|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the United States with Lottie after the Ireland trip?
2. With whom does Betty spend much of her time?
3. Where do Betty and Herman plan to live when he returns from war?
4. What news arrives from Kentucky regarding Lottie's mother, Bridget?
5. Who is offended by Betty's choice of location to deliver her baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Betty's life after she moves to Richmond.
2. Why are Herman's letters a source of anxiety for Betty?
3. Who is Stanton and what is Betty's relationship with him?
4. What are the two major revelations for Betty when she visits Stanton in the hospital?
5. According to Trudy, what is the best part of being abandoned by her husband?
6. What is "Twilight Sleep" and for what is it used?
7. Describe the flurry of pre-wedding activities and plan for Betty and Herman.
8. Describe the frantic day when Betty gives birth to her daughter.
9. How does Betty learn that Herman has joined the Navy and what is her reaction?
10. What did the "Gregg course" teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story in A CURE FOR DREAMS is essentially told via flashbacks. What is a flashback? Why would an author choose to utilize a flashback in his work? Are there benefits to utilizing flashbacks when creating a work of fiction? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bridget. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bridget?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)