|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Betty and Herman plan to live when he returns from war?
2. Who says that maternity wards are just a way to trick people out of money?
3. What does Betty name her child?
4. How do Lottie and Betty travel back to Kentucky?
5. What war breaks out in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Betty is unable to complete her letter to Herman?
2. Why is Lottie apprehensive about Betty's getting married?
3. What lessons does Trudy teach Betty regarding parenting?
4. Who is Herman Randolph and what is his relationship to Betty?
5. How does Lottie know that Betty is in danger with her relationship with Stanton?
6. Why does Betty feel such a strong desire to leave Milk Farm Road?
7. According to Trudy, what is the best part of being abandoned by her husband?
8. Describe the flurry of pre-wedding activities and plan for Betty and Herman.
9. What is Lottie's philosophy on helping people in the community?
10. How has Lottie and Betty's relationship matured since Charles' death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of abandonment? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the lives of the characters? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in A CURE FOR DREAMS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family compared to most families living during the 20th century?
Essay Topic 3
A CURE FOR DREAMS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)