|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main activity of the women's group that Lottie forms.
2. Who is Betty's first true friend?
3. Betty's mother thinks Betty's diet is fine as long as ____________________.
4. What are Franklin D. Roosevelt's national recovery programs called?
5. What do Lottie and Betty do after Charles refuses to take them to town to window shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the close relationship between Lottie and Betty?
2. Describe Trudy's behavior when Lottie and Betty visit her home to welcome her to the community.
3. Why is anger Lottie's reaction to Charles' death?
4. How does Lottie punish Charles for his unconscionable behavior regarding the death of the boy at the mill?
5. Because hers is not a happy marriage, how does Lottie instruct Betty in what to look for in satisfying relationships?
6. Why is Trudy raising her children on her own?
7. Why is Lottie so ashamed about Betty's illness?
8. What special talent does Lottie have and why does she take so much pride in it?
9. What is the probable reason for Charles' suicide?
10. What is the premise of A CURE FOR DREAMS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A CURE FOR DREAMS is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The generation gap seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the generation gap? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Love is an important theme in A CURE FOR DREAMS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)