|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Betty and Herman plan to live when he returns from war?
2. What does Trudy do with the dresser that Lottie gives her?
3. The "Gregg course" that Betty mentions refers to a course in __________________.
4. Where is Betty when she goes into labor?
5. What does Bridget make some of the local women in Ireland do while she is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the "Gregg course" teach?
2. What happens when Betty is unable to complete her letter to Herman?
3. According to Trudy, what is the best part of being abandoned by her husband?
4. How does Betty learn that Herman has joined the Navy and what is her reaction?
5. Describe the trip to Ireland for Lottie and why does she bring Bridget back to Kentucky?
6. What does Betty learn about Stanton's condition after she returns to Milk Farm Road?
7. What does Herman's enthusiasm for going to war show about him?
8. Why is Lottie apprehensive about Betty's getting married?
9. Why does Lottie advise Betty to marry Herman before he goes to war?
10. Why do Polly and Betty decide to wait until after the birth of Betty's baby to summon Lottie home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A CURE FOR DREAMS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)