|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Betty's first job in Richmond?
2. Who returns to the United States with Lottie after the Ireland trip?
3. Lottie and Polly caution Betty about ____________________.
4. At what department store does Betty get her second job?
5. In what year were the Dionne quintuplets born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Herman Randolph and what is his relationship to Betty?
2. What are Betty's plans for delivering her baby and what objection does she encounter?
3. Why does Betty think that her mother will never move from Milk Farm Road?
4. What piece of furniture does Lottie give to Trudy and for what does Trudy use it?
5. Describe Betty's life after she moves to Richmond.
6. Describe the trip to Ireland for Lottie and why does she bring Bridget back to Kentucky?
7. Describe the flurry of pre-wedding activities and plan for Betty and Herman.
8. What is the W.P.A. and what is its purpose?
9. What is Lottie's philosophy on helping people in the community?
10. What does Herman's enthusiasm for going to war show about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The generation gap seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the generation gap? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)