|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Morgase thinking of doing when Balwer enters her tent?
2. What does Nynaeve decide will happen that day?
3. Why is Elayne drunk?
4. Who goes with Perrin when he leaves Rand's camp?
5. What does Mat protest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Perrin decide to do after his argument with Rand?
2. What does Lady Suroth want and what are Morgase's thoughts about the request?
3. Describe Moghedien's visit to the Pit of Doom.
4. Whom does Mat find in his room and whom does he realize the person is?
5. What transpires between Rand and Perrin concerning the captured Aes Sedai?
6. Describe the first encounter between Mat and Tylin when Mat moves to the Palace.
7. What happens to Rand during the fighting, though at first it seems insignificant?
8. What do Mat, Elayne, and Nynaeve argue about as they go to retrieve the Bowl of the Winds?
9. Describe the interaction between Rand and Caraline Damodred and Darlin Sisnera.
10. Describe the scene when the Aes Sedai are trying to get the Bowl of the Winds.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand al'Thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds against him, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Which is more admirable, a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and does not succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand whom you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of "A Crown of Swords". Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farshaw, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in "A Crown of Swords" and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
1. Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
2. Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why? Give examples to support your stance.
3. How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)