|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys decide to return to their dormitory house quickly in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) To have dinner.
(b) To hide their purchases.
(c) To play a trick on Windmerpool.
(d) To provide themselves with alibis.
2. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
(a) As strict.
(b) As generous.
(c) As beautiful.
(d) As old.
3. What did Giles and Jenkins' father have a falling out over?
(a) A football match.
(b) A woman.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) An investment.
4. What is Stringham's unmarried sister named?
5. Which author do Le Bas and the boys discuss while in the countryside?
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) Conan Doyle.
6. What food do Stringham and Jenkins prepare for dinner in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(c) Chicken pot pie.
7. Why is Widmerpool at La Grenadiere?
(a) To visit a girl he likes.
(b) To make professional connections.
(c) His whole family is there.
(d) To perfect his French.
8. Who is Parkinson?
(a) The director of games.
(b) The groundkeeper.
(c) The housemaster.
(d) The headmaster.
9. Why does Le Bas say he goes into the countryside?
(a) To paint the scenery.
(b) To pick berries.
(c) To get away from the students.
(d) To hunt for butterflies.
10. After leaving Le Bas in the countryside, where does Stringham ask that the boys stop?
(a) A tea room.
(b) A tobacco shop.
(c) The police station.
(d) The post office.
11. Where is Stringham's mother from?
(c) South Africa.
12. About how old does Jenkins say Giles is in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) About seventy.
(b) About forty.
(c) About fifty.
(d) About sixty.
13. What does Giles do while visiting the dormitory which could get Jenkins in trouble?
(a) Lights a cigarette.
(b) Plays loud music.
(c) Rearranges the furniture.
(d) Brings in alcohol.
14. What memories does Jenkins think over at the beginning to "A Question of Upbringing"?
(a) Memories of school.
(b) Memories of the war.
(c) Memories of his family.
(d) Memories of summer camp.
15. What is Jenkins' relation to Giles?
(a) Giles is Jenkins' godfather.
(b) Giles is Jenkins' uncle.
(c) Giles is Jenkins' cousin.
(d) Giles is Jenkins' brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Stringham's step-father?
2. How does Jenkins describe Templer's personality?
3. Who gets picked up by the police in Chapter 1 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
4. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
5. What is Templer's first name?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)