|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memories does Jenkins think over at the beginning to "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Memories of his family.
(b) Memories of summer camp.
(c) Memories of school.
(d) Memories of the war.
2. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To hide their purchases.
(b) To have dinner.
(c) To provide themselves with alibis.
(d) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
3. What happens when the boys go joyriding in the countryside?
(a) Their car hits a tree.
(b) Their car loses a tire.
(c) Their car is hit by another car.
(d) Their car gets stuck in a ditch.
4. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
(a) As earthy.
(b) As raunchy.
(c) As soothing.
(d) As aggressive.
5. What does Jenkins think of Stringham's unmarried sister?
(a) He is bored by her.
(b) He is intimidated by her.
(c) He is attracted to her.
(d) He is irritated by her.
6. Where does Templer say he was which caused him to be late in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Having dinner with his father.
(b) With a girl.
(c) At a party.
(d) Seeing a doctor.
7. What is Stringham's unmarried sister named?
8. What is particularly unique about one of Widmerpool's articles of clothing?
(a) It is too small for him.
(b) It has a large hole in it.
(c) It it a very bright color.
(d) It looks out of date.
9. What does Jenkins note about Widmerpool in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Widmerpool is the big man on campus.
(b) Widmerpool comes from a working class family.
(c) Widmerpool is often alone.
(d) Widmerpool acts before he thinks.
10. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
(a) The reason he ended up where he has.
(b) The associations between seemingly unconnected people.
(c) The mistakes he made.
(d) The influence his parents had on him.
11. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
(a) As strict.
(b) As generous.
(c) As old.
(d) As beautiful.
12. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about on the train in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) His feelings about the Templers.
(b) His eating habits.
(c) His financial situation.
(d) His plans for the future.
13. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Le Bas.
14. What does Giles ask Jenkins to do in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Contact his father on Giles' behalf.
(b) Consider transferring to another school.
(c) Meet him for dinner.
(d) Lend him some money.
15. What does Le Bas find which gets Templer kicked out of school in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A bottle of gin.
(c) A tobacco pouch.
(d) A plagiarized exam paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Le Bas?
2. What article of Widmerpool's clothing do fellow students note is unique?
3. What does Jenkins plan in order to impress a girl at La Grenadiere?
4. What does Farebrother question Jenkins about one evening in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)