(b) To provide themselves with alibis.
(c) To have dinner.
(d) To hide their purchases.
14. What does Le Bas ask the boys to identify when they find him in the countryside?
(a) The author of a play.
(b) The author of a novel.
(c) The author of a quotation.
(d) The author of a poem.
15. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
(a) To make professional connections.
(b) To perfect his French.
(c) His whole family is there.
(d) To visit a girl he likes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Bill Truscot looking for a man to fill for Sir Magnus Donner?
2. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
3. In Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing" where is Templer late in returning from?
4. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
5. What field does Widmerpool intend to pursue an occupation in?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)