|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year were the Dionne quintuplets born?
2. Where do Betty and Herman go after their honeymoon?
3. Who says that maternity wards are just a way to trick people out of money?
4. Betty goes into labor two days after which holiday?
5. What advice does Lottie give Betty regarding Herman's going to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Betty learn about Stanton's condition after she returns to Milk Farm Road?
2. What is the W.P.A. and what is its purpose?
3. Who are the Dionne quintuplets?
4. How does Lottie know that Betty is in danger with her relationship with Stanton?
5. What is "Twilight Sleep" and for what is it used?
6. What does Herman's enthusiasm for going to war show about him?
7. Describe the flurry of pre-wedding activities and plan for Betty and Herman.
8. What piece of furniture does Lottie give to Trudy and for what does Trudy use it?
9. Why is Lottie apprehensive about Betty's getting married?
10. Why does Lottie take a trip back to Ireland with her mother, Bridget?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bridget. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Bridget?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)