|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trudy's children are known to be _________________.
(a) Very shy.
(b) Good students.
(c) Good musicians.
2. Who is the U.S. President at the beginning of the Great Depression?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Grover Cleveland.
(d) William Harding.
3. Who does Lottie think killed Sade's husband?
(a) A vagrant.
(c) An escaped prisoner.
4. Why does the person in #55 create a scene at the local store?
(a) A clerk spills molasses on her.
(b) She is denied credit.
(c) Her order has been delayed.
(d) They are out of sugar.
5. What do the men in Lottie's family want their daughters to do?
(a) Get married early.
(b) Cook for them.
(c) Work in the fields.
(d) Go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bridget always refuse to do?
2. What is notable about the friendship between Betty and the person in #55?
3. What does Lottie note about Sade's quilt when she sees it at Sade's house?
4. Men who order their wives around by command treat them like _______________.
5. Who narrates the story in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection that Betty draws between the Depression and infidelity and which of Lottie's friends is directly affected?
2. Who is Trudy Woodlief and why does she create such a stir when she arrives in town?
3. According to Lottie, why is a man's name for his wife an indicator of her value to him?
4. Because hers is not a happy marriage, how does Lottie instruct Betty in what to look for in satisfying relationships?
5. What is Lottie's recurrent romantic fantasy and how does her real life differ from the dream?
6. What is the probable reason for Charles' suicide?
7. How does the author use punctuation to indicate the speakers in the story?
8. What illness does Betty contract as a child and what is the cause of it?
9. Why is anger Lottie's reaction to Charles' death?
10. How does the author show the close relationship between Lottie and Betty?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)