|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lottie think killed Sade's husband?
2. How is Trudy able to get credit in the store?
3. What does Charles refuse to do when a boy is killed at the mill?
4. What is Lottie's friend, Sade's, last name?
5. Who is Betty's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of A CURE FOR DREAMS?
2. Why is Lottie so ashamed about Betty's illness?
3. Who does Lottie determine has killed Roy and why does she choose to keep quiet about it?
4. According to Lottie, why is a man's name for his wife an indicator of her value to him?
5. How does Lottie punish Charles for his unconscionable behavior regarding the death of the boy at the mill?
6. What is an easy way to differentiate the three characters in the book?
7. How does the author show the close relationship between Lottie and Betty?
8. Describe Trudy's behavior when Lottie and Betty visit her home to welcome her to the community.
9. What illness does Betty contract as a child and what is the cause of it?
10. Why is no serious investigation ever launched to determine Roy's murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)