|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men in Lottie's family want their daughters to do?
(a) Work in the fields.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Get married early.
(d) Cook for them.
2. Who is Betty's father?
3. The Wassermann Test is used to diagnose ___________________.
4. What do Lottie and Sade never speak about during their long friendship?
(a) Charles' infidelity.
(b) Roy's murder.
(c) Betty's illness.
(d) Lottie's childhood.
5. What is the date of the Introduction?
(a) June 25, 1960.
(b) December 15, 1989.
(c) September 15, 1954.
(d) January 1, 1917.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which politician is mentioned for his affiliation with Louisiana?
2. What does Lottie do with her dinner that makes Charles angry?
3. Betty fits in well at school but still prefers the company of ____________________.
4. What happens to Sade after her husband's murder?
5. Despite her dislike for Trudy, who still finds a way to help the woman care for her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illness does Betty contract as a child and what is the cause of it?
2. What is the probable reason for Charles' suicide?
3. In whose voice is the Introduction written and what is the message?
4. Why is Lottie so ashamed about Betty's illness?
5. What is Lottie's recurrent romantic fantasy and how does her real life differ from the dream?
6. What does Lottie do when Charles does nothing when a boy is killed at the mill?
7. How does the author show that Charles is losing his rational mind?
8. What is the connection that Betty draws between the Depression and infidelity and which of Lottie's friends is directly affected?
9. How does Lottie intervene in Sade's marriage regarding her cheating husband?
10. According to Lottie, why is a man's name for his wife an indicator of her value to him?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)