|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the store owner?
2. What is the man's last name?
3. Philip buys a ____ for Eleanor.
4. That night, Rosemary has dinner with ____.
5. What picture appears on the item?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Eleanor to depart?
2. What does Philip do after Eleanor declines an invitation to dinner?
3. Explain the opening scene of the book.
4. What dramatic scene takes place between Philip and Rosemary?
5. How does Philip's relationship with Jane change?
6. What happens when Eleanor goes to the hat shop?
7. How does Eleanor learn about Philip's death?
8. Describe the scene in which Rosemary sends Philip off to war.
9. What happens when Dora finds Philip's letter to Eleanor?
10. What is the purpose of Jane's visit to Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is loyalty. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the theme obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Jane and Dora. How does the author make it apparent that the women are in a relationship? Why do they attempt to keep it a secret? Does Jane's mother know? Why isn't the topic discussed? How might you approach the topic if you were Jane, Dora or Jane's mother? What is the opinion of Rosemary?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Eleanor Smith. What types of things would Smith be most proud of in her career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Eleanor have done or rise to in the future? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with Philip? How might Philip describe how she felt before, during and after her meetings with Philip? How would Eleanor address Philip's death?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)