|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were the Dionne quintuplets born?
2. How is Betty unlike other people at parties?
3. Betty's baby is born at nearly _________________ in the evening.
4. Who says that maternity wards are just a way to trick people out of money?
5. Where is Betty and Herman's wedding held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lottie's philosophy on helping people in the community?
2. What did the "Gregg course" teach?
3. Why is Lottie apprehensive about Betty's getting married?
4. Describe the frantic day when Betty gives birth to her daughter.
5. Who are the Dionne quintuplets?
6. How does Betty learn that Herman has joined the Navy and what is her reaction?
7. How has Lottie and Betty's relationship matured since Charles' death?
8. Describe the flurry of pre-wedding activities and plan for Betty and Herman.
9. Why does Betty feel such a strong desire to leave Milk Farm Road?
10. What is "Twilight Sleep" and for what is it used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story in A CURE FOR DREAMS is essentially told via flashbacks. What is a flashback? Why would an author choose to utilize a flashback in his work? Are there benefits to utilizing flashbacks when creating a work of fiction? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compassion seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the South in the 20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)