|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Trudy tell Betty that Trudy will not have any more children?
2. Where will Betty live while Herman is away at war?
3. Betty's baby is born at nearly _________________ in the evening.
4. What can Betty not remember about Trudy's children?
5. At what department store does Betty get her second job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lottie apprehensive about Betty's getting married?
2. According to Trudy, what is the best part of being abandoned by her husband?
3. How does Lottie know that Betty is in danger with her relationship with Stanton?
4. What lessons does Trudy teach Betty regarding parenting?
5. Describe the frantic day when Betty gives birth to her daughter.
6. Why are Herman's letters a source of anxiety for Betty?
7. What is Lottie's philosophy on helping people in the community?
8. Why does Lottie take a trip back to Ireland with her mother, Bridget?
9. How has Lottie and Betty's relationship matured since Charles' death?
10. What does Betty recall about her earliest memories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the South in the 20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
A CURE FOR DREAMS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)